A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,200
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "cleanliness is next to godliness" - religious themed bathroom! (lots of pics!)  (Read 16488 times)
Tags for this thread: virgin_mary , bathroom , catholic , drinking_straw  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 21, 2007 11:50:47 PM »

i have a huge obsession with catholic imagery, especially virgin mary, lady of guadalupe and sacred heart imagery. this obsession (and random catholic guilt!) is pretty much all that stuck through years of catechism classes!

i've wanted to do a mary themed bathroom for years, and when i moved back in my parents, i FINALLY had a bathroom i could paint (translation, i could sucker my sister into painting for me). she painted it this pretty blue with some left over paint, and then it sat there all bare for over a year until i got motivated.

the real impetuous for the decorating was my hope to get the studio clean by clearing out some of the unpacked boxes, but apparently this stuff didn't take up many boxes, the studio's still a disaster!

but the bathroom looks great!

above the door - two collector plates i got from a friend who cleaned out her great aunt's apartment, my hail mary mobile from the mobile swap a few years ago, new mexico tin art from one of the rounds of the "my country doesn't have that swap", and the corner of a shelf.

full view of that corner. the shelves are all from ikea, painted silver. my thumbs are still killing me from all the thumbtacks i used to put up the pom pom fringe and that i hung rosaries from! the doll on the very top shelf is from the virgin mary swap.

closer pic of the same shelf. i realized AFTER i took the pics that i hadn't rearranged the statues on the bottom shelf after i hammered the tacks in further, normally they're more lined up! the little square guadalupe hanging sideways from the bottom shelf is a pin, and it and the necklace next to it are from swaps.

close up of the lower part of the corner. all of my earrings are strung on a piece of wire (i only wear hook ones anyway), and lots of them are from swaps and stuff too. the virgin mary nightlight, and all my bobby pins and stuff in the vintage ceramic dish. the dish is sitting on a large ikea tub that won't fit into any of my cupboards. it's full of rarely used stuff like false eyelashes and face paints, stuff for special occasions!

moving along the wall, the big mirror with the ugly lights on top! there are three cheese boards hung above the mirror, with a tin sacred heart from www.sacredkitschstudio.com above the middle one. i'm really disturbed that you can buy mary cheese boards - it doesn't' seem right to cut on them!

the other corner (and the third cheese board) the jar on the top shelf is from a swap, as is the small tin wrapped mary on the bottom shelf.

closer up, the shrine up at the ceiling surrounded in small fake flowers is from a swap, the blue box below it is a clementine box i painted years ago and pasted a pic from a calendar into, the oval picture below that is from the dollar store, i covered the gold paint with fuscia glitter, my glasses towel is below that, and a resin mary necklace i received in a swap is to the left of it.

better pic of that corner overall. the lower shelf holds the majority of my candles (they won't be burned, don't worry!), and my jewelery is all on the stand on the counter. the little tray next to the stand holds a vintage bright red ceramic toothbrush holder, i use it to hold paintbrushes as they dry and stuff. i also keep my stamp cleaning supplies there. to the right of that is my PAINTED VELVET mary hanging below the window. i love it!

to the right of that window is the little nook that holds the toilet. i spent hours today making the pompom curtain! i have a large art piece in mind that will hang there once i finish (okay start AND finish) it, which will cover the bottom of the curtain. i didn't want to waste pom poms by making it longer than it needed to be!

closer up of the pom pom curtain and the awesome applique mary bag stopmoshun made me a few years ago. i bought the supplies for this curtain two or three years ago, and never got around to doing it until now! i used 399 glittery blue pom poms (they were in packs of 100, and i had 1 left!) and 2/3s of a pack of striped blue straws from ikea. they're strung on blue embroidery floss that i apparently bought at the same time, and then threaded onto a tension rod.

and then next to the toilet is the shower (behind the open door!). i hung a vintage polyester curtain over it, again on a tension rod, but it easily slides to the side so that i can open the shower door.

and that's it! it's a pretty small bathroom, but now it's got lots of stuff! i KNOW i still have more in storage, especially more wallhangings, so i'll add them once i find them, as well as all my religious books that will go on the shelf in the window sill. i have a few art projects in mind, the art piece for over the toilet, and hopefully a decorated toilet seat cover, but i'm happy to have finally got everything set up! if i'm lucky, i'll receive more fabulous mary stuff in future swaps, and i'll find more stuff in future shopping expeditions, so it'll be ongoing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007 12:05:52 AM »

whoa! thats a prety kick ass bathroom! i'm in love wth the pom pom curtain
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007 04:44:45 AM »

holy whoa, thats quite the bathroom! I love it!

i'm really disturbed that you can buy mary cheese boards - it doesn't' seem right to cut on them!

And yet you hang them from your wall if your bathroom.... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007 09:05:56 AM »

I love your bathroom. Shocked I'm not only an admirer of Our Lady but I love that shade of blue. The pom-pom curtains are so great. So you are threading pompom-staw-pompom on embroidery thread? I love the texture it adds to your room. What a sanctuary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007 10:39:26 AM »

I LOVE it.  If I ever happen to move to Vancouver can I live with you? I promise I won't become an unwelcome houseguest.  Wink

I also love the fact that you had ONE pompom left over.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007 10:55:30 AM »

Holy crap! (pun intended) That's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007 11:10:40 AM »

thanks everyone!

yes, the pompom curtain is pom pom-straw-pom pom. the straws were the bendy kind, so i cut that part off and cut the straws into varying lengths.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
hedgehog91
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007 12:25:50 PM »

*goes in search of cute pompoms like that*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007 02:29:18 PM »

So sweeeeet!! I love the color and all the candles. I'm having flashbacks of my grandma's house!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
Stifflersmom

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007 06:20:56 PM »

That bathroom ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Polymer Clay Beads
How to Make Beaded Watch Bands
How to Make Paper Beads
How to Make Beaded Hoop Earrings
How to Make Beaded Headbands
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...