A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 306,352
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another Table Cloth Skirt  (Read 2570 times)
Tags for this thread: tablecloth  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anitasplace

Monkey #1 as seen by Monkey #2

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2007 08:38:17 AM »

So I saw this round table cloth and thought that it would make a cool skirt.  Took me about 30 minutes to put together but another 30 to do the math re circumference and radius, which I got wrong and ended up with an opening 3 inches bigger than I needed.  I put a big strip of ribbing on the top to make it work, than I realized that with because of my mistake, I can wear this at my waist, on my hips or just under my bust.  I can also fold the ribbing in half for yet another look.  (Apparently, I can also wear the skirt ascue!  har har!)

So, here it is!  (I had to lighten the pics.)

Twirl Shot!  Look at that hair!!

The t-shirt is a recon as well.  Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RubyPurl
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007 08:39:41 AM »

It is beautiful.  I love the colors.  Great idea to turn a table cloth in to a skirt!  I guess I am off to the thrift stores this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
olive_soup
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007 09:21:09 AM »

wow i love the skirt. the colors are really pretty. Could you please post tutorials on how to turn a table cloth into a skirt? It's really pretty the skirt. Does it feel heavy on you? Does it feel like it's dragging itself down? I ask that cuz I assume the table cloth has a certain weight and thickness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitasplace

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007 09:52:03 AM »

Thanks!  I love the colours, too! 

wow i love the skirt. the colors are really pretty. Could you please post tutorials on how to turn a table cloth into a skirt? It's really pretty the skirt. Does it feel heavy on you? Does it feel like it's dragging itself down? I ask that cuz I assume the table cloth has a certain weight and thickness.

The skirt is heavier and thicker than a sheet, but it's not heavy.  It's not see through either, so I don't need to line it (I don't like lining things.)

As for a tute...Well, it was a (not quite perfect) circle table cloth that measured 70 inches.  I folded it in half than folded it again into quarters.  You can leave it like that, but I folded it again into 8ths.  I then took my waist measurement (circumference), divided that number by 3.14 (pie), to get the diameter of the circle that will be your waist, than divide that number by two to get the radius of the circle (that will be your waist.)  Radius is the distance from the centre of a circle to the perimeter (outside edge) of the circle.
Like I said though, I messed up.  If you want it to work, and sit without ribbing, make it much smaller than you think you will need.  You can always make the hole bigger!   Wink  Also, when you hem the waist band the waist will get larger. 
(BUT WAIT!!  Please make sure you can get it over your head if it's just going to sit on your hips!  I have little boobs and my hips are much bigger than them.) 
After you do all the figuring and thinking, if you mess up you can always add ribbing!!  I just wrapped it tightly around my waist and cut it there and attached as normal. 
If that was to wordy, as I usually am, there is at least one tute here about making a circle skirt that will explain it Oh So Much Better Than I just did!
Than
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_soup
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007 01:54:12 PM »

Wow im going to try that soon. Where did you get the table cloth?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitasplace

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007 03:25:57 PM »

Wow im going to try that soon. Where did you get the table cloth?

Well, I got it at Wal-Mart.  It has never held a plate!  I'm not sure that is in the right spirit of recon-ing, but is was on sale from a sale.  Really cheap, and the colours were calling to me!  It wanted to be a skirt, it really did!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007 03:30:27 PM »

It looks great! I agree that it really wanted to be a skirt. I now will need to keep my eyes open for circular table cloths to turn into skirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kseiznickska
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007 11:57:19 AM »

WOW that is reaaaaaally cute!! I need one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007 07:01:32 PM »

Nita, you rock!  I want one.  A lot.  I really have to get into actually making clothes for myself rather than just the kid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Na0mi
Vanillicious

Please do not attempt to change the channel.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007 04:02:05 AM »

That action shot is the best ever!

It reminds me of when I was a little girl. I had a favorite skirt that I used to love to twirl in...

Your skirt is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Youre a Rusty Nail, a Beef Stew, A Lugaroo. Thats Gangsta talk for a Nobody!"

Elegant Elliot Offen.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Tips For Taking a Great Photo
3 Tips to Taking Amazing Photos From Celebrity Photographer
Abandoned America: Photographer Snaps Derelict Spots Across The Country
Photographer Bryant Austin Reveals His Whale Photography Techniques
High School Senior Portraits Go Upscale
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...