A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Switch plate delight  (Read 7432 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PlumCrafty
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007 01:54:37 PM »

PlumCrafty, Mod Podge is a sealant that one would use to cover collages, etc, so that the edges stay down and so that it gives a nice even glossy finish.  I'm not sure if you can find it in England, but here it is on one of my fave websites:

http://www.createforless.com/products/productDetail.asp?ProductID=26075

It can be hard to find in England, but the good news is, it's just watered down PVA glue! It comes in different finishes and what not, so it's not quite the same, but that's why they get to charge the big bucks. (Well, in comparison to PVA anyway.) There's a "recipe" for making Mod Podge-like stuff from PVA over here: http://ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=93043.

Thanks for the links bubba*tink and HelloCraftster! I'll let you know how I get on. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2012 Swaps
Nov: SS Ornament R3
Sep: MALC 6x6 Canvas
Aug: 4x6 Art5
Jul: Hand-Carved Stamp4 and Vintage
Jun: Journal for a Month2
May: 4x6 Art2 and Crafted Cushion Cover2
Apr: Beginners Inchie3
Mar: Art Journal
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007 04:57:09 PM »

I used spray adhesive, the 3M brand Super 77 to be exact.  You can buy it at any art supply store or hardware store.  I also have the Scotch brand spray adhesive, but it's not as hardcore.  You can try to use mod podge to apply the fabric onto the plate, it might work just as well.  Give it a try and let us know! Smiley

I'm here to report from the front lines: I have used Mod Podge as the glue (instead of the spray adhesive) and I've had good results. Yours do look a bit neater than mine, but it might be because you're a more careful crafter -- I kind of slapped mine together. Also, I think mine look better in person than in the photos I took. Apparently my Mod Podge skills are better than my photography skills (no big surprise there).

If you want to see pictures of some of the ones I've made, I posted them in my blog.

Edited to add: Oh, yeah! And I forgot to say that I love your switchplates. They're fab! (That really was what I meant to say first, but then the Mod Podge question came up and I had an answer, so I got all excited...)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007 04:58:45 PM by kaesea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007 06:12:33 PM »

Yours are MARVELOUS kaesea!  Such cute fabric, and I like that you coloured the screws too.  Did you use nail polish?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007 06:33:33 PM »

Yours are MARVELOUS kaesea!  Such cute fabric, and I like that you coloured the screws too.  Did you use nail polish?

Thanks for the compliments! Here's one other I've made that I'm particularly proud of: Skulls! (Again, I used Mod Podge to secure the fabric on that one.)

For coloring the screws, I actually used... Sharpies. I've used them on a few I have around my house, and it's been holding up pretty well, although we have some black ones in the bathroom and they do need periodic "touching up." I guess I would probably seal the Sharpie markings with something if I were selling them/wanted them to hold up without re-touching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007 06:42:36 PM »

Once again, I love this idea (and kaesea yours are great!). And I just realized that, growing up, my mom always covered the switchplates with the wallpaper that was on the walls- she even matched the pattern so that the switchplate sort of blended into the wall. I have paint on my walls (or someday I will- right now I just have naked plaster), and I just love the idea that my switchplates will be like little works of art!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
chocolatejellybean
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007 11:42:52 PM »

i loooove these! you made them really well. i really like the fabric you used!  how much fabric is overlapped in the back? and did you just poke into the screw holes?  you're so creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2007 11:25:53 AM »

Thanks, chocolatejellybean!  Here's a pic of the back.  Not too much fabric overlaps in the back, but just enough so that you can't see any frays around the edges.

And I use an exacto knife to cut tiny slits into the screw holes (that sounds so dirty!) and I poke the fabric through with the tip of a pen.  Since it has some adhesive on those little bits too, they stick nicely to the holes in the plate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
chocolatejellybean
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007 04:38:43 PM »

thanks for the pic! wow, even the back looks great, so neat!  haha, lol you're so funny! Cheesy  thanks for the details!

p.s. i guess i started the joke with my first comment!  haha!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 04:42:33 PM by chocolatejellybean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
neverseenblue
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007 10:14:36 AM »

these are amazing! I am so impressed with how neat they look!!

Really well done. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joey_v
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007 11:02:22 PM »

I'm definitely going to do this for my room. I might even try it on my socket plates. A couple questions... Did you have to somehow prep the plates by sanding them or anything? And what kind of Mod Podge did you use? I know they have like a million kinds out there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Silhouettes in Photoshop
How to Understand Resolution and Resizing in Photoshop
How to Use Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Get Started with Adobe Bridge
How to Use Metadata in Bridge
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...