A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yarn substitution - fireworks scarf???  (Read 1736 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ladykluck
« on: November 13, 2004 06:42:24 AM »

hello all!
i'm a new knitter and want to make myself the fireworks scarf from SnB (i really should be working on christmas presents, but......)  my LYS doesn't carry the brown sheep cotton fleece the pattern calls for and i hate to pay lots of shipping for just one thingy of yarn.
does anyone have an opinion about using lion brand microspun or polarfleece (whatever it's really called....i can't remember)?  those would be soft and toasty......and fit my non-budget for knitting.
help!  and thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004 07:03:33 AM »

Hmm, the microspun is kind of splitty and very slippery, but it's a nifty, shiny yarn.  You might get a cool look from that. It is sport weight, though, so you'd probably get a smaller gauge and need more than the pattern calls for to get the same size scarf.

The polar whatever is awful to work with.  I hate it hate it hate it.  It doesn't slide at all, and it's just hard to work with, and it doesn't feel good while you're knitting.  (It is neat and soft, but I don't think its worth it)  I just made a hat with that stuff (I'm not sure what brand it is, but one of those 'snowflake' 'polar' whatever yarns) and I have almost 2 huge balls left and i just can't face it. Sorry about the excessive rant.

Anyway, you should look for a yarn that has the same gauge as the cotton fleece = 5st/" on size 6 needles.  So basically a worsted weight yarn.  The cotton fleece is a mixture of cotton and wool, which is kinda hard to find.  Lion brand makes some nice plain cotton yarn (sometimes called Lion Cotton, sometimes called Kitchen Cotton) but black cotton tends to fade, so you might not want to go with 100% cotton.  They also make both Wool Ease(25%wool, 75% acrylic) and Cotton Ease(50%cotton 50% acrylic).

Anyway, depending on where you live you may want to go with just wool(if you live in Canada) or just cotton(if you live in California).  I personally don't like synthetics much, and I live in Canada, so I'd just get a nice smooth black worsted weight wool (like cascade 220 or Patons Classic Wool).  Anyway, whatever you get make sure to compare the yardage of the ball you buy with the yardage of the cotton fleece - 215 yds (which is on the big side for a ball of yarn) so you might need 2 balls.  Most yarn stores will accept a return of an unused ball of yarn (if the band is still on, etc) for store credit, so it's better to have too much than too little.

Ok, I'll stop now, this is waaay more info than you wanted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prek123
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004 06:15:41 PM »

I made this scarf, and I used different brands for than what the pattern calls for, but the same material. I am sure if you ask an employee at your LYS, s/he can help you find a different brand of the same yarn type.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004 06:25:49 PM »

ladykluck - Please keep us informed, I too could not find the cotton fleece at my lys and so haven't made the scarf I swore I couldn't live without. 

I think a new store that has opened miht carry it BUT the store is like 45 minutes away on a freeway that I avoid like the plague.  Boy do I ramble!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmarissa
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004 05:46:49 AM »

i've made a few of these scarves and never used the recommended yarn because i had other stuff on hand. i have used red heart acrylic for the "base" color when making the scarf for someone who was allergic to wool. i made one for myself using some old acrylic/wool blend my mom found in her attic (not sure what brand it was, as it was from the 70s, but it was definitely worsted weight). i think as long as it's worsted you should be fine, as i've found that it's more the texture of the eyelash yarn that i notice, not so much the black base yarn. hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004 09:12:04 AM »

I made this using Berroco Chinchilla and Berroco Plume FX and adjusted the number of stitches to get the width I wanted. Boy did it turn out yummy, and basically looking just like the photo. Don't remember offhand how much of either it took, though. Probably 2 of each?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004 09:23:55 AM »

just a comment, I love the lion brand polar spun stuff and find it very easy to knit with.  I used wooden dowel needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004 07:22:19 PM »

I made a scarf like this a week before reading the SnB--so I was shocked when I found it in the book! I used Lion's Brand Homespun and Fun Fur...my mom picked out the colors (it was supposed to be for her) and she picked Red Bridge for the background and Confetti for the Fun Fur.  I didn't really love these colors--but the Confetti looks like what they used in the SnB pattern.  So maybe you just want to find a black-ish Homespun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladykluck
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004 10:08:48 AM »

thanks so much for the suggestions! 

after some thought, i decided to go with the cascade 220 that melidomi suggested - i'm cold natured and heading to a place with very cold weather after christmas.  i haven't actually gotten to knit with real wool yet, being that i'm a beginner and unemployed with a bad LYS (ie i buy most of my yarn from big chains) and i'm looking forward to it.  of course, i have 94 bilion other projects to do before i get there.....

i'd be delighted to let you know how it goes.....  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004 09:58:40 PM »

Last Sunday while checking out a new lys in town I found the cotton fleece.  I finished the scarf in two nights or to be more exact; a couple of CSIs, a Seinfeld rerun and a few South Parks. 

I'll post a pic in the next day or two!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Natural Hair
How to Properly Detangle Natural Hair
How to Maintain Weaves and Wigs
5 Questions to Ask Your Hairstylists Before Getting a Weave
How To Create A Sleek Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...