A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
797 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Accidentally on Purpose" from SnB Nation  (Read 38541 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

debacle
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004 09:34:25 PM »

okay, i'm excited that you're doing this vest!
dropping the stitches down is actually super easy, as is binding off two stitches in the remaining runner thread ( where one stitch got dropped. ) However, working out the order of dropping those stitches around the shaped neckline in front was quite a beeyotch. It was checked and checked and checked, so it should work out just fine. lemme know if you run into trouble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004 08:03:55 AM »

I really want to make this vest but I am petrified!   I supposes that is all the more reason to give it a whirl........Gertie, you can expect a few desperate PMs as I get started!  I just need to finish up my spiderweb capelet.......as it turns out yarn overs aren't nearly as scary as I expected!

BTW, what yarn did you use?  Patons or a sub?

And don't forget to post a pic when you are done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gertie_T
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004 08:59:52 AM »

Yes, Boo, you must make it! After those baby slippers, you are on FIRE! And you're making the spiderweb capelet?! Dude, you will totally be able to do this vest.

I'm not using the Patons, I'm using an Anny Blatt yarn from the 80's called Hawaii (!) in a very 80's teal color. I'm sure it's discontinued now, I just had a bunch of it my aunt passed on to me. My mother kept nagging me about it, i.e. "What are you going to do with that Beauuutiful yarn Aunt Susan gave you?" I had no idea and it was giving me a major guilt factor--until, that is,  I got my fabu new SnB and saw this rad vest, and it all clicked.

Don't you worry, there WILL be pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodcleanfungirl
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004 09:54:58 AM »

i finally got my snb nation from barnes and noble last night (no stores in la have it yet) and this vest is definitely on my to do list.  i can't wait to see your version in teal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004 10:04:41 PM »

I can't find the Patons yarn!  How crazy is that.  Guess I'll consult my SnB Naation to find myself a suitable substitution.

How's yours coming Gertie?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gertie_T
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004 09:57:34 PM »

You can't find the Patons?! That is a little crazy. I think anything that says "mercerized cotton" in a similiar weight will produce a similar effect to that in the book.

I'm almost done with mine, though I've reached a bit of an impasse. I knit up to the armholes in the round, then worked the front back and forth. I got to the top and dropped the sitches, and worked out the crazy neckline. But after I finished all this, I noticed that it's already quite big enough around to fit me the way I want it to (it expands as you do the drop stitches, as the ladders take up more space than regular stockinette stitches). If I drop all the stitches on the back, it will be baggy on me.

I'm not sure what to do with the back now. I'm thinking I might keep it solid stockinette stitch. But I'll probably need to increase a few stitches on each side so that the shoulders are wide enough.

Sound good to everyone? Are you out there Debbie? I need guidance.

I'd really like to finish it this weekend and post pics! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
debacle
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004 05:51:48 AM »

hey -well, you know, the thing's a vest, so there should be some ease there (it needs to fit over you + a t-shirt or something.

modified to say: (cause i answered too quickly, spam dammit!)
the gauge before dropping stitches on this vest is 26/4", or 6.5 sts to inch, but 4 sts/inch *after* the stitches are dropped. in fact, dropping a stitch adds an entire *extra* stitch in width to the piece, so, for instance, since the small requires that you drop  14 stitches, this adds 14 stitches in width, and at this gauge of 6.5 sts per inch,  means you're adding another 2 inches in width when you drop the stitches. you're right that if you don't drop the stitches on the back, the front will be a bit wider than the back. (2" to be exact.) but i would just pin everything together and see if it works anyway. It's all kind of loose and possibly forgiving. or, i guess you could slowlly, along the length of the sleeve hole, widen the stitches for the back (adding 14 stitches, 2 stitches 7 times), but that means the bottom of the vest will fit very differently than the back and that might be weird.

what size did you make, btw?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004 10:46:46 AM by debacle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004 08:55:02 AM »

Oh, yikes. I just figured out my problem. Frickin' gauge. I made a swatch before starting, and it came out right, and since my gauge has always been pretty regular, I never checked again. Crap. I was getting 5 stitches to the inch, instead of 6.

I'm making the medium, but now the front of my vest is coming out to 21 inches across. If I make the back the same way, it will come to 42 inches around, giving me an ease of almost 7 inches in the bust. That's a little more than I wanted.

And Debbie, you're right, it will look way weird if I make the top bigger than the bottom. I guess I just need to suck it up and finish it how it is. Sigh. Maybe I can give it to a busty friend for Christmas.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
debacle
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004 10:47:40 AM »

dude. try it. maybe it won't look that bad the way it is (with no stitches dropped down the back). I hope so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joygoddess
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004 02:18:18 PM »

I'm having trouble finding a LYS that carries Patons Grace too... I'm hoping that my friend/fellow knitter will split a bag of 10 balls for $37.50 (perfect for two smalls!) that I'm going to buy online... here's a link for you, just in case:

http://www.discountyarnsale.com/Grace.htm

They seem to have a good selection of colors too, which is nice. I'm trying to convince my friend to split the bag since I have no desire to make the same vest twice... although, I guess I could just sell the extras. We'll see what happens... Good luck and rock on!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Swimwear for Plus-Size Women
Best Bathing Suits for Women Built Like Kim Kardashian
How to Pick the Right Swimsuit Cover-Up for Your Body Type
How to Wear Your Red Jeans with Style
Scottish Fashion Is Back in Brouge
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...