A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to magnetize a board?  (Read 1252 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Anenome
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007 01:13:53 PM »

Yes, that might work as apparently, the stuff is magnetic because it has iron filings in it...I'll do my darndest either way!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007 01:28:37 PM »

How about sheet metal?  I'm not sure how much it costs, but you should be able to get some cut to size at your local hardware store.  It's galvanized steel, so magnets stick really well to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007 02:16:00 PM »

Magnetic paint should work fine as long as you put enough of it on - the thicker it is, the more iron you'll have and thus the stronger the magnetism.   

I wouldn't buy galvanized sheet metal if you're going to cover it in fabric - galvanized metal is quite expensive, and the coating on it isn't great for you so you need to be somewhat careful working with it and would be wasted anyway by covering it.  If you want to just buy a piece of steel that'd work.  Plain old mild steel (which is what most sheet metal is) is plenty magnetic, and you can buy it in any thickness you want from paper thin on up.  You can bend or sand the edges to get rid of sharpness, drill holes in the corners to screw it to a wall, whatever you like.  It's not the cleanest stuff to buy (since it's usually for industrial or construction use, and can have millscale etc. on it) but it's no big deal.   Good luck with it   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
www.TheHaps.etsy.co m
cinnamon teal
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007 02:38:52 PM »

If you use un-glavanized steel you run the risk of it rusting and staining the fabric you cover it with.  The coating on galvanized steel is zinc, which is toxic if you ingest it (for example by swallowing pennies) or weld with it.  But if you wear a simple dust mask I really don't think you're in danger from sanding it or what not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007 04:44:48 AM »

Cookie sheet.  You can frame it, if you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
Anenome
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007 10:16:50 AM »

Thanks for all the great tips everyone, I wonder why I never thought of a cookie sheet! Could be I never ever bake and don't own one! I'm hot footing off to town to buy one right now!
Cheers! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polaris
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007 09:25:12 PM »

Hey- a friend gave me a Handyman mag to check out today and here's a new product writeup for magnetic paint . . . and I remembered your post so. . .

Check out kling.com

It says it is a primer so you can paint a color over it if you like.  They suggest a couple coats and it will be "like having a sheet of steel behind the paint". Says you can hang lightweight objects. Pricey though - 16 oz is $25 and that will give you 2 coats for 12-15sq ft. Good luck.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
francie pants
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007 07:08:52 PM »

It definetly takes several coats of magnetic paint to get stuff to stick to it.  And even then I could only get magnetic poetry to stick.  Somewhere I saw a blog or something where the gal found these large washer looking magnets that did the job.  I think she painted a whole wall to put her concert posters onto.  But I also recall her saying the magnets weren't cheap.   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Tamarind
What is Sambal
What Are Panko Breadcrumbs
What is Palm Sugar
What Are Pandan Leaves
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...