A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
760 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 87
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Projects from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts"  (Read 169468 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2004 10:43:38 AM »

Ok, back to my wristwarmer explanation.  Apparently not so clear, that's what I get for posting while sick Tongue Sorry guys.

Anyway, you're not knitting the front and back separately, you're just knitting the thumbhole portion 'flat'.  Think about it - if you have a circle and you cut it, you have a line, right?  So when you get to where you want your thumbhole to be (let's say there's a stitch marker there), you just stop knitting.  Don't even slip the marker.  Now pretend you have a flat piece of knitting instead of a tube.  You turn it over and go back until you get to the marker again.  Turn and go back.  Keep doing this and you'll have 2 edges right next to each other.  These are the two sides of the thumbhole.  When it's big enough (I think 1.5" is standard, maybe), you just stop turning.  you rejoin the round there and keep knitting in a circle (you might want to make sure you do this on a right side row so that you don't get confused).   So on this right side row you knit up to the marker, slip marker, and knit the stitch on the other side of the marker (you might need to slide this up to the front of your circ. 

This kind of thing is easier to do with a circ than a set of DPNs, because while you're working flat, you don't have all the DPNs in a circle, so there's a possibility of the dangly ones falling out of their stitches (so you might want to put rubber bands on the ends of those needles if you're using dpns while you're doing the flat part).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2004 10:50:18 AM »

Thanks Melidomi,
I'm going to give it a try; I'll let you know how I make out. And your explanation was right on..I'm just a bit dense  Cheesy
Thanks again!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gertie_T
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2004 09:13:06 PM »

I made one of Kim's hat's over the weekend as a Christmas present for my brother. The best part about it is that I made it out of really great cashmere yarn--Classic Elite Tryst. It's the absolute BEST yarn I've EVER used! Also the most expensive. Go figure...

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 10:46:01 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2004 10:53:12 PM »

Gertie, i think that you need to contact the publisher/author about a kick back!

seriously, i looked at this book a couple of times, and none of the projects really grabbed me.  However, seeing the ones you have posted have caused me to rethink it.

Faboo hat...your brother is a lucky duck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2004 11:03:54 PM »

that looks so nice - your brother should love it...great yarn choice...oooh, cashmere!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
Tere
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2004 04:50:11 AM »

He better like it, it kicks ass, Gertie. I'm thinking of making one of these for my stepdad for xmas, and maybe one for my mum; I found the colors in the book really inspiring. And Kadreath is right, they should hire you to promote the book somehow!

Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2004 10:10:20 AM »

Damn it I need this book!  And now I have to try the tryst yarn..........oh, Gertie you are a bad or good influence, depending on how you look at it! 

And to reference another thread, I too love Signifcant Others!  It is nutty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chee
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2004 05:53:16 PM »

OK, I caved.  I ordered it on Amazon.  It should be here in a few days.  And, even though I have no time for projects, my friend was complaining today that all of the little girl hats out there look like "I'm going to play in the snow!" instead of "it's a little chilly, think I'll wear a hat."  I think the little girl hat might have to happen between now and Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2004 10:56:21 PM »

Isn't it Significant Others awesome?! God, I love that show.

I think the Tryst has ruined me for life. It's all I can think about. I even spurn my Lamb's Pride!

I should also mention that I shortened the length of this hat significantly--by about 2 and a half inches. I noticed that the men's hats in the pictues looked a little long and droopy and I wanted this one to fit nice and snug (plus, I was afraid I was going to run out of the beloved Tryst).

Allison (aka "chee") it's about time! You NEED this book. Though I agree, you don't need any more projects right now.

Alright, I'm officially obsessed with this book. More projects to come!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2004 04:46:16 AM »

Thats good to know that you shortened the hat, Gertie. I was thinking they looked "long". It's difficult to tell from the picture, does yours have a fold-up brim, or maybe its a ribbed brim not folded up? I can't decide if I want to make one with ear flaps for my stepdad..I think he'd look so cute with flaps, but I want him to actually like the hat and wear it  Smiley I'm excited, I bought three hanks of  Manos Del Uruguay yesterday! I've never knitted with it before but it looks so nice to use.  BTW their website (Manos Del Uruguay) features REALLY inspiring knitted outfits.
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 87 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Avoid a Wine-Stained Smile at Your Next Party
6 Winter Beauty Essentials
Best Body Lotions and Creams
The Monday Makeover: Plum Eye Tutorial
On the Street with Sara Schaefer: Trendspotting Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...