A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fashion show creations! *Edit* Babydoll dress with added tutorial!  (Read 12708 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimlly
« on: May 20, 2007 09:58:00 AM »

Hello everyone! I hope you take the time and enjoy my lovely creations that were made for my high school fashion show that was organized by me!

Firstly, here is the babydoll dress that I made from SCRATCH! I must say I even surprised myself! I came up with this concept by myself, and recreated it wonderfully with the help on my lovely dressform, Tailor! (I envisionned this to make my own prom dress)

Secondly, this is a top that, once again, I designed and created from scratch. This also was evisionned as I was pinning the material on my dressform.

Thirdly, this is a recon (I know, in the wrong forum, but it was made along with the others for my fashion show). I took a cardigan and added other fabric that I bought to sintch it in at the waist and the arms. I rather liked the finish product.

And last but not least, the blazer I made for myself. I have to say that I LOVE it. I made it from a men's oversized purple button up shirt. I was happy at how this got modified so much.

Here are some pictures of my fashion show. They probably show the best of the outfits.

If you guys were wondering, the theme was Moulin Rouge!
I know I didn't elaborate on many things, but if you have questions feel free to ask! I'd be happy to answer them.
Thanks for looking!

*Edit*
Thank you for the much appreaciated compliments! After a little bit of doodling, I came up with this tutorial. I hope it's clear enough, however if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

1. Cut out a pattern piece, making sure that fits your bust measurements correctly with a seam allowance on all sides. (Wrap the pattern piece around yourself. Are your breasts aligned with the cup shape? Is it centered? Does the piece have enough seam allowance on the ends?...These are questions you should ask yourself  to make sure that the piece is well fitted).
Cut 2 pieces of your pattern piece out.

2. With right side together, stitch along the top of your pieces. (At this step you could sew your straps into this seam to avoid having to sew them on last, this makes for a neater finish).
Clip curves. Turn your pieces right side out and press.

3. Cut out a piece that consists of the bottom of the dress. Just remember that the top of this piece should double the bottom part of your bust piece. There has to be enough fabric to make the pleats with. A pattern piece isnt really required for this, however, if it helps go for it. I just measured out the length I wanted directly on the fabric with fabric chalk. You can also make the hem of your dress different than mine, I just decided I liked the look of it being shorter in front and longer in the back.

4. Lay out you fabric in a large space. Now comes the time consuming part of making the dress. With right sides of both pieces together, pin your pleats in place. It took me a lot of trial and error before getting this part how I wanted. (I found that my dress form helped me out tremendously. If you dont own one, I suggest draping it on yourself with the help of someone to make sure the pleats looks good and fall right before sewing it in place).
Sew along the pleats, sewing both pieces together.

5. Hand sew the pleats in the middle of the bust piece. (You can machine sew this part if youd like, I found doing it by hand to be much easier, and gets a better result). Pass the needle threw several times to assure itll hold.

6. Turn your fabric under at the back and sew your zipper in. (I hate zippers!)

7. Where the zipper ends, close the rest of the fabric with a normal seam down to the bottom of the dress.

8. Hem the bottom of the dress. Press.
Add straps (I chose to make mine adjustable). And if you have a serger (which I would die to have!), finish all raw inside edges.
And VOIL! A lovely babydoll dress, perfect for any occasion!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007 01:57:28 PM by kimlly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimlly
Quinndustrious P.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007 10:00:14 AM »

awesome!  i love the babydoll dress, and moulin rouge = my favorite movie. ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my pinterest boards! http://pinterest.com/quinnp/
Lucy_Stardust
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007 10:23:48 AM »

they are all so awesome!! Excellent job you are so talented! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supermedic
SUPERMEDIC

Live Love Laugh But Laugh the Most

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007 11:18:54 AM »

i can't believe you are soooo talented at such a young age.  still in hs and making such beautiful creations.  you have a great future ahead of you.  i just wish i was that talented myself and i am at least twice your age.  i guess i should have started sewing long before 38 if thats what i wanted.  lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonmom
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007 11:19:59 AM »

How fun. Good for you. I love the two shirts, they are very awesome. I need some of those. Mostly I'd love some of your talent, very good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007 11:36:16 AM »

The dresses and tops look great!  What an awesome opportunity to design for a fashion show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007 01:46:45 PM »

everything looks amazing! i really love the dress and that red jacket thing. anyways keep up the good work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
Miss American Pie
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007 06:41:30 PM »

That teal dress is so chic! Oh man, I need to get myself a dress-form...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

writeforme
the princess Tessa

^I love him in a thousand ways.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007 06:56:13 PM »

your creations are really gorgeous! I love the first two especially & am v. jealous of your dress form Smiley

I would love you FOREVER if you could tell me how you organized the show. I'm aiming to do something similar at my school next spring and definitely need advice! (My email: kalonity@gmail.com)

<3Tessa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace." -- Oscar Wilde

11:11 am
craftykaida
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007 02:40:11 PM »

Tut for the dress, please?!!!!

I'd be in your debt forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter B
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter F
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter C
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter E
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter A
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...