A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flocking: like crumbs, does this have other names? Where to buy?...  (Read 542 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redwitch
« on: May 22, 2007 11:13:27 PM »

I want to buy some flocking, but I can't find anywhere that sells it, including online. I'm wondering whether I have the wrong name for it? References to it on overseas pages seem to be describing solid fabrics.
What I'm looking for is kind of like felt or velvet crumbs. Say I have a box with bare wood or whatever, and I want to line it with felt.

The most even way to do this is to paint the inside thoroughly with glue, and put in a spoonful of these felt crumbs (tiny like dust). Put on the lid and shake real hard so the crumbs go all over the inside and stick to the glue. Open the box and tip out the excess. If this doesn't make sense to you, try visualizing it done with glitter to cover the inside with glitter. It gives a better result than actually putting on fabric.

Does anyone know of other names for this stuff? Maybe I'm searching under the wrong name and that's why I can't find it. I'm in NZ and would consider buying online from NZ or Australian shops if necessary. Have tried hardware shop, stationery shop, and craft shop.Thanks for any help.

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007 11:48:14 AM »

Sorta like what model railroaders and miniature gamers use for terrain. Flock, static grass etc.

Try here : http://www.thewarstore.com/flocksandandgravel.html and scroll down a bit.

Also, here : http://www.woodlandscenics.com/index.htm - go to landscaping > ground cover > static grass flock. Even if the color is off, you can paint it easily. I do so a lot with my minis Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
redwitch
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007 03:52:28 PM »

Thanks, I have seen some American sources, would consider Aussie or Kiwi online buying. It actually is for lining a box (not actually a box, a hollowed-out book, you know with a hidey hole inside!) I want it to be soft so painting is probably not the best idea unfortunately... thanks though, it sounds like the right kind of thing.

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007 09:32:42 PM »

A small fan brush and a drybrushing would work fine.

Assuming the colors had to be changed, of course. But those are a couple sources I found. Look for model railroad terrain, and you should be able to find at least one Aussie supplier.

I just know TheWarStore (Neil's a great guy) and Woodland Senics is a major company.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
crafty_rach
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007 07:35:59 AM »

Try stamping stores maybe? I have a feeling it used to be sold by some in the same way they sell embossing powder?

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches
Bulldog Pupcake
Coca-Cola Frosting
How to Make a Frosted Carrot Cake
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...