A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,531
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Subway Accessible NYC Craft Stores!?  (Read 2930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onthe6th
« on: May 22, 2007 01:05:22 PM »

I see a thread half way down the page of craft stores in NYC, but I have a more specific question...

Like that poster, I am freaking out lately after realizing that in my suburban days, I could hop in my car and drive to A.C. Moore so, so easily. And I need craft stores! I'm talking stores that sell more than fine art, like the chocolate and packaging for lollipops (totally random), blank t-shirts, etc. You know.

List anything in Manhattan, small or big. Don't care where it is. Already know about Lee's, Pearl, Blik, but you can list these for others' sake, too.  Smiley

But also it's easy to say 'There's a Michael's in Secaucus' but the thing is that without a car, isn't it hard to get to? It's not near the NJ transit stop. So if you can list any of the relatively nearby big craft stores (Ragshop, Michaels, AC Moore, etc) and how to GET THERE, like, if you've been there yourself. It's a matter of, even if it's far out but it's right next to a subway stop, it's much more accessable than a store nearby, but nowhere near transit.

For example, I'm wondering about the Michaels in Woodside, it looks relatively close to the R/V stop, but I can't tell and I don't know what sort of area that is.

So... thankyou!!! Very, very needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007 01:49:07 PM »

A quick search of the Michael's, JoAnn, and AC Moore web sites told me that they all have stores in Staten Island (not exactly subway accessible), in addition to the Michael's in Woodside.  (This is annoying me.  I could swear there was a JoAnn in Queens...)

JoAnn does ship, and from time to time they run free shipping promotions.  The trouble is that they ship UPS, and UPS will not leave packages at apartments in non-doorman buildings unless someone is home to sign for it.   Roll Eyes  (They might leave stuff at apartments in doorman buildings, but don't quote me on that.)

If you're into needlepoint, the Erica Wilson store is at 717 Madison Avenue, at 63rd Street.  They are, however, not cheap.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007 01:49:52 PM by TheCraftyCat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stereoette
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007 07:16:46 PM »

the joann's in staten island is pretty much a straight shot on the bus... it just takes a while, plus coordinating with the ferry and such. however, the bus stop is right across the street, so you wont have to wander around S.I. lost.  also, Joann will deliver to an apartment with a doorman, if you order off the internet.

For packaging, I would go to Paper Presentation on 18th street or to the place next door (i cant remember the name right now) - just about any type of plastic or paper wrapping product ever invented is sold there. Dont let the website fool you - they have about 10,000x that much stuff there. http://www.paperpresentation.com/

blank tshirts - open a wholesale account with alternative apparel or someone similar.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007 05:01:09 PM »

I've been to the Micheals in Queens and it's about a 5 minute walk from the subway.  Go to www.hopstop.com and it'll tell you how to get there exactly.  The neighborhood is fine and they have a decent selection in the store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlawill
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007 08:57:11 AM »

yeah the michaels in queens in SUPER easy to get to. just take the R or V to the northern blvd stop. then just walk a few minutes down northern. there's a home depot and best buy right there too, just so you know which direction to walk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danabanana
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007 07:31:14 AM »

A walk down fashion ave (6th) from about 26th st up will definately yield great results!!! I found an entire store dedicated to trims and bric-a-brac, and another just for buttons!!! I work right by Mood Fabrics, too, which is an adventure not to be entered into with a time limit or low blood sugar. Bring snacks! And spelunking gear!

Also, I'm in BK, but I found that there's a RagShop nestled deep within, and if you don't mind a 30-40 min. train ride you can get some great deals! Plus if you join their mailing list they send you a 50% coupon, like, every week.

AND HERE's something I've been thinking about....

So I'm a member of Zip car now, and you rent it by the hour, and it's pretty cheap. THere are some GRRRRRREAT, cheap fabric and craft places in Jersey near my boyfriend's parents, and I would be totally down with a Saturday or Sunday adventure with a few other NYC Craftsters roadtrip to Jersey!!!! Anybody interested in this kind of thing? It's about $7/hour, so if there were 4 of us, maybe $7 each, since Zipcar pays for gas and tolls??

....also...... we should probably make a stop @ Ikea.......

ooooooooooooooooooh giddy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My literary magazine launched! www.whitelephantonline.org
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007 09:30:20 AM »

A walk down fashion ave (6th) from about 26th st up will definately yield great results!!! I found an entire store dedicated to trims and bric-a-brac, and another just for buttons!!! I work right by Mood Fabrics, too, which is an adventure not to be entered into with a time limit or low blood sugar. Bring snacks! And spelunking gear!

I just went over to Mood Fabrics' web site.

Ohhhhhh myyyyyy.

It's not terribly far from my office, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to venture over there on my lunch break - I might not come back!

I thought of Zipcar too - I've never used it, but my colleagues who use it love it.  The only reason I didn't mention it is that you have to be 21 and the OP isn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stereoette
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007 05:39:45 PM »

actually 7th ave is fashion ave ;o) but m&j is on 6th
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
starlawill
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007 04:23:46 AM »

oh zipcar is awesome!! we just joined last month....first official excursion...great adventure!!!!! woohoo!
and i think i might just con the hubster into taking me to those out of reach craft stores too.....  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scifibimoncon8
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007 11:58:14 AM »

As a slight addendum- is there nowhere in Manhattan that sells stuffing?! I'm too used to the conveniences of the suburbs and never thought I couldn't find stuffing in the town I can find accordianists at 2PM. Have any of you seen it in the fabric stores around the Fashion district?

EDIT: Shoot, just found the thread specifically on foam and stuffing below. If the internet were a person I'd buy them a round.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007 12:01:37 PM by scifibimoncon8 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

More nonsense abounds at http://rarerborealis.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Spice Up Your Tailgating Recipes
How to Make the Perfect Tailgating Burger
How to Make Paleo Stuffed Peppers
Perfect Tailgate Foods: Healthy Sausage Options
Favorite Game Day Treats Under 300 Calories
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...