A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,049
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving to Providence!  (Read 5129 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abbeychristine

Frankie says: Relax.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2004 09:01:44 AM »

Alright, you fabulous Craftsters--
I am moving from Indianapolis to Providence in January and need to know, well, everything, about my new city! I need info about good/artsy/fun/young/CHEAP neighborhoods, the best thrift stores, websites to look for jobs, crafty places/groups, etc etc etc. Is there anyone out there from Providence? My best friend and I are moving there and only know two people, so I'm looking for New City Friends, too Smiley Thanks so much!

Abbey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'abbeychristine.etsy.com')
sewing stars
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004 06:53:11 AM »

you are more than welcome to join in the crafty night group where four of us meet up and chat while doing our crafty projects...

we meet at the Panera Bread in Cranston Mondays from 7pm-9:30pm.

to get there:

take 95 south (from Providence), take exit 14 and bear the right. take the second exit for reservoir ave. turn right off the exit, and get over to left lane. just past the first light there will be a left hand turn lane, turn left into the parking lot, there is a Pier One, bank, and the Panera. 

hope to see you there, you can pick our brains...

-teresa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
abbeychristine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004 09:35:43 AM »

awesome, thanks so much! i'm totally down!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluesparkie

crafter and fashionista

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004 10:51:14 AM »

I just moved here a few months ago so I'm still learning about cool stuff. 
I haven't found a whole lot of thrift stores in the area, but there is a Savers on route 2 in West Warwick that sometimes has cool stuff, and a cute but expensive vintage store in Wakefield where I live. 
That's about it, if anyone knows of other good thrift stores around, let me know, I miss the thrifty goodness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/bluesparkie

I'm not a nymphomaniac, I'm a compulsive liar.
abbeychristine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004 03:21:14 PM »

bluesparkie, where did you move from?
i am a thrifting junkie, so what a bummer to hear that there aren't many good ones to be found in Providence. Hmmm...Well, I guess I'll just have to shop a lot before I leave and get it out of my system Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing stars
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004 07:55:00 AM »

there is the salvation army in Providence on pitman (just down from the eastside market place), there is a better savers in east providence. to get there take 195 to the broadway exit, take a left off the exit, then take a left the large intersection at rt. 114(? i think) where there is a dunkin donuts, and cvs...then turn left at the light where the Ames shopping center/Gregg's is and on the right side is a shopping center with an iparty in it, and the savers that is WAY better than the warwick one.

sorry, my directions include a dunkin donuts...but there is no helping it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
bluesparkie

crafter and fashionista

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004 05:38:29 PM »

I moved here from Portland, Oregon, there are so many fantastic thrift stores out there, and even more book stores!  So fabulous... but Rhode Island is growing on me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/bluesparkie

I'm not a nymphomaniac, I'm a compulsive liar.
lret
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004 07:29:53 AM »

You should check out the Salvation Army in West Warwick.  9 times out of 10 you'll find some great stuff there and if not theirs a little thrift store across the street that always has neat treasures.  They have odd hours but it's usually open during the day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004 09:30:52 AM »

Isn't there a consignment/thrift shop on Hope St.?  Act II or something like that?  Is Rag and Bone still around?  Back in the day, there were great vintage clothes places on Thayer but I've think they've been pushed out by the Gap-ification process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lret
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004 11:24:42 AM »

Thayer street used to be filled with 2nd hand clothing stores but they all got pushed out by the larger stores.  Where Urban Outfitters is their were two amazing vintage clothing places and a record store once upon a time.  And their was a great place in the building where Starbucks is now.  Also above Oop their was a place for a little while but that's gone too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewing stars
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004 12:02:21 PM »

there is a vintage clothing store above the smoothie king...i think, it 's called 'blue dress'.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
boygirlparty
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005 11:29:47 AM »

Thayer street used to be filled with 2nd hand clothing stores but they all got pushed out by the larger stores.  Where Urban Outfitters is their were two amazing vintage clothing places and a record store once upon a time.  And their was a great place in the building where Starbucks is now.  Also above Oop their was a place for a little while but that's gone too.

aw, good old mobee's music.  remember venus in furs, too?  i loved that place.

hee hee!  for those moving here- get ready for lots of rhode islanders to tell you what "used to be there" where crappy stuff is now!  i love how rhode islanders talk like that.
savers out thrifts many thrift stores in the country, especially those in cities!  i think the east providence savers is kinda always picked through, but if you're there on a regular basis, then you're there to do the picking through first!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.boygirlparty.com: illustrations and fun stuff by susie ghahremani
http://shop.boygirlparty.com: the shop at boygirlparty.com
lullababy
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005 11:15:07 AM »

salvation army on route 44 i believe. I dunno, it's close to ric.
what else? Wickenden street is great. I love indigo herbals, there's a record shop, a paint your own pottery place, and vintage appliance, furniture, and such stores.
I'm moving to connecticut, but I would have befriended you otherwise.
Don't forget about the RISD student and alumni sales, craftland (not sure if it's coming back but it was there this winter) thayer street art festival, etc.
Check the providence phoenix online for jobs and tons of neat things.
AS220 is an awesome place for art workshops, music, and artsy gallery type shows.
If you ever feel like going to a cool flea market though (I don't really think there are any in RI) you could always drive an hour from providence and visit connecticut. I'd be happy to show you around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Endless Liz
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006 09:35:01 AM »

hey ya! I'mmoving to Providence this summer to be closer to work and it'd be nice to meet some new people in the city.

also, boygirlparty: I've checked out your portfolio before (through tiny showcase, I think?) and really loved your stuff. Who knew you were practically in my backyard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boygirlparty
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006 11:22:06 AM »

also, boygirlparty: I've checked out your portfolio before (through tiny showcase, I think?) and really loved your stuff. Who knew you were practically in my backyard!

thank you so much!  i was in rhode island for the last eight years, but i moved to california in october.  i don't miss it yet, but i'm sure someday i will.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.boygirlparty.com: illustrations and fun stuff by susie ghahremani
http://shop.boygirlparty.com: the shop at boygirlparty.com
Crafterbynite
Customizing the world ..one shirt at a time

Extraordinary machine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006 10:09:25 PM »

we meet at the Panera Bread in Cranston Mondays from 7pm-9:30pm.

Do you all still get together I would love to join you if you do
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ETSY :: Wist :: Blog :: Fb :: Twitter
actionallison
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006 04:08:45 PM »

We still meet! The "Yo" folder usually has the most current information. Besides tonight (most of us couldn't make it), we meet on Wednesdays around 7:30 at the Panera in Cranston. Do you need directions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006 05:41:38 PM »

Isn't there a consignment/thrift shop on Hope St.?  Act II or something like that?  Is Rag and Bone still around?  Back in the day, there were great vintage clothes places on Thayer but I've think they've been pushed out by the Gap-ification process.

Gapification has ruined so many little RI places! Agh! I love the East Side, but so many places have gone "high end" aka too fricking expensive for stuff I could make myself! There are a few little consignment places in Prov I still like... Into the Wardrobe on Brook St. (though I haven't been in a while), Foreign Affair of course,
But Salvation Army is really the best all purpose bet for thrifting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
wittyandcreativex
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006 05:53:04 PM »

eek! people in providence! i am visiting my grandma in middletown for about 3 weeks in august and need to find some good (and cheap) stores to shop around (other than old navy and walmart!) but ive never actually gone and walked around providence or anything...or warwick..or cranston...i need to learn how to drive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oh my squash!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Clements Talks About Report Cards
Remixing Shakespeare
Ellen Marmur Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Clinton Kelly Reveals His Favorite Movie
The Sweet Far Thing Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...