A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Unwanted Pregnancy I'll-Be-There-For-You-Gift?  (Read 2447 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meghiliz

Do you have a camel?

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2007 01:50:43 PM »

This is my first post!  And its kind of an odd one...

One of my good friends from grade school just found out she's pregnant at 18 - accidental birth control screw up.  She's planning on keeping the baby, but she's got a lot of medical issues so the chance of miscarriage is high, and I don't want to make her anything baby-related.

She hasn't told anyone except me and one other close friend, and I know she's feeling very alone and scared and hormonal, so...  I want to make her something to remind her that we love her and she's not alone, even if she's scared and hormonal.  You know?

She likes normal teenage girl stuff (I don't know why she's friends with me, haha).  She likes to party, and read, and is very ditzy (in a lovable way!).  She's also very fashionable so I can't make her something too dorky!  xD  She dances.  She doesn't have that many hobbies, she's too busy being a social butterfly! 

I'm a good at crochet, but kind of slow.  I don't do many other crafty things, so any ideas for easy-ish, quick-to-make gifts for a situation like this?

I'm totally totally TOTALLY stuck.  Thanks for any help.  xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007 05:10:18 PM »

Since she likes to read, get her a favorite book and stick in a bookmark. You could also make those cool hollowed books or a book purse and fill those up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
dizzylizzy

dreamers have become an endangered species

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007 05:37:29 PM »

I think that since it's supposed to be an "i'm here for you" thing, it should be something that she can have with her at all times. Y'know, so if she gets a scared moment, she can have it with her and be reassured. And since you call her a social butterfly, why not go with a butterfly theme? I like the idea of a little crocheted butterfly necklace, or maybe earrings. I hope this helps. My heart goes out to your friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007 05:43:13 PM »

I think that since it's supposed to be an "i'm here for you" thing, it should be something that she can have with her at all times. Y'know, so if she gets a scared moment, she can have it with her and be reassured. And since you call her a social butterfly, why not go with a butterfly theme? I like the idea of a little crocheted butterfly necklace, or maybe earrings. I hope this helps. My heart goes out to your friend.

Oh god, I completely forgot.

A card, of course, would be nice. And the butterfly theme is really cute too! You can give her a heart stuffie or a butterfly stuffie for her to hug when you're not there...or is that too cheesy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007 05:55:53 PM »

One of the things I've seen churches do for someone going through a hard time is to make a prayer shawl - basically a rectangle that the person can wrap themselves in to know that they're loved.
I went through the teenage pregnancy thing and I know how important it was for me to have one or two people willing to stand by me.
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
meghiliz

Do you have a camel?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007 06:58:26 PM »

Thanks for the ideas!

I like the thought of doing something butterfly themed.  Maybe a bracelet.  I think something beaded would be nicer than crocheted, and I've done a little beading before, so I think after school tomorrow I'll go searching for some nice butterfly beads/charms!  I could get that done quickly, and then work on a cute plushie (since it'll take me a while!) for when we all go to different colleges.  She's due in Jan/Feb, so we'll all be away at school and having something to hug would probably be very comforting!

Any more ideas?  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maddiesmibbs
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007 07:45:05 PM »

My friend made me a video slideshow of picture of the two of us with a very flattering narration.  It meant a lot to me as we both went our separate ways.   I had a hard time transitioning to my new school, but I'd watch the video and feel better.  Sometimes the best thing you can do is make something incredibly personal and direct. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sin esperanza
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007 07:54:17 PM »

you friend is lucky to have you around at the really difficult time, feel proud!  The plushie and beaded bracelet sound really good.  You could also make her a little book charm with 99 reasons why you love her/ IOUs for random phone chats etc?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hate handing over money for what I could just as easily do myself, it makes me nervous.  ~Sylvia Plath

My STS 33

Altered Fairy Tales Swap
berol
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007 02:53:59 AM »

I like the idea of the prayer shawl type thing. As you crochet you could make an afghan quite quickly using a giant hook and holding multiple threads together. Something like a granny square might not take too long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*waves*
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007 09:27:40 AM »

whatever you make her, a small, simple friendship bracelet in her favourite colours would go a long way. when i was going through hard times each of my friends presented me with a small braided floss bracelet that they tied around my wrist. looking at them made me feel a lot better and i could always feel them there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Philippa Gregory Talks About The Role of Magic
Marisa Silver Talks About The God of War
Life as a Poser Book Trailer
Jimmy Carter Talks About Leading a Worthy Life
Tartarus: Kingdom Wars II Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...