A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i need some help from knitters and/or RENT fans  (Read 491 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Psychocraftishredhead

That's the double sex pteridactyl party truck cake

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2007 10:06:32 AM »

So, basically i want to knit mark's sweater from RENT, but i don't know any good patterns for it.  I'm not exactly the worlds greatest knitter either, i came on here as a hooker and a sewer, and i just recently picked it up.  Can anyone give me a pattern for this, or something to work off of, or just some advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Concerning Monopoly*
Girl:  There was this really controversial move in the 1983 world chamionship...
Boy: Get. Off. Me.

KNOW THYSELF
ImaginationsEnd
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007 04:56:06 AM »

I've spent all morning looking through my copy of the big giant book of Rent...It's got all the stuff from the stage productions, but nothing from the movie. I'm hoping you're looking for the Broadway sweater... It looks as though it was a comercially manufactured piece...very tiny stitches and a lot of stretch to it. I'd suggest cotton with a bit of elastic in it (I wish I could remember the name of the one I like...) or perhaps a very fine animal fiber of some sort. DK weight is the heaviest weight of yarn I would go with to achieve even something like this. It isn't a bulky or medium weight sweater at all. Needles from size 1.5 to 2.76 US....These are just my ideas, though.

The main body is a dark red color, with a baby blue stripe right across the bustline. The sleeves are baby blue with a dark red stripe around the bicep. These look as though they are all done in the commerical equivalent of stockinette stitch - they look smooth, not bumpy. The hem of the garment is frayed - no finishing, it looks as though it was cut for that "urban chic" look. A cast on or bind off that doesn't stand out would be good for the bottom hem. An invisible cast on or bind off would be good. I'd knit the sweater in pieces....Front and Back, from the bottom up, Sew together at the shoulders and side seams, and work the arms in the round. The sleeve cuffs are also not finished in any fancy way...so definately an invisble bind off. The collar looks like a standard circle of ribbing. 2x2 from the looks of things, although a 1x1 ribbing would work just as well for heavier weight yarn, or if you are a person of "delicate" build.

I probably could try my hand at drafting a pattern for this, if you really, desperately need. But I'd wait to hear someone else's input on the issue before taking that suggestion. Maybe someone else has an easily alter-able pattern for you. I can't think of any off-hand.

And, of course, this is for the broadway style sweater. I'm not sure I recall what the movie sweater looks like....so I may be no help at all.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
ohmyword
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007 05:08:20 AM »

I can't be of much help other than to say try to use one of those sweater wizard things.  Oh, and the sweater he wore in the movie is the same sweater he wore in the stage productions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy

I do personal swaps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How We Came to Medicate More Than Four Million Children with ADHD
Guide on How to Raise a Drug-Free Kid
A Personal Connection to Cosby
The History of the Cosby Sweater
Behind the Book: We Are Not Ourselves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...