A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Accidentally on Purpose" from SnB Nation  (Read 38537 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gertie_T
« on: November 13, 2004 11:14:13 PM »

Okay, people...I have the perfect yarn in my stash for this project. But...I must admit I'm having trouble understanding this one special direction:

DBO2: Drop next stitch, lift up resulting ladder, k into front of ladder, k into back of ladder, BO first stitch, BO next stitch.

Ack! Alright, how do I "lift up the resulting ladder"? With the left needle of course, but from the front or the back?

And then how would one bind off? Because after you've done the knitting into the front and back of the ladder thing, you have THREE stitches on the right needle (because you've already been knitting before the DBO2). How the heck do you bind off three stitches? Arrrggh!

Any help would be very appreciated!

p.s. I frickin' looove this book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004 05:48:42 AM »

Since there are 3 sts on the rt needle, just slip one back to the left needle for a second cause you're going to bind it off anyway.  Just when you go to bind it off, don't knit it first like you usually would because that's already done, ya see?

As for slipping the left needle through the front or back, it doesn't matter much since you are immediately binding off.  I personally would try it through the back first because it will make a more stable entity, but you'll be able to tell after you bind off one or two more stitches after the dbo2 if you like that look or if you want to do it the other way.

This vest is totally on my to-do list.  It's really cute.  I've got a tank or two that would go under it perfectly in the summer, and I think I wanna do one specifically for the fall in a wool or blend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004 10:00:26 AM »

Ooohhhhhh...it's slowly becoming clear! Thanks, Ne. (By the way, your fabulouso armwarmers are next on my list! Congrats!)

I actually lost sleep last night because I was trying to envision the whole thing, but I think I made some progress!

I love the vest too! (Obviously...) But the great thing was that my aunt had just unloaded her entire stash of yarn onto me, most of it is kinda 80's, but that actually works for this little number! And I had just the right amount. It's fate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004 10:36:43 AM »

When I was trying to help ya I pulled out the book (of course) and was so happy to find out that that pattern calls for such an inexpensive yarn!  I tend to substitute when necessary anyway, but it's cool to not have to from time to time.

I'll be picking up the paton's grace soon.  Funny enough I had just been in Michaels last night trying to figure out for what I could use it because it's so pretty and shimmery.  Though I may make a fall one first using some Lamb's pride superwash that's been sitting around without a purpose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004 12:05:18 PM »

I think this would be awesome in a chunkier yarn! (And so quick to make too)

Darn, now I want a chunky one too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004 08:39:27 PM »

I sooo want to make this project.  Gertie, I am pretty new only been knitting since July and the project appealed to me b/c I drop stitches accidentally, on purpose might be pretty freaking cool.

Any advice?Huh  The small needle size scares me!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gertie_T
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004 09:04:45 AM »

No, it doesn't have picked up stitches--it's basically just two squares knit in stockinette, until you get to the neckline where you drop the stitches to make "ladders" down the vest and bind off.

Booglass, this is a very simple project! I just got confused at the neckline instructions, but until you get there, you're just knittin'! I simplified it even further by doing it in the round (no sewing side seams!).

Also, if youre' scared of small needles, you could do this in a chunky yarn and it would be so punkrock! It would be really easy to adapt to a bigger gauge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004 10:19:53 AM »

I hope you post a pic of your finished project!

Thanks for the tips!  I like the chunky idea......despite my advanced age of 32 and working in academic environement, late 80's ripped jeans punk Boo screams to get out pretty often.  This sweater might be my ticket to easy dressing on the weekends and an end to the cry of "OMG, I look like a PTA mom!" 

ANd I can use my handy-dandny SnB Nation book to figure out ad adequate substitute.  Also, the circular needles are a must..........I avoid stitiching!

Boo

THIS ROCKS   Logged

debacle
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004 05:24:53 PM »

Gertie - did ya make it? please, post a pic! hopefully the pattern worked out just fine -- it just about killed me, it did. i wanna see it! picture picture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004 08:54:31 PM »

Debbie!!! You are such a rock star!!! Thank you for publishing these two truly wonderful books. Ok, I'll stop gushing now.

I'm about a third of the way through the vest. It's great so far, but I haven't gotten to the complicated part. Just out of curiousity, how did it nearly kill you? Any tips for how to deal with the neckline?

Ok, must go knit! I will post the pic as soon as I'm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Climbing Mt. Everest
Two Foot Fred Autobiography Trailer
Author Zeke Pipher on Finding Balance
Signed by Zelda Book Trailer
John Benjamin Hickey on Narrating In One Person
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...