A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitty Safe Collar?  (Read 923 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 19, 2007 10:25:42 PM »

So Ive had animals all my life, but not kitties. Today my 3-year-old came home with a kitty (thanks grandpa).   Roll Eyes  any ways shes a tiny little thing (and sooo darn cute!!) and Im afraid Im gonna squish her because hes always running under my feet so I want to make her a little collar with a bell on it. My question is this, how can I do it and keep her safe??

and here is a link to a picture of her!
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/ludothegreat/Princess/princess007.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unglued Unsewed
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007 10:28:43 PM »

Make sure it's break-away so that if the kitty (soooo cute by the way) gets caught on something she won't get hurt. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap!

(And I would trade anything I own plus a part of my soul, heck all of my soul, for some homespun yarn)
zombiekilla

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007 11:24:06 PM »

how would I go about that?? remember I know nothing about kitties!! lol!! I dont even know what a breakaway collar is!! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unglued Unsewed
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007 09:06:01 AM »

A break away collar is one that is easily pulled apart.  You know the clasp on your necklaces- those aren't break away. 

If you have any cheap ID cords laying around the house you can get a break away clasp from that.  I'm not sure were they sell them. 

For the collar part you want something strong so it won't break and will last a long time.  Also make sure it's not too thick or made of a material that will bother the cat.  You should look online or preferably go to your local pet store to see what a collar looks like and how it works.  You might want to buy a cheap one.  That way you'll have all the parts for you to alter. 

I hopes this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap!

(And I would trade anything I own plus a part of my soul, heck all of my soul, for some homespun yarn)
The Great Starino
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007 05:20:08 PM »

I would buy one at the petstore and decorate that. THat way you can focus on making it cute, and it will already have all the safety features that you need.
Congrats on the cute kitty by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zombiekilla

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007 05:22:48 PM »

for kitties safety I will wait till I can get her a store bought collar (which will be forever and a year because the closest pet store to me is an hour away!!) maybe walmart has them??  I was thinking about using a SMALL bit of velcro to close it and putting elastic in the inside, would that be safe at all??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007 05:43:36 PM »

I can think of 2 ways to make one, both using elastic, since you can't get to a store right away.

1. Simply make an oversized "scrunchie" -- make a tube out of fabric, at least 2x the length of the collar, cut a piece of elastic to size (it should fit loosely around the kitty's neck, w/o any stretching, plus seam allowance); pull the elastic through the tube and sew together.

2. A little more difficult -- use webbing or even ribbon (won't last as long, but he'll be growing). Make a loop of elastic (or use a small pony tail holder). Put each end of the collar through the elastic loop and sew.

For cats, collars are only needed for ID and/or bells. If you want to put a leash on the cat, you'll need a harness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

woofluva
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007 03:04:05 AM »

You can buy a realy inexpensive cat collar kit online and it comes with the hardware breakaway buckle) and a pattern

www.cdwplus.com

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Digitize Super 8mm
How to Edit Your First Movie
How to Shoot Your First Movie
How to Make Your First Movie: Using Proper Gear
How to Make Your First Movie: Audio
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...