A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting with Dog Hair!!!  (Read 2107 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

infantkittensyringe
« on: May 22, 2007 11:56:47 AM »

Today, at the LYS, a lady brought in a hat she had knit incorporating a stripe made from her long hair chihuahua's fur. It actually looked and felt like 100% angora! At the same store several months ago, I encountered a man commissioned to make an afghan out of 15 years worth of Samoyad fur, which he had spun into yarn that looked somewhat like mohair but was softer. Has anyone else come across knitters using dog hair?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007 12:03:51 PM »

I've heard of someone felting their dogs hair before. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Rottie Mom
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007 12:27:04 PM »

There is a website...can't remember what it is...that will wash and spin your pet's fur into yarn.

Seriously...look at my dog in the avatar photo...that dog generates enough hair that I could clothe a small - no a big - country.

He is a long coated Rottweiler and his hair/shedding is absolutely mind boggling Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007 12:29:14 PM »

Hopefully not while it was attached to the dog!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007 12:30:38 PM »

I don't believe so... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelleyj3

My dog Mandy wearing her jingle collar!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007 12:48:07 PM »

Boy!  I have a Sheltie...now THAT'S alot of hair!  Too bad she won't let me brush her...I have to take her to the groomer.  It would be cool to use her hair though...or would it be creepy???  lol!   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007 12:56:20 PM »

I don't believe so... Roll Eyes

Don't mind me, I'm just being silly.  I'm getting near the end of a long, boring day at work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pSTAT3queen
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007 01:34:49 PM »

www.vipfibers.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007 01:44:02 PM »

I think my FO's have enough cat hair knitted into them to count, just from the sheer amount floating around the apartment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MichL
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007 01:48:53 PM »

Yarn made with dog hair is called Cheingora.
Searching with that term on google should bring up some useful stuff.
In particular, this website... http://www.mdnpd.com/pd/default.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BostonBecca
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007 02:02:30 PM »

I was at the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival and there was a booth that had Buffalo yarn and yarn made from sled dogs' hair.  It was very soft, but it was very expensive (think Tilli Thomas expensive).  I bet it would be really warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaisleyPanther
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007 02:16:41 PM »

I know a lady who knit mittens from her collie's hair - they didn't have a nice feel though - all the guard hairs made them a little scratchy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastination is one of few arts in which I excel.
s_looten
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007 02:58:17 PM »

I knew a crazy lady who had poodles. She'd actually spin the fur and then knit with it.

She also used to spin dryer lint, too.

Super crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
normalmolly
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007 03:21:47 PM »

I often threaten my long haired cat Bif that I'm going to knit him into a sweater, every time I brush him.

I don't know how I'd feel if I *actually* did it. I mean, I have 3 cats, I knit, and I'm a librarian. I think this would take the "crazy cat lady" stereotype to a whole new, frightening level.

Dryer lint knitting is INTENSE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i_am_alexia
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007 11:24:25 PM »

Did you see the article posted here a while back of the lady who knitted her own hair? Does anyone still have that? Insane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zorak: Are you really that stupid?
Brak: I dare you to say that again only this time say Brak I love you.

http://i-am-famous.livejournal.com/ For all my crafty goodness.
tajhia
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007 11:30:15 PM »

I must admit that the idea of knitting with dog hair turns my stomach slightly - but then I am allergic to dogs (and I don't like the wet dog smell - maybe cos of the wheezy, sneezy asocitions?Huh?)...  the same is true of cat hair....  much as I love cats (and I do passionately - we had 7 at one point!) - I am allergic to them and they make me sneeze - the idea of knitting their fur - no way!

I have knitted hand-spun bunny fluff though and it made a very lush (if a bit itchy to me) wrap - it was a comission for a good freind .....  I have also got a wrap that I made for myself from hand-spun goat hair from my gorgeous Angora billygoat who I not very imaginatevely named Gruff....

the gruff wrap is one of my faves now but it took me months to get rid of the billy goat stink!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Safetyfox
Neither safe, nor a fox.

Im in yr grden, drinkin yr beerz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007 09:31:31 AM »

There's a book all about it. It's called Knitting with dog hair: better a sweater from a dog you love than a sheep you never met. Looks like it might be out of print though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait a minute, where's me jumper? On Ravelry of course.

Infrequently updated blog: safetyfox.blogspot.com
Rottie Mom
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007 10:02:33 AM »

I was at the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival and there was a booth that had Buffalo yarn and yarn made from sled dogs' hair.  It was very soft, but it was very expensive (think Tilli Thomas expensive).  I bet it would be really warm.

I could be rich, seriously rich...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007 10:35:58 AM »

maybe you could tell the groomer that you want what hair is brushed off? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
Rhapsodomancy
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007 05:03:36 PM »

I think it's a neat idea, albeit a bit stange when you first hear of it.  There's really no difference though, since the yarn will still be coming from an animal.  This one just happens to be fed by you and sleeps on your couch when you're at work  Roll Eyes

I remember the article aboutt he women spinning yarn out of her own hair; it took her a few years, as I recall.  Definitely a good use for shed hairs...not something I'll be trying anytime soon, though.  My own fiber is quite inferior.

As for dog yarn--sign me up!  My own dog is the kind that doesn't shed much, so I'll have to make friends with a dog that does.  There are two gorgeous Samoyeds in my neighborhood that will do juuuust fine...buahaahaha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsch, please! (a knitting blog) Updated!

You say 'kitschy' like it's a bad thing.
pandaseal
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007 07:31:33 PM »

I have a Samoyed, so this would be really easy for me to do. I'll have to ask the groomer to start saving some fur. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007 07:37:21 PM »

I have a Samoyed, so this would be really easy for me to do. I'll have to ask the groomer to start saving some fur. Smiley

Lucky...My parents wouldn't let me a big dog. Sad So I had to settle for a small dog, but she's so cute! I love her so much!

The neighbor's have a Samoyed. Everywhere she walked, fur would float around.

Edited to add:

But can you imagine the look on the groomer's face when you ask to keep the fur? And then when you tell her why? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kayla_Wte

Time to put yer big-girl panties on!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007 07:40:41 PM »

I'm getting a spinning wheel in a few months and am SO spinning my dogs' hair.  I have a newfie and a sheltie.  I'm going to make a dog coat for a lil' Chihuahua friend of ours...
See?  Dog coat from dog hair.  Not creepy at all. Wink
K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - Plied:
http://kaylaunicorn.blogspot.com

My Etsy:
http://plied.etsy.com

I sell and trade my handspun on Ravelry.  Username KaylaWte.  Add me!!!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007 07:41:20 PM »

I'm getting a spinning wheel in a few months and am SO spinning my dogs' hair.  I have a newfie and a sheltie.  I'm going to make a dog coat for a lil' Chihuahua friend of ours...
See?  Dog coat from dog hair.  Not creepy at all. Wink
K

Ya...now you guys are creeping me out...Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pandaseal
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007 07:43:57 PM »

It's okay, the groomer is my best friend's mom. Plus, she crochets, so I don't think she'll be too freaked out.
My dogs fur flies everywhere, too. It sucks because I wear a lot of black, but I love her anyway. My dad's a neat freak and vacuums twice a day because of Kesha (my dog)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grEEEn
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007 07:50:52 PM »

seriously. The dog of the family living next door to my parents house, is an outdoor dog... in canada... and noticably part wolfy. When Spring comes along, his big puffy cloud outer body comes off in HUGE CLUMPS... one time I was "helping" him shed and I filled a garbage bag with that stuff. Not a big industrial bag, just the size between bathroom and kitchen... um... a small kitchen garbage bag I guess. And he being a big canadian wolf dog, he would have such warm yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007 07:57:51 PM »

It's okay, the groomer is my best friend's mom. Plus, she crochets, so I don't think she'll be too freaked out.
My dogs fur flies everywhere, too. It sucks because I wear a lot of black, but I love her anyway. My dad's a neat freak and vacuums twice a day because of Kesha (my dog)

Ah, I see. My parents are neat freaks too. My dog doesn't shed that much (she can't, I have some allergies), but when an itty bitty bit of her fur falls off, my mom freaks out. She is a huge neat freak. Hard to imagine I was born from her. I am...not a neat freak.

And he being a big canadian wolf dog, he would have such warm yarn!

I bet it would be warm yarn, but it's kind of funny/strange when you think of spinning yarn with dog hair. But that would be soft. My doggie's fur is so soft. My mom thinks I'm crazy for nuzzling in her fur. She's never tried it. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007 09:39:49 PM »

I don't think there's anything funny or strange about spinning dog hair, actually.  The undercoats (especially winter) of certain breeds are really highly suitable for making yarn, since they are long, they grab, they are soft and VERY warm.  Really, what is weird about spinning dog fur that isn't weird about spinning hair from sheep, rabbits, goats, llamas or fiber made in the guts of an insect larva? 

My rottie/shepherd mix is shedding her winter undercoat right now, and I'm saving it back (along with last year's shed) for a friend to spin half and half with wool.  Her coat is dark, which means her undercoat is a lovely warm charcoal gray, and so soft.  And it isn't just because I like my dog.  It's because knitting has turned me into a bit of a fiber (uh, forgive the pun) hound, and I look at her fur and think what a positive waste it'd be to throw it all in the trash.

I do urge those of you who are considering saving hair from groomings to be careful, though.  Especially with breeds that have wiry guard hairs (like my rottie mix, for instance) it's really only the undercoat that is suitable for spinning, from my understanding.  The guard hairs are too slick and wiry to spin into a comfortable and stable yarn.  Also, you should consider the length of the locks.  My dog's hair is quite long, her undercoat hairs range from two to four inches.  If you're thinking of saving back hair from groomings, you may find the hair is not long enough to make a stable yarn unless is it seriously cut with some other long fiber.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
kimski
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007 03:56:00 AM »

Did you see the article posted here a while back of the lady who knitted her own hair? Does anyone still have that? Insane.

Hmmm I posted something like that.

I listened to a podcast dedicated to that topic.

Also from what I've heard, knit dog hair is very hot. Like almost too hot. So it makes sense to just knit a row or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlBrett
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007 08:31:15 AM »

I work with dogs and off and on at grooming salons and people ask to keep the hair all the time at least once every few weeks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
velveteen
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007 09:07:15 AM »

I don't know how to spin, but I have an American Eskimo and I've been very tempted to collect her under coat and my chinchilla's fur (that stuff really floats everywhere!) and combine it to make some crazy soft super warm yarn. Everything that I've read says that dog hair yarn is nearly too warm to actually wear - but I'm always cold, so I might be willing to take the risk! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2007 05:08:59 PM »

Eskimo fur...that would make some yummy yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimski
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2007 09:42:39 AM »

I work with dogs and off and on at grooming salons and people ask to keep the hair all the time at least once every few weeks

I wonder if you could stuff doonas with it (washed of course). It could be really warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2007 06:14:08 PM »

What are doonas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ollieorange
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2007 04:40:14 PM »

I know I have a book somewhere that's titled something like Stop Vacuming and Start Knitting.
Has anybody tried cat hair? I have 2 long hair cats. I think it's great to use what you've already got.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Hair to Create Volume
How to Care for Dry and Damaged Hair
How to Combat Oily Hair
How to Color Your Hair at Home
How to Create a Faux Bob Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...