A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recon for summer  (Read 21144 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anitasplace

Monkey #1 as seen by Monkey #2

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2007 04:54:06 PM »

I made this for my monkey #4.  I realized that he didn't have many clothes for summer, because his brothers wore them all out, so this is my solution.
It is a thrift store shirt, size 7 or 8 boys, that I bought on sale for $1.50.  (My local thrift store is quite expensive.  They are usually $3.00.)  I just sewed the side seams in a little, and sew in a crotch.  Added a piece of elastic in the back, folded the sleaves up twice and stitched them in place, then re-hemed the legs because the shirt was longer in the front and back then at the sides.

Ta-Da!

Front...

Back...

Side...

Action...

Little monkey was a little under the weather when these pics were taken, but he is a trooper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007 04:56:43 PM »

I LOVE IT!

So cute!  He totally needs a little tie. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anitasplace

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007 05:01:57 PM »

Great idea!  I have some 70's and 80's ties from the Thrift store I could make one from.  It has a little breast pocket, I could add a matching hanky too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karen4432002
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007 06:02:53 PM »

That is so cool. You did a fantastic job.

Kazz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kedrock
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007 06:49:36 PM »

I am impressed.  What a great way to make an outfit!  I love those one piece summer get ups.  No need to find matching shorts or tops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spazzy
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007 08:32:08 PM »

So cute!  I've had an idea for doing this for my son with big tshirts for summer pjs (so he cant take his diaper off like he loves to)! 

How old do you think is too old for a kid to wear these one piece thingys? lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://delainie.etsy.com -- Life is too short to be uncomfortable!

the sun is up, the sky is green, wishin my life could be just a dream --Greensky Bluegrass
cheytown
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007 08:36:53 PM »

adorable, and it looks really comfy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitasplace

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007 08:46:34 PM »

Thanks everyone!  It took about 20 minutes to make and I love instant gratification!

How old do you think is too old for a kid to wear these one piece thingys? lol

I've been thinking the same thing.  Monkey #3 will be four in July; is he still young enough?  I think I'll take him to the thrift store with me next time and he can decide if he wants one or not!  Then I'll make it for him anyways.  Wwhhaa Haa Haa!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007 08:53:25 PM »

Wow-a cute idea for boy recon! Adorable lil un, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
glittergirl94
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007 05:04:38 AM »

Awesome!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jatoha
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007 05:35:13 AM »

Wow, this brings back memories!!  I used to do the same thing with polo shirts & t-shirts for my little guy.  (he's 11 now!)  I would just buy size 6x or 7 shirts and sew snaps on the bottom hem for the crotch.

I never thought of doing it with a button up shirt, that looks very dapper!  Your little guy is a Q-T!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007 07:46:31 AM »

This is really clever and looks very cute on him! What a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
anitasplace

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007 09:22:24 AM »

Wow, this brings back memories!!  I used to do the same thing with polo shirts & t-shirts for my little guy.  (he's 11 now!)  I would just buy size 6x or 7 shirts and sew snaps on the bottom hem for the crotch.

I never thought of doing it with a button up shirt, that looks very dapper!  Your little guy is a Q-T!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Back in the recesses of my mind there lies a repressed memory of a 15 year old me sitting behind a sewing machine turning little t-shirts into littler rompers for my prego sister.  I was her sweat shop.   Cheesy

Thought I would add some pics of the first one I made.  I finally got photos of him in it.  It doesn't fit as well as the blue one because I took the sides in to much and I left very little ease (?) in the arms.  Also cropped the crotch to high.  He'll be able to wear it for a while.  Thinking about adding a strip of orange in the crotch to make it a better fit!

Oreo always gets into the pics.

Close-up, because he is just so cute!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007 11:05:26 AM »

Ah, the orange is great too, although it does put me in mind of a traffic cone. 

Back in the recesses of my mind there lies a repressed memory of a 15 year old me sitting behind a sewing machine turning little t-shirts into littler rompers for my prego sister.  I was her sweat shop.   

I have an intention to exploit my 17 yr old sister this summer in a similar manner.  Since I'm almost certain that it didn't damage you much  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apixiegrl
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007 11:13:25 AM »

totally adorable.. !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarysMom
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007 11:16:28 AM »

Its adorable casual enough for everyday but dressy enough for something like church. I might have to try this with some tee's for my monkey.

Oh and BTW, I dont think 4 is too old to wear something like this at all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shoegazer
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007 12:55:05 PM »

I am a little challanged when it comes to sewing. Do you think it would be too much to add a tut? I think I would need a little help (like seeing a visual image of how you shaped the crotch) before I attempted to do this on my own. Its a great idea, and a fun way to recycle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitasplace

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007 01:07:02 PM »

Ah, the orange is great too, although it does put me in mind of a traffic cone. 

Back in the recesses of my mind there lies a repressed memory of a 15 year old me sitting behind a sewing machine turning little t-shirts into littler rompers for my prego sister.  I was her sweat shop.  

I have an intention to exploit my 17 yr old sister this summer in a similar manner.  Since I'm almost certain that it didn't damage you much  Cheesy

Well...I didn't sew again for 17 years!  Always new I could, just couldn't bring my self to lay out the pattern, pin, cut, pin...you know!  Repressed memories and all!  Yet another reason I like recons so much, no pattern!!!

I am a little challenged when it comes to sewing. Do you think it would be too much to add a tut? I think I would need a little help (like seeing a visual image of how you shaped the crotch) before I attempted to do this on my own. Its a great idea, and a fun way to recycle!

About a tute, I'm quite computer illiterate!  Give me a couple of hours and I will see what I can come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007 03:22:14 PM »

Even if you ARE computer illiterate (which I doubt), you are a GENIUS! This is an adorable adaptation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dottyspots
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007 03:38:26 PM »

What a great idea!  He looks fabulous in it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinkerpuppet
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007 08:45:31 PM »

That's great! He looks so adorable in it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Jen~
straw_holder

still striving for perfection...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007 10:30:33 PM »

This is such a fabulous idea, and he looks absolutely adorable in it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitasplace

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007 10:35:30 PM »

It got chilly here today, so I put some jeans on him!  He is tooting the watering can.

Now on to my tute...
Here is a pic of a shirt that would work if another son hasn't claimed it already.  I've placed paper (couldn't find any masking tape) on the shirt marking out about where you would want to put a seam.  Seam first, than cut!  Do both sides too of course.  I just got lazy.

Finish the seam how ever you wish.  I added some elastic at the back about in the middle between the top of the shirt and the top of his diaper.  I might add it at the sides next time.

Even if you ARE computer illiterate (which I doubt), you are a GENIUS! This is an adorable adaptation!

Oh my goodness!  I almost fell out of my chair!!
Its adorable casual enough for everyday but dressy enough for something like church. I might have to try this with some tee's for my monkey.

Oh and BTW, I dont think 4 is too old to wear something like this at all!
Yep!  Great church outfit!  And thank for the yes vote on the 4 year old!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
srkmoore
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007 05:52:11 AM »

That is a great recon! I love that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007 10:14:39 AM »

What a great idea!  I never save the older boys' clothes, b/c they are so much older than the baby... but now I'll have to re-think that.... thanks for posting!  Adorable little one, btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UpKnitCreek
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007 10:31:31 AM »

So cute! now all you need is a baby-size tie to complete the look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamamarce
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007 11:14:00 AM »

This is fantastic!!
And I love the reuse aspect of it.  Makes me think I need to hang on to any of hubby's older shirts just in case I actually get this sewing thing licked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitasplace

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007 08:22:58 PM »

So cute! now all you need is a baby-size tie to complete the look!

Looking for cool vintage tie to resize for him.  I can hardly stand even thinking about how cute that will look.

This is fantastic!!
And I love the reuse aspect of it.  Makes me think I need to hang on to any of hubby's older shirts just in case I actually get this sewing thing licked!

Forget licking the sewing thing (might stick your tongue!  Ha ha, sorry  Cheesy ) Just roll with it!  Stitch ripping is fun!!  Undecided

What a great idea!  I never save the older boys' clothes, b/c they are so much older than the baby... but now I'll have to re-think that.... thanks for posting!  Adorable little one, btw.

I just read your bio and wow!  Can't believe you have time to sew.  Me too, when the kids go to bed that is when I get ME time!  Right now my "getting sane" craft/kick is sewing! 

That is a great recon! I love that!

Extended family are now giving me their old cloths to recon.  It's great, but I'm running out of room to store it all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
denenee
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007 01:48:36 PM »

Oh, that looks so cute on him. By the way what a great idea. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007 03:01:17 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial-I'm the kind of seamstress who needs pictures Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
addisyn.amelia
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007 05:56:02 PM »

cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzy_fartzy68
"The best index to a person's character is (a) how he treats people who can't do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can't fight back." Abigail van Buren

Macaroni & Cheese

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008 05:45:47 PM »

I don't get how you finished the crotch. Did you add buttons or snaps or just sew it closed like shorts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jacki, blog at http://mac-aroni-n-cheese.blogspot.com/ Check out what cool stuff I'm up to!
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008 10:07:07 PM »

I don't get how you finished the crotch. Did you add buttons or snaps or just sew it closed like shorts?

I think it's just sewn closed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seeker83
Plays with sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008 11:11:30 PM »

How adorable! I love that idea! It looks great, and I'm not even sure I'd guess it was a recon if I saw it  and wasn't told.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
becgordo
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2008 01:58:53 PM »

I love this.  I will have to try this for my son!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sjones
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011 10:44:39 AM »

I know this an older one I just wanted to say wow! It looks awesome! DO you think you will ever do a tutorial for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Asian Vegetables with Soy Sauce Gravy Recipe
Sirloin Steak and Asparagus Stir Fry Recipe
Ramen Noodle Stir-Fry
How to Make Sticky Rice and Eggs with Jalapenos
How to Make Simple Fried Rice
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...