A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pop Tab belt - - with kudos the good folks here who 'taught' me how to make it!  (Read 4634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Daria67
« on: May 18, 2007 09:48:42 AM »

pics from my deviantArt site

the blue tabs are from some coors cans iirc. they really add some nice colour. i'd love to find some red ones.

this belt has 109 tabs and about 12 feet of 1/16th inch nylon cord. it took about 90 minutes to make as it was my first attempt. i would say using nylon cord is a LOT easier than using hemp twine. i'm still looking for cord of assorted colours but thus far i've had no luck.

one tip if you plan on making this. the tabs will 'loosen' themselves as you progress in your work (nylon is slippery), so tighten your work frequently, not worrying too much if when you do so, the tabs overlap. you'll still end up with a fairly loose belt. another tip. to get approximately 1 foot's worth of belt, you'll need 28 pop tabs. also, remember, you'll want a few inches LESS (*worth of pop tabs. you'll need at LEAST an additional 6" of cord on each end to TIE the belt when you're done) than your waist size to tie the belt, say about 2-3".

and last but not least, many thanks to the tutorials here on how to do this type of craft!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007 09:55:07 PM by Daria67 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007 11:34:42 AM »

"you'll want a few inches LESS than your waist size to tie the belt, say about 2-3"."

To tie, wouldn't you want it to be a few inches LONGER than your waist size? Or make the pop tab part shorter, and add the string to get the right measurement?

Incidentally, someone tried kool aid dyeing monofiliment line (nylon), and she said it worked great.  I saw it on the dyeing board somewhere.

Cool belt, btw!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
susankg53
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007 03:41:40 PM »

I've seen purses made with the tabs and I wonder how they do those. Your belt is very cool and if I was a lot younger and thinner I'd be tempted to do one, but I'm not so I'll just enjoy yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wolfybrie
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007 07:45:47 PM »

Awesome.
I am trying to collect enough to make a whole shirt out of them, but I can't find the person on Craftster who did it first... Oh well...
But if you want different colored ones, I know that Monster energy drinks come in orange,  green, blue and red. Except sometimes where the top hole should be is hole-less...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yayapapaya
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007 01:29:06 AM »

the cherry amp energy drinks have red tops too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftHarmony
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007 11:11:30 AM »

First off, that belt is amazing! I love the color tabs mixed in with the silver traditional tabs. Second of all does anyone know of a tutorial for these pop tab belts? Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_______
Tori

"Just because you are an idiot, doesn't mean you have to act like one."- October Road

ljharmony.livejournal.com
Daria67
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007 10:37:55 PM »

i've been collecting tabs for some years now and have about 9000 in total to play with. thanks for the tips on finding coloured tabs! i made a correction to the op so the bit about length is now a bit more clear.

i've also been making chokers using the same techinque found here ==>http://ohsocrafty.blogspot.com/ . you'll need to scroll down a ways.

also, i made a small pouch (which turned out FUUUUUGLY) and the mistakes (and there were many) i made while attempting to make it have prepared me to make larger projects using sheets of attached 'belts' of pop tabs.

i also included a pic of a couple little bracelets i made. not sure if adding the buttons was a good thing or not. it sure didn't make the job any easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkiefairy
I AM ALL OF THE ABOVE!

TREEHUGGERSOFTHEWORLDUNITE!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007 06:47:41 AM »

That is AMAZING work! I admire your patience! And I believe you may have inspired me to try my hand at pop-top art! I have done art from bottle caps before, but nothing as fancy as this! Those buttons on the bracelet make it stand out and look cute! Good work!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Procrastinate now... Don't put it off till later!" ~Ellen DeGeneres
Are you a Crafting Queen? Support the Tiara Challenge by taking a look at this thread!
susankg53
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007 07:06:52 AM »

So how do you fasten the belts together to do your pouch? I was saving these tabs for the husband's nieces and I gave away about 2000 or more, I never knew what could be done with them. Oh well it went to a good cause.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007 07:37:39 AM »

I love these pictures!!! I Plan on making something out of poptops for one of my swaps! I now have a better idea of how to do it with all of these great photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Brasillia Nova
How to Do Beauty Pageant Hairstyles
How to Color Your Hair From a Box
How to Color Your Hair for Less
How to Care for Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...