A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Christmas treats  (Read 2458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Heatherb
« on: November 14, 2004 08:54:34 AM »

I try to make a small crafty treat every Christmas for friends and those I work with - I have made candy cane reindeers in the past but would like to try something different this year.  A friend of mine suggested glass balls with popcorn in them.  Any more ideas?

Thanks  Smiley
Heather
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004 09:43:24 AM »

do you mean stuff you can eat, or little gifts too? This year i"m making candles covered in cinnamon sticks.  Its really simple but looks nice, and smells great.  I'll post a pic if i remember, but i just bought the little pilar candles, probably about 3 inches high and 3 inches in diameter, and stand the cin. sticks vertically agaisnt the candle.  I Secure them w/a hair elastic temporarily just so its easier to work with. once you have all the sticks lined up, tie w/ twine or hemp to give it a rustic looks.  You could probably use some sort of Christmas ribbon as well.  It takes like 10 minutes to make and is such a nice gift.   I'm also doing the wire wrapped servers that someone suggested.  I'd link but i cant find it now..lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
strawberrytart

"Dress up, leave a false name, be legendary."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004 10:02:21 AM »

One year I gave my co-workers hot chocolate kits with homemade mix (there are gazillions of hot chocolate mix recipes on the web -- for all kinds of different flavors) and marshmalllows in baggies packed into mugs tied with ribbons.  Everyone really liked the gift.  Also, you could always hand paint something on the mugs if you wanted a craftier angle.

Last year I gave papier mache bowls (painted wildly, of course) filled with gougeres.  The great thing about gougeres (which are little cheese pastries) is that everyone will think you're a French pastry genius, and they're actually really easy to make -- they just require a lot of stirring.  Also, sometimes people appreciate getting a food gift that isn't sweet.  If nothing else, it really makes your gift stand out.

Hope this helps -- however, I have no idea what I'm giving this year!  I'm going to watch this thread myself...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just because you're the smartest lunatic in the asylum
doesn't mean you should be handing out the meds."
http://www.codenamesarah.com/
Heatherb
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004 06:05:39 PM »

Thank you both for your suggestions!  I am considering both of these - I usually make 30-40 of them and they don't have to be something you can eat but who doesn't like hot chocolate!  I will post any more ideas I will come across as well Smiley

Thanks again!
Heather
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004 06:53:55 PM »

Cheese straws (sticks) are very easy & fast, & not to expensive.   Get frozen puff pastry. It's very importanmt that you take out only the shreet you are working on at that time so it doesn't dry out. keep the rest wrapped in saran & covered with a damp towel.  Open up one sheet of pastry & sprikle with grated cheese parm. & a little garlic powder & celery seed.  (dill & lemon pepper,  cinnamon & sugar, basil & lime rind. are all good ... dreid spices seem to work well)   Then cut into log think strips & twist them & lay on a cookie sheet.  bake according to directions on the package.  a few in a long clear cello bag ties with a liltte twine with a nice bottle of imported beer or a split or wine make a nice gift.

A large cooking whisk stuffed with Hershey Hugs & Kisses & a tag that says whisking you a Happy Holiday Seaon is quick & easy.

I rran across this recipie today, sounds alittle differnt. 
CHEESE WAFERS
2 c. of flour                                 1 tsp. salt                   1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder                  2 sticks of butter          10 oz. pkg. extra sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
Mix together until smooth. Add 2 cups Rice Krispies. Make into small balls and flatten on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees until slightly brown 10 to 12 minutes. Makes 120 wafers.

=)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2004 07:52:15 AM by DrewsUSAgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamarack

the mad crafter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004 08:23:14 AM »

Anybody got any idead for the highly allergic/dietary freaks out there who don't eat dairy products!!??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather be quilting!
sarcasmik
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004 08:39:36 AM »

those cinnamin candles just might save me!  i couldn't think of anything to make my aunts, and they're all into the rustic look, so the twine-wrapped candles are perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"we are the music makers,
          and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004 08:54:23 AM »

Anybody got any idead for the highly allergic/dietary freaks out there who don't eat dairy products!!??

How about meringues?  They won't work for vegans, but they are dairy free and even wheat free for celiac types.  They're basically just egg whites, sugar, and some flavoring (vanilla, chocolate, whatever) and you can make really cute shapes with a pastry bag and a large star tip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004 10:09:53 AM »

those cinnamin candles just might save me!  i couldn't think of anything to make my aunts, and they're all into the rustic look, so the twine-wrapped candles are perfect!

aww, I'm so happy! Smiley    just make sure when your wrapping the cinnamon around, you hold them there with a hair elastic.   Its so much easier than trying to hold all the cinnamon sticks and trying to tie the twine w/ one hand..lol...trial and error.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use Architectural Desktop Network Tool Palattes Part 2
How to use Architectural Desktop - Wall Cleanup with XREFS
Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup Merges and Joins
How to use Architectural Desktop ADT 2007 CURVED ROOF
How to use Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup at Floor Lines
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...