A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 301,537
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Accidentally on Purpose" from SnB Nation  (Read 42069 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bryonyramsden
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2005 11:39:47 AM »

I so want to make this, but the biggest size is too big (I'm a 44 inch bust at the mo, so 48 is definitely too big for a snug fit), so I just want to thank Alyssa for the link to downsizing!  I'm sad that there are no finished versions yet though Sad  I'd love to see it on someone other than the model before I jump in the deep end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.co.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
debacle
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2005 08:10:54 PM »

Hey zephren- the instructions for doing the Dropbindoff dealy are at the bottom of page 145, under "abbreviations," but i'll admit, it looks like it got a bit mangled during editing.

It might be clearer if it were written: Drop next stitch, lift up resulting ladder and place on left-hand needle, knit into front of ladder and BO, knit into back of ladder and BO.

Basically, the sitch is that every time you drop a stitch, a ladder spreads out that is the width of 2 stitches. And so,when you are binding off there, you have to kind of make 2 stitches out of that ladder, and bind off each, to keep the thing from pulling in where it's bound off.

does that help?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005 09:45:22 PM by debacle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katykeene
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2005 09:34:38 PM »

thanks so much for that clarification! i kinda worked it out (BO between knitting in front and back of ladder) half way across the back, which I did first  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joygoddess
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2005 08:45:14 AM »

Thanks Deb, for clarifying those instructions!!! I was a bit confused by it also, but just figured I'd see about it when I got there. I just got my yarn and started this sweater last night!!! I'm only about 4" of st st in, but will (try to) post a pic when done!  Cheesy

Anyone finished with it yet? I'd love to see pics!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abinka
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2005 03:44:08 AM »

Unfortunately I'm STILL waiting for my yarn to come in the mail... it's torture. I can't wait to start this vest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joygoddess
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2005 01:03:41 PM »

Yeah, I know how you feel... waiting for yarn sucks. But I ordered mine through joann.com and it came pretty quickly (about a week). Hope you get yours soon!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amy_ruth
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2005 01:39:54 PM »

My brain hurts!!!!!!

Okay, where to start?  Some of y'all have commented on the fact that there is such a big difference between the bust sizes from small to medium and medium to large.  For me, the medium is just a few inches too small and the large is way too big.  What I really want is a vest that is 42" around. 

Now, I know that I could just do what Gertie T. did "accidentally on purpose" and come up with that, but I wanted to try to figure out it out mathematically so I could really know what I'm doing.  And I'm not a math whiz, so I often go about things the long and hard way.  Also, since the gauge changes when you drop stitches, ididn't know if just changing the stitches per inch would come up with a reliable result inch-wise.  (If it does, then I've really done lots of math for nothing!!!!)

I looked at the pattern and realized that each size casts on a number of stitches divisible by 6.  So,  I figured that I would cast on a number of stitches between those alloted for size medium and size large that is also divisible by 6.  According to my math, if I cast on 84 stitches, I'd eventually end up with a garment that is 42" around. 

Everything would be dandy except for the damn neck shaping on the front.  I can't for the life of me figure out the pattern for that.  How many should I put on a stitch holder to start with?  I get the central pattern of binding off (I think) but there doesn't seem to be a simple way of figuring out how to do it in a multiple of six...if that makes sense.

Now I'm just reduced to babbling.  Am I really over-thinking this?  Is there a better way?  Could someone please help me before my brain explodes???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2005 08:16:48 AM »

I am so stuck on swatching.......SWATCHING!!!!   Oh the humanity!  I made a swatch with metal size 5 needles and it was 28 stitches & 30 rows.  So I switched to a pair of my trusty Brittanys in a size 4 and the swatch was 28 stitches & 32 rows!  (I could not control my tension with the Patons Grace on the metal)  Both swatches were blocked before measuring too.

So what do I do?  I am larger than the medium 39" bust but smaller than the large 48" bust.  I ould like a snuggish fit..............oh knitting gurus tell me what to do?

This BTW is my first garment..........H-E-L-P!!!!! 

EDITED: So I re-reviewed the thread and saw that the Amazing Debbie said the gauge is 6.5 stitches which I got with both sets of needles.  Hmmm and I wasn't even drinking wine..............but I am still unsure about what size to make.............

Eternally Grateful For Any Help,

Boo
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005 08:22:10 AM by booglass » THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2005 04:31:58 PM »

OMG!!!!  I have been checking my post obsessivly today.  I am itching to get started and can hardly wait.

Bonnie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GirlMadchen
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2005 05:03:10 PM »

Booglass, my guess is that this garment will be pretty stretchy when finished, because of all the dropped rows and the normal stretch in the stocking stitch bits. can anyone else attest to this? I'd go for the smaller size, I reckon. OR, you could do the medium and go up a needle size and therefore the whole thing would be a little bigger - if it suited the yarn of course...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.redsuedekitten.com

http://redsuedekitten.etsy.com - red suede kitten's etsy shop - for colourful, original felt jewelry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuedekitten - my flickr page - lots of photos of my felt jewelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Carlos Fairs
Anthony McCarten Talks About Show of Hands
Will Bunch Reveals His Biggest Pet Peeve
Simon Montefiore Talks About Sashenka
Susan RoAne Talks About Face to Face
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...