A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rachael Ray... love and hate.  (Read 6167 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FRAUGHT
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007 09:36:37 AM »

rr  ,purile twit,  i like cous cous though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xxmetal_mistressxx
+you'll rebel to anything+

I am god or at least I smell like it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007 12:41:43 PM »

I dislike that her recipes take more than 30 minutes for a normal person to cook.  Sure, I could cook that fast if I did it for a living, and my blood was 97% caffeine...

I agree. Plus her annoying dunkin donut commericals don't get her any points. Really with the food network you need to substitute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like my coffee black just like my metal.

I make fun plastic jewelry check it out!
www.poisonousporkip ine.etsy.com
Love personal swaps!
The 100 atc challenge 5/100. The happy 100 atc challange 0/100
littlehands
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007 12:58:37 PM »

HI I bought one of her books I think it was cooking for 2-4-6-and 8
I was totally happy. I started to look into it though and realized I made a mistake. Half of the stuff she puts in there my fiance and I would probably not eat or have never had or just won't have time to make because lack of normal ingredients. I'm sorry but to me couscous is foreign lol Don't get me wrong I love all kinds of different food, but I'm not about to go buy ingredients I've never heard of only to use them once and then have to throw them away. She has all kinds of crazy recipes. I was like wth? I dunno I'm gonna see what Giada and alton have in their books next.

1. i have one of giada's books -- everyday italian -- and there's a lot of yummy looking stuff in there, but to be honest i don't think it's very practical or relevant to regular people trying to cook regular meals for their families. but she's got other books out, so maybe those might be a little better... but that's just me. Tongue

2. i don't have any of alton brown's books, but based on my impression of him, i don't think his recipes would be very simple or user-friendly either. in "good eats," his recipes are often very complex and involved and oftentimes require more techie equipment... but i'm not sure if his book pertains to his show or not. and anyway, once again, that's just me!

also, as for expensive ingredients, sometimes you need to venture outside of your local grocery market to give yourself more options and better prices. my family and i go to asian farmers markets maybe once a month, and there is a huge variety of food for a relatively low-cost. don't be afraid to go into ethnic markets to find things every once in a while!

also (again), spices/herbs can be very expensive at first glance, but keep in mind that these are probably things that come up very often in recipes, esp. those written by the food network stars. soooo sometimes maybe it's okay to splurge a little on an ingredient, when you consider that you'll be using it frequently.

whew, that was long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

riverwatson
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007 07:25:45 AM »

I used to love Rachael Ray back when she was just on the food network- where i could ignore her if I wanted to. But since her talk show went network GOD is she annoying. I find that her older 30 minute meals recipes usually don't call for anything fancier than yellow bell peppers- at least nothing that you couldn't find at a good produce market. I used to LOVE watching 30 minute meals- i work at a restaurant called nothing but noodles so obviously i love noodles and she would whip up tasty pasta ALL the time. Yeah I think her old recipes are a lot easier to execute. However her new talk show's recipes are much fancier and a lot less practical if you ask me.

Quick side note- I just received a full set of Rachael Ray's Porcelain Nonstick Cookware and OH MY GOD it is SO INCREDIBLE! I have never owned nicer pots and pans. It cooks everything so well and yet it's so easy to clean!! They are so pretty too!! I really need to post a picture of my kitchen unit- they are all glorious and orange there- dangling from the racks... 

I don't like her recipes so much anymore, but gosh her cookware is lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
Ashling
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007 01:33:41 PM »

I agree that she has too many shows.  I mean she has 4 shows on Food Network and her network talk show.  I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head who has 5 concurrent TV shows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel7383
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007 01:56:39 PM »

I have a subscription to her magazine, and I end up making several things out of each issue. I like the variety of recipes each one has, and have only had problems finding one ingredient so far. (It was some sort of Indian spice.) We have a $50/week grocery budget and I am able to cook a few of her recipes each week. It's true that having her recommended pantry items helps. Smiley Out of all the cooking shows I've ever watched I find hers the most user friendly.
Does anyone have any of her cast iron cookware? I'm dying to get one of the dutch ovens. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurakay
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007 03:13:18 PM »

So, I got this job where I have to cook for between 8 and 16 people every night.  And I thought, what to do with hotdogs.  Rachel's last magazine had a recipe for chili cheese dogs in beach blankets.  The chili was very good.  But putting the dogs and the filling in the beach blankets was impossible.  And allegedly this was a recipe for children to take make.  These children should have had five arms each!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007 12:26:38 PM »

I have a subscription to her magazine, and I end up making several things out of each issue. I like the variety of recipes each one has, and have only had problems finding one ingredient so far. (It was some sort of Indian spice.) We have a $50/week grocery budget and I am able to cook a few of her recipes each week. It's true that having her recommended pantry items helps. Smiley Out of all the cooking shows I've ever watched I find hers the most user friendly.
Does anyone have any of her cast iron cookware? I'm dying to get one of the dutch ovens. Grin

I've got several cast iron pots and pans.  All gleaned from rummage sales, very cheaply.  I've yet to see a dutch oven, but my eyes have been open for a year or two.  I guess my best advice is to scour rummage sales!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
gigiallin
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2007 09:22:50 AM »

I love Alton Brown's books! His recipes rarely require specialized equipment. His philosophy is that the only uni-tasker allowed in your kitchen is a fire extinguisher. He fully endorses the use of terracotta pots as a smoker and tuna cans as pastry rings.
His recipies may take longer than 30 minutes, but they are usually simple. Most of the time the ingredients are easy to find. He's more into creating fail proof recipies (like angel food cake or bisquits) than creating elaborate recipes that no normal human would ever make.
His pizza recipe is amazing! As is his chicken satay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennygurl
He knows me better than I know myself

Smile til it hurts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007 11:43:56 AM »

HI I bought one of her books I think it was cooking for 2-4-6-and 8
I was totally happy. I started to look into it though and realized I made a mistake. Half of the stuff she puts in there my fiance and I would probably not eat or have never had or just won't have time to make because lack of normal ingredients. I'm sorry but to me couscous is foreign lol Don't get me wrong I love all kinds of different food, but I'm not about to go buy ingredients I've never heard of only to use them once and then have to throw them away. She has all kinds of crazy recipes. I was like wth? I dunno I'm gonna see what Giada and alton have in their books next.

1. i have one of giada's books -- everyday italian -- and there's a lot of yummy looking stuff in there, but to be honest i don't think it's very practical or relevant to regular people trying to cook regular meals for their families. but she's got other books out, so maybe those might be a little better... but that's just me. Tongue

2. i don't have any of alton brown's books, but based on my impression of him, i don't think his recipes would be very simple or user-friendly either. in "good eats," his recipes are often very complex and involved and oftentimes require more techie equipment... but i'm not sure if his book pertains to his show or not. and anyway, once again, that's just me!

also, as for expensive ingredients, sometimes you need to venture outside of your local grocery market to give yourself more options and better prices. my family and i go to asian farmers markets maybe once a month, and there is a huge variety of food for a relatively low-cost. don't be afraid to go into ethnic markets to find things every once in a while!

also (again), spices/herbs can be very expensive at first glance, but keep in mind that these are probably things that come up very often in recipes, esp. those written by the food network stars. soooo sometimes maybe it's okay to splurge a little on an ingredient, when you consider that you'll be using it frequently.

whew, that was long.

I understand what you are saying however, I would probably never go to another store than what is local due to the fact that a) i lost my job so I'm quite broke b) am starting full time vocational school so I have NO time c) the gas prices in Cali are pretty much outrageous-ie 3.05 is cheap d) the whole reason I bought her book is because of her 30minute meal show. I figured ok she's down to earth and a girl next door type, I can probably find these ingredients without having to go to a specialty store and spend more time, gas and money. I also thought it would be things I'm familiar with somewhat- and that the recipes wouldn't take long. Well stupid me I should've looked in it first instead of blindly trusting a chef lol Don't get me wrong the book is good and all and I see your point of going a little bit of the extra mile to find cheaper stuff but where I live, you have to drive everywhere, and there's always traffic, so that is like driving  over 10 miles, for about 30min +  just to get to GOOD ethnic store. whether its hispanic-which I am quite familiar with being Mexican- or Asian- again familiar with as I dated a Cambodian guy for 2 years- So my point is this. It really is pointless for me to spend  the extra money driving around looking for another store to get another ingredient that I probably won't use again because as I have no time I usually will only make something from the book about 1nc or 2wc a month. Sigh. its futile. I digress...Wanna buy my Rachel Ray book? lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness" Psalm 17:15
http://beautymania.ecrater.com/-beauty on a budget
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS5 Review
How to Use Content Aware Fill in Photoshop CS5
How to Create an HDR Image in Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Rotobrush Tool in After Effects
Where to Find 3D Visualization Resources
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...