A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any ideas how to make this?  (Read 3035 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JakeHazelip
« on: January 17, 2004 07:01:53 AM »

http://www.luckykat.net/Details/spaceclockfulldetail.jpg

I'd like to make this for my wife for her birthday (I have until May) but I don't know how.  I can figure out how to make a clock, there are basic kits for that, but the overall design of the clock is unusual.  Where do I get those style of numbers?  What are those things representing the numbers not stylized?  Etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Jake
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004 06:58:29 PM »

Wow, that's a tough one. The only suggestion I have is to find a cool font or some number art/pics on the computer and print them out, and then decoupage/shellac them onto the wood or whatever you use as the base for the clock. Not sure this would totally give you the look that you are looking for, but it's a place to start.

Good luck - let us know how you make out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
SilverBamboo

"Don't dream it... Be It."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004 03:32:37 AM »

If you have a jigsaw you could cut the number shapes out of thin wood; or even use cardboard and a craft-knife, then paint them and seal with urethane... just print a picture of the clock and trace the number shapes.

For the little sticks you could use bamboo skewers, swizzle sticks with a ball, bead or charm on the ends. Give it your own spin... use the one you like as inspiration. I'm sure your wife will appreciate your touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make something beautiful.
shes so unusual
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004 09:47:02 AM »

dowels with styrofoam balls spraypainted silver?

cool looking clock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004 10:14:39 AM »

you can also buy wooden balls and drill holes in them, then stick in the dowels and spray paint silver.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004 08:11:21 PM »

You could get those house numbers from Home Depot/hardware store, paint them up, glue/screw them onto dowels, get one of those dryer hose cuffs (stainless steel belt-looking things with holes all around-- does anyone know the proper term or even what I am talking about?), attach dowels , put clock mechanism in center of cuff-thing, then attach clock face to hide the mess. Does that make any sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
laurie
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004 11:29:14 AM »

i JUST saw a very similar clock being made on one of those TLC shows the other day.  for the round ball parts they used shishkabob skewers with large wooden beads hot glued onto the ends.  the skewers other end was a loop which gave it more stability when attached to the back.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004 06:05:40 AM »

Okay, I think I may have figured out how you can get those spacey numbers...   go to the website you gave us with the detail of the clock...  right click on the picture (I tried this part, and it's possible), and save it to your computer.  Do this four times, saving them under names such as "spacey number 12, spacey number 3, etc.  Open your trusty photo-editor program, and crop the "spacey number 12" picture so that it only shows the 12.  Resize as desired, and print out onto some cardstock.  With a trusty Exacto knife, cut out the picture (make sure to put something under it!!) and glue it onto some foam core or something of your liking...   do the same for spacey numbers 3, 6, and 9.  Stick a kabob stick into the bottom of the foam core, with the nessecary glues and whatnot, and VOILA!  

I have not tried this, so my instructions may be totally off...   and they could not work for some reason or another, but it seems like it will work, maybe with a bit of tweaking.  I hope I helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004 06:15:14 AM »

Okay, so after I posted those instructions I realized I wanted to find out if it worked... I found out that not only does it work, it's actually quite easy...  Even though the overall picture comes out a bit blurry, you could even decide to cut out the blurry lines, or keep them in for a different looking thingy...  So here are the pictures that I came up with!  I don't know if they'll resize themselves once I put them on here, you might have to save them from the post and enlarge them yourself, not too hard with the "enlarge" or "zoom" buttons on said trusty photo editor.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004 06:16:21 AM by cloudbreakchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
EinsZweiDrei
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004 02:30:58 PM »

cloudbreakchick your idea is great. however i believe those fonts were hand painted. so maybe jake can do as you suggested, but instead of gluing them, he could carbon copy them onto wood, then paint it? just an idea  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 28/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 29/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 3/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 22/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 20/29
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...