A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
791 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 87
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Projects from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts"  (Read 175328 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gertie_T
« on: November 13, 2004 05:45:01 PM »

Here are two projects I just finished from one of my favorite new books--Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson (who owns Purl in NYC). It's a very yummy book with lots of wonderful projects.

The first is a cotton hat I made for a toddler--I think it looks kinda like a little flapper girl hat. Very Dorothy Parker!

The second is an alpaca/silk drawstring gift pouch--I filled it with a bottle of wonderful Philosopy bath gel that smells like cinnamon buns to give to my mom.

Has anyone else completed any projects from this fabulouso book?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008 04:02:02 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
flossie
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004 08:29:37 AM »

Oooh, pretty! I don't have the book, but I'll be sure to check it out. Nice work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004 08:34:03 AM »

Gertie - Great job!   

It is kind of funny b/c, when I reviewed it at the book store this book and the projects didn't really appeal to me at all.  But I adore that hat and the bag is pretty cute too.  Hmmmmm.  I might need to re-evaluate.

How long did the hat take?

Boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gertie_T
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004 09:54:29 AM »

Thanks, ladies!

The hat took, seriously, about two hours...I couldn't believe it. I usually make bigger projects like sweaters, but after these two I think I might be becoming addicted to instant gratification!

I fell in LOVE with this book when I saw it, but I know what you mean booglass--the projects are kind of understated. But, they're perfect for people (like mom) who don't want some of the edgier projects from the truly fabulous new SnB! (I just had a vision of my mom using a magic 8 ball tea cozy while wearing alligator mittens!)

Also, I had been looking for a simple sweater pattern with waist shaping and bell sleeves, and the Hourglass sweater in the book fit that description perfectly! So many projects, so little time, girls...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shan
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004 10:23:49 AM »

I agree, I can't wait to get started on some of these projects. Yes, the hourglass sweater is one I would like to tackle, as well as the arm warmers. I think the pictures are just gorgeous. It is a beautiful book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. - annonymous
craftymodster
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004 12:22:12 PM »

I love this book!  Your projects turned out so lovely, I'm especially keen on that hat (I want to knit one for my toddler).  Beautiful color choices.
I did the booties (NOT in angora), and they were the hit of a baby shower they were knit for.  I also completed the neck-kerchief, which I will add a brooch to it & it will be a gift for my son's first grade teacher.  Mine didn't turn out long enough to really keep tied together...thus the brooch. 

There's so much I want to knit from this book (I think one of the manly type scarves will be next)!  Thanks for the inspiration!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008 01:40:39 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be creating an utter mess
gloriana
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004 12:31:39 PM »

I'm glad you started this thread!  I think this book is lovely too - and am itchin' to start some of the projects, such as the hourglass sweater (do I smell a knitalong?), the handwarmers, the stuffed animals, and the men's raglan sweater.  It's nice to know that the projects really do take not too long to knit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
glccafar
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004 04:12:50 PM »

I am crazy about this book, it is much more my style than the new SnB.  I want to make practically everything in it.  Smiley  Now I just need to have some time... I'm still swamped making holiday gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedStitch
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004 06:41:53 PM »

Those things are great! I have to check out the book....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms.Snit

I knit therefore I am...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004 11:29:28 PM »

I recently drooled over this book while my poor boyfriend stood watching as I slowly turned page after page, reading little bits here and there...

There's lots of cute patterns and quick gift ideas that are simple enough that they're adaptable to nearly everyone you know.  There's lots of room for embellishments and experimentation in these patterns as well.

Me likes.  I'm sure I'll be buying a copy as soon as my wallet can muster it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.spunmag.com - Not just knittin' pretty
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 87 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Addicted To Hair Weaves
Stylist To Stars Shares Hair Extension Secrets
Woman Spent $25,000 On Weave
3 Ways to Get Massive Hair Volume
An Effective Dandruff Shampoo
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...