A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretty Party Dress --*Tutorial* for Twisted Top  (Read 7423 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress , dress , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miasu
« on: May 19, 2007 07:41:09 AM »

So, I had my friend's Sweet 16 coming up, and decided to make a dress for it. Man, this was possibly the hardest thing I've ever done. Mainly because it took me forever. And there was a ton of ripping out of stitches (except, that's nothing new..) I'm pretty proud of it, because it was completely original. Usually I just mooch off of other people's ideas (I have the imagination of a vegatable.) And it worked out, yay!'

All of it was made from remnants, cept for the lace, totalling to about 1.5 yards and $7, ha.

Here's it on me:

On the floor (thanks floor!):

Close up of knot (it's not really a knot, but I don't know what else to call it) and lace detail:

Back:

Thanks for lookin'!

Oh, and this is me and my friend groovin' and the party, with all the boys lined up for us  Cheesy

EDIT

To add a twist/knot thing tute: I hope you can follow...

1. You're going to cut out 2 rectangles. They will be about 1.5 of your bust measurement long, and about 2.5 of your measurement of your breast vertically tall. You can add to the long measurement for security, or add/decrease (make sure it's at least 2x) to the tall measurement.

2. Sew these rectangles hotdog style, right side inside. Then flip inside out.

3. Now, take one of the rectangles and fold it in half. Maneuver the top one half sort of upwards, and sew the yellow line. I made the colors a bit different to demonstrate that you are sewing a top side and bottom side. Make sure you sew it so that when you flip it over, you don't see stitches. Leave a inch or so hole.

4. Okay, now insert other piece into that hole.

5. Now sew that rectangle the same way as the first. Sew as close to where the opening to allow the other piece in as you can. Make sure you sew so that stitches from both rectangles are facing the same way!

6. Sew those holes shut! Well, they won't be entirely shut, obviously, but when pulling on the ends, you should not see gaps.

Note: When you do this, don't be alarmed when it doesn't come together like spoons and icecream. I don't know about you, but this was tricky. Pay attention to where you sew! Make sure all you have are seams when you have the display side up, and not half seams/half stitches. Good luck!

EDIT AGAIN..

I forgot to add. Pleat or ruffle the ends to an aesthetically pleasing lay and size.. This is what makes the knot thing look ruffled.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 08:53:00 AM by mynailsarepink1 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muffins_Goes_RAWR
Don't get your bloomers in a bunch.

Glamour is art and I am my own work of art.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007 08:43:48 AM »

Aww, it's cute

The colors go really well together and I love that little cartoon at the bottom lol.

Very good job!! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days, that are the most intriguing." - Alexander Wang
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007 09:01:42 AM »

Cute dress , but what I really love is that awesome pic. of you and your friend with all the guys lined up ! HA i LOVE IT LOL Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feisty

costume student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007 11:35:27 AM »

lovely lovely dress, and yeah that cartoon is awesome!! I can totally picture it Wink

Please could you explain how you do the knot thing? I've been wanting to do a bodice with one for a while and never quite worked out how to do it, is it just a knot? Or do you twist it or something?? Explanation would be MUCH appreciated
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miasu
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007 01:16:22 PM »

lovely lovely dress, and yeah that cartoon is awesome!! I can totally picture it Wink

Please could you explain how you do the knot thing? I've been wanting to do a bodice with one for a while and never quite worked out how to do it, is it just a knot? Or do you twist it or something?? Explanation would be MUCH appreciated

Certaintly! I added it to the original post so's everyone can see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MasterBlaster
LONESOME NO MORE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007 01:20:11 PM »

OK, so I am assuming you used no pattern for such a thing, you are my hero.  That is awesome!  I really like it, the colors and the fabric are so nice. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
just_gemz

It's raining sunshine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007 06:07:19 PM »

I love it!
Thanks for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphelba
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007 07:54:05 PM »

Very pretty. The top turned out really well, and it's great that you were able to use scraps for it. I wish I could come up with something to do with mine (aside from heaping them up in the spare bedroom  Roll Eyes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
miasu
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007 01:23:11 PM »

OK, so I am assuming you used no pattern for such a thing, you are my hero.  That is awesome!  I really like it, the colors and the fabric are so nice. 
I sure did; I have yet to use an entire pattern. Thank you so much for all of the comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feisty

costume student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007 06:10:03 AM »

thanks for the tute, I completely understand now, all makes sense  Smiley
Thanks for explaining it to me, probably going to end up on my prom dress now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Poodle That Paints
Renderer Clark Smith Sticks to Traditional Media
Shantell Martin: Following Her Pen
Art Spiegelman Tours His Retrospective
At Home with Roz Chast
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...