A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY "Nose Bidet"/Neti Pot!!!  (Read 22459 times)
Tags for this thread: recycle , reuse , upcycle , neti_pot  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2007 06:04:40 PM »

Hi!

Yesterday I watched one of the awesome Oprah episodes with Dr. Oz, and he demonstrated how to use a Neti Pot (aka "Nose Bidet"), which is supposed to help with alot of sinus and allergy problems.  I really wanted to try this, since I am cursed with horrible sinus headaches and infections, but I didn't have a neti pot of my own (and I didn't feel like traveling thirty minutes to look for one, and probably not find it  Cry), so I decided I would make my own.

After about five minutes and two pop bottles later, I had my own neti pot!  I made it from a standard, individual sized soda bottle; I washed the bottle out well, cut a 1 inch hole in the area of the bottle where the label had been, placed some warm, salted water (8 oz water, 1/4 t. salt) into the bottle, placed the neck (opening) of the bottle against one of my nostrils, carefully poured the saline solution into my nose, and waited anxiously for the water to pour out of the other nostril.  And BAM!, it did!!!  Here's a depiction of what I made:

I am so excited about this; my head feels lighter already, after two uses! 

Apparently, other people around here are also interested in neti pots; for example, on this board:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=53393.0

Here's the Oprah page explaining the uses of neti pots:
www.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_20070426_350_105.jhtml

If anyone else tries using a DIY neti pot, how did it turn out?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007 07:01:25 PM by Lava means love. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007 06:20:57 PM »

Teehee, I thought the picture was another picture of a potato stamp. Grin

But, this is such a cheaper version! I have the worst allergies ever, so my parents bought this fancy schmany version. It's kind of weird. It goes up one nostril, and down the other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007 06:44:43 PM »

It would be quite a crafting feat, making a neti pot from a potato; although on Craftster, you never know! Cheesy

A neti pot that goes in one nostril and out the other; that sounds painful-is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007 06:47:51 PM »

A neti pot that goes in one nostril and out the other; that sounds painful-is it?

Oh god. My post probably wasn't that clear then. The actually bottle doesn't go up my nose, the saline solution does. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007 07:00:20 PM »

I have to try this!!  I have horrible allergies and I seem to be allergic to everything around me.  I was just recently given medication for a sinus infection and I'm apparently allergic to the medication too!  I would like to know if it hurts though... I'm a weenie and the thought of water going up my nose scares me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007 07:08:37 PM »

I have to try this!!  I have horrible allergies and I seem to be allergic to everything around me.  I was just recently given medication for a sinus infection and I'm apparently allergic to the medication too!  I would like to know if it hurts though... I'm a weenie and the thought of water going up my nose scares me!

It doesn't exactly hurt. It just feels funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007 07:10:21 PM »

Actually, funny story, the first time I tried, I hadn't placed a hole in the bottle, and the water wasn't really going into my sinus area, so I squeezed the bottle, and the solution went in my nose and down my throat and burned!

But if you place the hole in the bottle, the water gently passes through the nostrils.  As long as you "plug" your throat with the back of your tongue, there isn't any pain or burning, and it actually feels kind of pleasant and relieving, by reducing the pressure in there.  I agree-it really feels funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007 07:12:00 PM »

Actually, funny story, the first time I tried, I hadn't placed a hole in the bottle, and the water wasn't really going into my sinus area, so I squeezed the bottle, and the solution went in my nose and down my throat and burned!

Uh, ya. I forgot to mention that. Try not to do that. Ever. It's disgusting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyandstuff
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007 07:20:56 PM »

cool idea to make one yourself.  the day that oprah show aired, my mom "made" her own neti pot by just doing the same thing w/ a measuring cup.  she said it worked really well, but i've since bought her a real one.

i've tried using my neti pot a few times, but i can't seem to do it right on my own.  i need my husband to stand beside me to make sure i tilt my head the right way...otherwise it all runs down my throat and makes me gag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abandonedcouch
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007 07:58:28 PM »

i've tried using my neti pot a few times, but i can't seem to do it right on my own.  i need my husband to stand beside me to make sure i tilt my head the right way...otherwise it all runs down my throat and makes me gag.

Hehe...I can myself asking Steve, "Hey honey, will you come pour this warm salt water into my nostril?"

I have a strange feeling I would be banned from craftster after that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Signatures are for sissies.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wendy Williams on Her Juicy New Novel
Jose Antonio Vargas LIVE
Killer Instinct by S.E. Green
To Write Teen Fiction You Have to Read Teen Fiction
Author Debbie Macomber on Her New Book, ‘Blossom Street Brides’
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...