A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
872 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: music box / electrical motor  (Read 778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreamergirl
« on: May 20, 2007 01:28:46 PM »

I 've got an idea for a sort of music box. I want a specific song to play, so I'm not sure the usual spool and comb thing will work. I guess maybe I should by a  little motor and attach something to it that can play and loop the song. It's all way too confusing right now.

Are there any electric savvy people that might offer advice? thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamergirl
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007 06:35:00 PM »

yeah yeah, I know we're all girls here and the few that know some electric stuff probably haven't read this, but does anyone have a crafty dad or friend they can ask. I basically wouldn't be caught dead going to an electric shop and asking for advice. They'd probably scream at me and kick me out. Music boxes  Roll Eyes lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tipassoi
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007 10:00:31 AM »

You can buy small circuits that will you can use to record a snippet (typically up to 20 seconds, but some are up to 10, 40 or 60 seconds) of music - a google search for 20 second recording module will bring up a selection. For example, here:
http://www.radioshack.com/sm-9-volt-20-second-recording-module--pi-2102855.html

These are the bit of electronics that you get in those annoying greetings cards that play songs when you open them. With one like the example above, you don't need any electronics know-how, since it is all soldered up for you. You typically have a button to press to start/stop recording sound (you can cut this off later if you want to make it permanent), and a button to press to replay - I'm sure you can encorporate this into your design so it is pushed when you open the box, or if you or a friend have a little electronics knowledge you could modify it so that it is activated in some other way.

I don't think the one in the radioshack link will automatically loop sound, but for a bit more money you can get one like this:
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3146.htm
which will loop your tune.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamergirl
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007 12:47:32 PM »

thanks, tipassoi. I never knew they sold those tiny recording devices. But I really need more than 40 seconds.  Sad
I got brainstorming and so now I'm thinking of buying a really cheap portable cassette player and recording the song over and over on a cassette. Then, when I'm making the box, I'll just hide it inside and the back of the box will open if you want to change the batteries. I think it will be quite a strange version of a music box, but at least it will play the whole song.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 12:49:22 PM by dreamergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
minouette
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007 02:06:32 PM »

hey dreamergirl,

I think the music box idea sounds really interesting. Certainly, your cheap portable cassette player idea would work if you don't want to follow tipassoi's tips... but I wanted to say in reference to this:

yeah yeah, I know we're all girls here and the few that know some electric stuff probably haven't read this, but does anyone have a crafty dad or friend they can ask. I basically wouldn't be caught dead going to an electric shop and asking for advice. They'd probably scream at me and kick me out. Music boxes  Roll Eyes lol

as someone who is both a woman and a scientist (with her own electronics lab) don't assume that girls can't do electronics! Nor should you be intimidated to go into an electronics shop and ask for advice. Plenty of women study physics and engineering (like me) and they would not scream at you or kick you out. At most they might be amused, but in my experience, they would probably be really intrigued by an interesting project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007 04:51:26 PM »

Build a bear has little mechanisms for recording a message for the recipient of the bear...you could start there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floatingmoon
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007 07:32:44 PM »

dreamergirl,

what song you wanted into the music box?

Wish u success!!

so u want to put a casset player inside the music box? it's gonna be a big box!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 09:28:31 PM by floatingmoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
Philip7424298

Peeps. The start of racism.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007 07:41:41 PM »

If by motor You mean the little spinny spool with the bumps which plink the row of bars that make music, I would sand them off, and solder new ones on in the arrangement of the song you want.... if that makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\  /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny.
He is on his way to world domination, one signature at a time!
(Copy and paste to help him take over the world)

http://kofk.de/animal.php?id=kingBosney
tipassoi
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007 05:06:21 AM »

One of the cheapo tiny MP3 players would be smaller than a tape player. Or perhaps one of those mini tape players that you use for recording memos and interviews?

In a slightly off topic diversion...

Nor should you be intimidated to go into an electronics shop and ask for advice. Plenty of women study physics and engineering (like me) and they would not scream at you or kick you out. At most they might be amused, but in my experience, they would probably be really intrigued by an interesting project.

The electronics shop near where I live now is great, really helpful... BUT I have been to plenty of electronics shops (especially on Tottenham Court Road in London) where the spotty teenage shop assistants have assumed that I must know nothing about electronics and that it is their duty to patronise me - despite the fact that I have a degree in (mostly electronic) engineering. Even if this wasn't the case - it's just plain stupid to patronise and insult half your customer base.

Anyway, rant over. If shop assistants make you feel stupid, whatever the shop - take your custom elsewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamergirl
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007 06:20:50 AM »

thanks for the replies, everyone.

minouette, sorry about that, wasn't supposed to be demeaning in any way. It's just that craftster is more into traditionally women stereotiped crafts like sewing, knitting, etc., I couldn't find a board on that sort of thing, and it was a little joke on that stereotype. I guess, it came out wrong.  Embarrassed I only admire girls that go into traditionally male spheres, and men who venture into traditionally female spheres. When I was a kid, I wanted to build houses and when my mom was a kid, she wanted to be a truck driver. lol

You're a scientist? What field exactly are you in?

floatingmoon, I have ideas for a few music boxes, so the songs are all different. I want one to play CocoRosie's "The Sea Is Calm" and another "Frosti" by Bjork, and yet another this old French song/chanson. And I want to put a small portable cassette player inside the box, so it's not going to be too huge. lol

Philip7424298, I researched a bit before I posted this question and that mechanism is the spool and comb thing. It's extremely difficult to alter and even in shops where they make music boxes they won't take your order.  Sad At least that's what I read.

tipassoi, but aren't the little mp3 players more expensive than the walkmans?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007 06:39:42 AM by dreamergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Illustrate a Palm Tree
How to Create a Cartoon Bunny
How to Draw a Fly
How to Buy a Calligraphy Pen
How to Master the Art of Calligraphy
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...