A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rachael Ray... love and hate.  (Read 5951 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soupurrrvhixin
i've got people to see & places that i need to burn down

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2007 06:31:50 PM »

I like Rachael Ray a lot and can just imagine how wonderful her food tastes...

The only problems I'm encountering with her meals is that she calls for A) very expensive items and B) stuff that isn't easily found in my midwestern grocery stores.

Does anyone else have these problems?  Any suggestions of how I can bypass them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes,
us people are just poems
we're 90% metaphor
with a leanness of meaning
approaching hyper-distillation
NerdyCrochetGal
Nerdy Weirdo with Yarn Skills

I am not ignoring you... I am counting stitches...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007 08:28:50 PM »

Ugh. I run into the same problem with her and some of my favorite chef's from the food network. I copy down recipes then find myself in the grocery store with either an insane grocery bill or unable to find most of the things I need.. Its such a pain. It's also really discouraging. I kinda made it a point to try and find a chef that I like on TV that uses normal easy to find ingredients that makes fabulous food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOOKER PRIDE!!!
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007 08:24:34 AM »

Yes I have the same problem.  I just try to find something that i can substitute.  IE wild mushrooms become regular button mushrooms, tomatillo salsa becomes regular salsa, smoked cheddar becomes plain cheddar, My grocery store doesnt have ground chicken so i will use ground turkey, etc.  Another thing you could do is substitute but pick one expensive thing that you think will be a flavor inhancer.  There is one recipe that i like that is for burgers, but uses havarti cheese with dill.  I'll use that, but substitute other things in the recipe that arent so expensive.

What sort of things are you having trouble with?  I'm sure there are lots of people on here that could help you find an inexpensive/easy to find substitute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007 11:22:38 AM »

If you have any type of Asian/Indian/Ethnic market nearby, these can be an excellent source of very inexpensive ingredients, esp for spices.  Some brands will vary in price a lot for the same product, like coconut milk, which is ghastly expensive from the "asian" section of ye olde Safeway, but less expensive at the same store in the "mexican" section (and much much less expensive (by a factor of 4) at the asian food mart).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007 01:05:26 PM »

YES!  I was SO disappointed with my subscription to her magainze for this reason!  To me, "Everyday with Rachel Ray" meant every-day sort of recipes that I could make.  WRONG-O!

Someone recently wrote in and complained that she must be crazy.  They had gone out to buy the stuff for a recipe and JUST the herbs she called for were $15.  (Rach's suggestion?  "Use dried herbs!") 

I've always wanted to go thru her little week-of-recipes menu-insert she has in every magazine and price out what it would cost to make all of those recipes in a week.  And some of the stuff she assumes you have on hand are ridiculous. 

I was very pissed that I had wasted money on her magazine.  In a year's subscription, I've made one recipe.  (For Whisky Chocolate Cake.  Which was VERY good.  Probably not worth the $17 subscription, though.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
irasema

I'm creative - you can't expect me to be neat too!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007 01:12:36 PM »

I have a couple of her books and I love the recipes but you are right! by making them exactly like she says it's outrageous! I like to simplify the recipe. I buy premade can sauces that i can add some of the ingredients. The herbs dont have to be fresh all the time and usually buy dry or, if i think i will use it, i buy the plant. I really like reading the recipes and get ideas of an ingredient or two, but follow the whole thing from start to finish, i don't think i have ever done that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST | BLOG | pintrest
dont mind me.... i'm rather random
jennygurl
He knows me better than I know myself

Smile til it hurts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007 04:53:59 PM »

HI I bought one of her books I think it was cooking for 2-4-6-and 8
I was totally happy. I started to look into it though and realized I made a mistake. Half of the stuff she puts in there my fiance and I would probably not eat or have never had or just won't have time to make because lack of normal ingredients. I'm sorry but to me couscous is foreign lol Don't get me wrong I love all kinds of different food, but I'm not about to go buy ingredients I've never heard of only to use them once and then have to throw them away. She has all kinds of crazy recipes. I was like wth? I dunno I'm gonna see what Giada and alton have in their books next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness" Psalm 17:15
http://beautymania.ecrater.com/-beauty on a budget
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007 11:59:36 PM »

I dunno I'm gonna see what Giada and alton have in their books next.

I love Alton Brown! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007 11:13:45 AM »

I like her recipes from 30 Minutes Meal (which are available free on-line at foodnetwork.com).  I have noticed that the ingredients are always super duper exotic.  If I can get what I need in Costa Rica then I am sure someone with limited ingredient acess should be alright. 

And the best part.....the recipes only take 30 minutes!

boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007 04:17:21 PM »

I dislike that her recipes take more than 30 minutes for a normal person to cook.  Sure, I could cook that fast if I did it for a living, and my blood was 97% caffeine...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Organize Palettes and Saving Workspaces
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Customize Keyboard Shortcuts
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Choose Creative Suite Color Settings
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Choose Color Settings
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set Preferences
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...