A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 301,504
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 87
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Projects from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts"  (Read 181098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mllemegan
« Reply #640 on: November 19, 2005 07:49:20 PM »

This is my first time posting---but I just want to say how great I think this forum is.  Seeing everyone's projects has inspired me to try some new things.

Anyway, I started knitting a few months ago and have made a few hats and scarves.  After reading about everyone's projects from Last Minute Gifts I decided to check a copy out from the library and try the handwarmers.  The pattern (I am making the men's version) seems pretty straight forward, but I am having a terrible time with it.  I stopped by my local knitting shop with the book and got some help picking out some yarn (and ended up using dp needles because they did not have small enough circulars).  I have knit about eight rows and the whole thing is really loose looking.  Am I using the wrong type of yarn, or, I doing something wrong?  I am using a yarn called Shepard Sock and it says 7sts=1" and am using size 6 dp needles.  The yarn looked a little small to me, but the people at the yarn store said it was the right size.  Does that make sense?  Is something wrong with my technique?  Why isn't this working?

I am so frustrated

Cry

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 19, 2005 08:20:51 PM »

You have every right to be frustrated! You got the right sized needles, but NOT the right sized yarn.   If your current yarn is 7 sts per 1", that equals 28 sts per 4". The pattern calls for Noro Cash Iroha, and 20 sts per 4".  Since the gauge on your yarn is bigger per inch (meaning you can cram more stitches into a 4" section), it means that your yarn is quite a bit thinner than the yarn called for which would make it loopy and loose.

Now, I'm the queen of substitution, but the one thing you need to keep in mind is gauge. You should even do a swatch, even if the label says you will get what you need in the number deptartment, since we all knit differently. It sounds like you did buy a great sock yarn, so put it away for a few weeks, and find a simple sock pattern. They aren't as hard as it seems, belive me, and turning the heel is magic Smiley

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mllemegan
« Reply #642 on: November 20, 2005 03:00:39 PM »

Thank you for the advice, Xanthia!  I went back and found some great alpaca instead.  So excited about this project!  Thanks again!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whalen
« Reply #643 on: November 21, 2005 11:40:14 AM »

I just finished my first project from the book, airy scarf.

It is intended to be a christmas gift for my lovely mother in law.

I love the projects in this book  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dawn~
stringy
« Reply #644 on: November 21, 2005 09:50:03 PM »

What a gorgeous colour! Your mother-in-law is lucky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ellisa
« Reply #645 on: November 22, 2005 06:20:17 AM »

Hi!  I've been lurking forever and have finally decided to post!  I recently finished the child's placket front sweater which I made with a lovely orange baby apalca for my friend's baby-to-be.  I made a matching hat because I had quite a bit of leftover yarn. The color is really quite beautiful, but I don't think it looks so great in the photo.

SO beautiful!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
traceypoo
« Reply #646 on: November 22, 2005 07:02:41 AM »

Thanks so much, Ellisa!  I am giving it to my friend this weekend at her baby shower.  I can't wait to see her face!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saidy
« Reply #647 on: November 22, 2005 01:13:32 PM »

I've made the leg warmers in Cascade Pastaza and Kidsilk Haze in turquoise colors as a present for a neighbor who helped me out with a terrible migraine and am working on the Men's Raglan Sweater in Pastaza for my bf.  It was supposed to be an xmas gist last year.  Hopefully it will be done this year.  Smiley   

Love me some Pastaza!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theresat
« Reply #648 on: November 23, 2005 08:07:27 AM »

Saidy reminded me that I made the legwarmers and totally forgot to post them!

Here they are:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeginnerKnitter
« Reply #649 on: November 23, 2005 09:35:00 AM »

I love those legwarmers! They look awesome. I like the little flecks of color in yours. And the bunchiness (made-up word, I know)! I can imagine how warm they must be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 87 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY: Texturizing Sea Salt Hair Spray
Pro Tips For Runway To Real Life Hairstyles
Tips For Avoiding Frizzy Hair
How To Use Hot Rollers
How to Get the Hottest Hair Trends in Hollywood
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...