A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hooded towels- NOW with tutorial! :D (lots of pics!!!)  (Read 32368 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mylovelybabybump
« on: May 21, 2007 01:32:09 AM »

I'm not sure if this really belong here, but they're sorta clothing items, I guess? lol. If you think it should be somewhere else, just let me know though. Wink This is kinda old skool stuff, but it was my first sewing project so I'm still excited to show it off. Smiley It cost about $8 to make: one bath towel, half a hand towel and 3 strips of ribbon.

Okay, here's the tutorial. (my first one, so be patient!) You will need 1 large bath towel, 1 hand towel, whatever strips of ribbon you want (about 1.5 ft each), and some really strong "jean denim" sewing machine needles (you *will* break normal sewing needles sewing through these towels, so save yourself the extra trip and trouble and just start with the heavy duty ones lol). Wink Also, since the hand towel can be used for two separate hooded towels, it is wise to buy both bath towels & your one hand towel at the same time (in case they run out of that color later on, then you're stuck w/ an odd color half-a-hand towel).

First, cut your hand towel in half. Then sew your ribbon on, just straight across the bottom (I had already made my 1st hood, and didnt have any ribbon for the 2nd one, so I just photoshopped a ribbon on this one):

Fold it in half again so that the ribbon is on the inside.

Then, fold the corner up in a right angle. Pin where the flap meets the ribbon-edge of the hood. Repeat with the other side. (it is very important to make sure your ribbon is on the long, open edge, and that you are marking with your pins on the *closed* edge)

Then mark from the pin to the outside corner with masking tape. This creates the shape your hood will be. Its good to peek inside at this point and make sure that this is the correct placement, as you will be sewing along the edge of the masking tape next.

Now, you sew from the outside corner to the pin mark, along the edge of the masking tape. Repeat on both sides. I just used a single stitch. After that, cut off each flap, and then sew the edges with a zigzag stitch or whatever, to finish off the edges and leave a nice clean line. You should be left with this:

Turning it right side out, it should look like this:

Inside the hood should look like this:

Ok, you're done with your hood now. Get out the bath towel, hold it out length wise (hot dog style) then fold it in half and mark the middle with a pin.

You're going to make your back pleat now, there are two ways to do it. First way  to pleat it, you fold the edges under, meet at the center pin mark, about 2" on each side, then pin all the edges down, like this:

the back of your towel would look like this:

The 2nd way to pleat it (the way I like to do it, and how the pink one is done above, and how I'm doing this blue towel), you fold the edges over, about 2 inches on each side, meet in the center pin mark.Then pin all the layers down:

You can check to make your sides are even (so you dont need to measure with a ruler) by simply folding the edges up against each other)

This is what the back of your hooded towel will look like:

Lay your hood on the back of your bath towel, so all the raw edges are lined up together. Then pin the hood to the towel, it should look like this:

Then starting from one corner of your hood, sew a straight line about 1/2 an inch from the edge, through all 4 layers of towel, to the end corner. Then do a zigzag stitch along the edge to close your seam and make it nice and neat. Make sure you backstitch at each corner. You may have to handcrank it over the really thick corner parts, and go very slowly, otherwise you might break a needle!

Your finished hooded towel should look like this!

Ta-da! Cheesy I hope this was a good tute! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me anytime.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007 09:52:20 PM by mylovelybabybump » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheytown
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007 07:55:36 AM »

that's really sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennette
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007 11:24:27 AM »

That is too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisyannissa
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007 11:40:20 AM »

Cute!

I'm always thinking about making these- were they worth it, do the kids actually use it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mylovelybabybump
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007 01:47:26 PM »

Daisyanissa: YES they are SO worth it!! Those thin baby towels you can buy at the store are crap...the water just soaks them right through. And babies/kids can fit into these for at least 4 years. I *love* these as a mom, they make great shower gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cd2282
Fighter Pilot WWII

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007 01:50:52 PM »

tute?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlumCrafty
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007 02:23:05 PM »

This is great, and they are a good pressie for mums with young children. Those store bought ones are soooo expensive and not nearly as fun as this! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2012 Swaps
Nov: SS Ornament R3
Sep: MALC 6x6 Canvas
Aug: 4x6 Art5
Jul: Hand-Carved Stamp4 and Vintage
Jun: Journal for a Month2
May: 4x6 Art2 and Crafted Cushion Cover2
Apr: Beginners Inchie3
Mar: Art Journal
anitasplace

Monkey #1 as seen by Monkey #2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007 04:58:25 PM »

That is so very cute.  I've been working this same idea around in my head for a while but instead of ribbons (which I love BTW) I would use all things super hero/dinosaur-ish.  That's boys for ya!  I love the shower gift idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007 09:03:11 PM »

cool towel it reminds me of watermelon, I think any mother would be thrilled to get one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mylovelybabybump
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007 09:24:05 PM »

I'm going to try and do a tute for it this week. I still have a blue one I need to finish. Its so super simple, but it'd be hard to explain without having pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Corn on the Cob Cupcakes Recipe
How to Make a Traditional Pumpkin Pie
How to Make Simple Peanut Butter Cookies
Strawberry-Banana Sherbet Recipe
How to Make Traditional Buttermilk Beignets
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...