A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spay paint scratching off  (Read 998 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashenstar
« on: May 18, 2007 02:17:21 AM »

Hi, new here. I just had a quick question I was sure everyone here could answer easily. I have this gross plastic "thing" that is like a dresser for clothes. I was wanting to spray paint it so it didn't look so horrible. Last time I spray painted something is was the mini blinds in my bedroom. It looked great but the paint was prone to scratching off. Is there a way to stop this? Another spray? Sorry if this is easy or somewhere else, I have not seen this question. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimmermonroe

Remembers when Polymer clay only came in white..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007 05:20:06 AM »

There is a spray paint called Krylon Fusion. It is meant to bond with plastic. I haven't used it personally but a friend did to revamp a plastic patio set and it worked great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello color!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007 05:20:23 PM »

I was gonna say the same thing, Krylon Fusion... This should really be in discussion & questions, but only you or a mod can move the thread.

I was wondering what exactly you have. Is it something like this:

Just asking because I have that thing. It's for shoes, and it's very handy, but it's a bit plain looking. I put some stuff on top to make it more fun, and it worked. I can take a picture if anyone cares. I'm also planning to decorate the surface in the summer when I'm gonna have time.

I've painted small pieces of plastic with regular Krylon spray paint and I haven't had it chip off, but I used many, many, many, MANY thin layers. It would take several spray paint cans to paint this, and a lot of time, so to me, it's just not worth it.

I was thinking of covering it up with fabric, or decoupaging some stuff on the fronts, or both. I also thought of making something to attach to the front made of polymer clay, but I think that would be too delicate for this since it's made of plastic. Hopefully we're trying to do the same thing, so does anyone else have any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashenstar
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007 12:13:34 PM »

OK , thank you. I just wanted an idea because sometimes the people at the local craft store are a little unhelpful with experience. Oh and apologies for posting in wrong section. I see the questions and what not now. It must have been the 5:00 am posting.  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007 04:20:17 PM »

If you don't want to paint (or if it peels off) Contact paper (the sticky plastic you use to line drawers) comes in lots of colors and patterns, and would stick to plastic.

Here's some I found:  http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers.aspx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
World-Renowned Origami Artist Brings Iconic Music Artists to Life
How to Make a Paper Boat
How to Make an Origami Box
How to Make an Origami Jumping Frog
How to Make an Origami Fish
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...