A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 87
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Projects from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts"  (Read 171315 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chee
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2004 10:41:21 PM »

Hurray!  My book came from Amazon yesterday! 

And, tomorrow I get to go to the yarn shop to buy supplies for the many projects on my ever-growing list.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2004 05:08:24 AM »

Iani,
Yes, I've alomst completed an earflap, man's size hat from this book, and it reaaally big. I actually tried the hat (and frogged the hat) twice, on size 10 circs because I didn't want to buy a new pair; Those were so huge I had to laugh. The one I'm almost finished is for my stepdad, and he's got a really big head, so I think I'm ok, but yeah, its weird. I used the same recommended needles size this time, and the same yarn called for and it is still unusually big  Smiley I'm wondering if I should do a child's sized one for my mom, or if the womens' turn out women-sized. Also, I shortened the hat and it is still XXXLarge...I can't imagine if I'd knitted the whole 8" before decreasing...good god..
Good luck!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gertie_T
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2004 08:51:37 AM »

When I made the hat for my brother, I used a slightly less chunky yarn than the one in the pattern, shortened it by a little over 2 inches, and was really happy with the size.

I made another one over the weekend with a chunky yarn for a very large male friend, and it came out really big--which was what I was hoping!

I love this hat pattern, though. I'm making one for myself next--in pink cashmere! (here I go being a bad influence again!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2004 09:17:52 AM »

I really did do something to anger the knitting g-ds!  I ordered this book a week ago and it still hasn't arrived!!!!!    But at least I have this thread to keep my hope alive!

Gertie, you are a knitting machine girl!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lani
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2004 07:15:35 PM »

My roommates love the ginormousness of the hat...I may just keep it and knit a more size-appropriate one for my Dad (I don't think he's into floppy hats)
I'm trying the child size one, and it looks like it'll be fitting much better...Smiley Cheesy

- Lani
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A haiku:
If I could have one
My superpower would be
To talk to lemurs
Tere
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2004 05:04:45 AM »

Hey guys,
I finished my man sized hat, and started my mum's. I figured, if the man size was big, the woman's size probably would be quite big for a woman, and so i started a child's sized one for my mum (she is like me and has a pea head) and go figure..its child size!! ha ha..it all practice right?  Smiley On a brighter note, the earflap hat I finished is quite cute, and I'm thinking my stepdad will look adorable in it (whether thats the look he's going for or not). So the point to my rambling is, if you're thinking of trying these awsome hats, knit the woman's size for women!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2004 09:55:46 AM »

Me again  Tongue
I just finished my mum's hat and I actually ended up sticking with the child size, and its more than big eough. So please ignore my last piece of advice concerning these hats! I will post pics soon.

Happy holidays,

Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lani
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2004 10:02:52 AM »

Hee hee hee...good to know!  I'm half way through the child's hat for my grandma.  Smiley

-Lani
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A haiku:
If I could have one
My superpower would be
To talk to lemurs
Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2004 11:46:27 AM »

Did it knit up reasonably quickly, or take forever? 

It knit up really quickly actually, since the entire thing is done in the round. Also, once you're done, you're done- no seams. It took me about a month, and that includes 2 weeks when I put it down for a while and made something else.

About the errata- If you take the corrections and fill them into the right spots, then you shouldn't have any OTHER problems with the pattern. The only thing I ran into, which I actually called Joelle about, was joining the sleeves to the body- Make sure that you have a total of 4 stitch markers on there before you start decreasing. If you're just starting the pattern, you won't have to worry about that for a while.

Also, make sure you have an extra skein of yarn, beyond what the pattern says. A lot of people on Knitters' Review are running out of yarn, and I actually ran out of yarn too. Luckily the LYS here still had that dyelot in stock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pretendingsanity
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2004 10:15:30 PM »

Here's my version of kims hats.

The side view:

The top view:

Only a couple of hours, very painless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 87 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Join Crocheted Motifs
How to Crochet Christmas Decorations
How to Do a Ripple Stitch
How to Filet Crochet Blocks
How to Do a Circular Crochet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...