A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pure wool for newborn/baby projects - snobbery?  (Read 1339 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010 07:30:23 PM »

I really disagree with a lot of points in the previous post.

Acyrlic yarn does not 'break down over time' as other plastic items do, it wears for years and years. Car seats have moving parts which will break down, has nothing to do with the material they're made from. Acrylic blankets and clothes don't have this problem.

And if a baby gets close enough to an open flame or high heat source to melt acrylic clothing or blankets, there's a lot more problems to worry about at that point. This seldom happens, so it's not a big worry.

I do agree that soakers probably need to be knit from wool, but not other clothing.

I'm not anti acrylic and actually didn't mention yarn breaking down but it will if you intend on making an heirloom item wool if stored correct will retain the memory and elsaticity in 50 years that acrylic looses. But for daily use items you don't intend on keeping for 5 generations.

I was more so pointing out that when people wonder why possibly anyone would want to use wool or a natural fiber on a baby instead of acrylic it's not unheard of and its actually more modern to believe it doesn't have to be 100% natural fiber.

There are many people allergic to wool but the sensativities are usually to the guard hairs in certain breeds like icelandic, llama, mohair etc. but if you know the wool breed and content you know some wool is better for outerwear some is better for direct skin contact. Most commercial merinos are very soft and smooth like fine cottons such as manos, malabrigo etc. 

My point was shes not a snob for chosing natural fibers at all and offered suggestions to help with the cost. Really nothing to attack someone for and living with a fireman I can attest to a lot of accidental incidents that no one ever meant to occur but still did. It's always a moms thought to be safe with her child and o protect them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Faux Hawk Ponytail Tutorial
6 Amazingly Simple Hairstyles for Lazy Girls
How to Create a Full Messy Bun
Coco Rocha Cuts Off All Her Hair
Braided Undercut
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...