A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED] Ceramics  (Read 5158 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2007 11:19:03 PM »

I'd love it if Craftster got a board for ceramics.Ceramic's if one of those things that is hell when you are just trying to get the hang of so I think it would be great to have a board on it so people can swap ideas and tips on how to do things.
Ugly Shyla
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008 01:32:57 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007 07:12:02 AM »

I've seen some ceramics being posted in the Home discussion board. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
StoryBook

I play in the mud EVERY day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007 05:10:00 AM »

I looked around a bit, but I didn't see a home for pottery and ceramics.  Am I missing something??

I need a home... Grin

StoryBook
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand Crafted Heirloom Quality Ceramics
StoryBook Ceramics

MudPuppy Molds and Bisque Shop
floatingmoon
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007 05:36:40 AM »

I think you can try the "More Art, Less Craft" room in the forum. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
art_babe
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007 02:37:00 AM »

i found this post because i was about to say the same thing. i just started in ceramics and want to post my sweet raku! (when i find the camera of course). i would love a special plae for ceramics like the glass board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POTTER?? Handbuilder? If you want craftster to add a ceramics board let everyone know!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170834.0
seampoints
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007 03:06:07 AM »

I also noticed we dont have a board. I'm hoping to start a course in ceramics the end of this year. I think this would be really great!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShowLola

Tea is for tough guys!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007 10:13:33 PM »

Just wanted to add I'd love to see this as well.  Especially if it included the awesome recons I've been seeing around lately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lylyfai

Multi-Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007 11:40:30 AM »

I am actually shocked that there isn't a ceramics / pottery board. I think this also should include precious metal clay as maybe a sub board because it involves similar firing issues and kiln type questions, maybe they could all be lumped under a "Clay" board and put it with the poly clay. Just my 2 cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)
the littlest ninja

Feed that mustache, son.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007 01:21:29 PM »

There has been discussion about having a ceramics board here before, but it really seems like there aren't enough ceramics posts to warrant having an individual board for it.  Most of the ceramics posts can fit into either Housewares Board or the "More Art, Less Craft" board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take that you stupid corn!
Lylyfai

Multi-Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007 04:07:45 PM »

but it really seems like there aren't enough ceramics posts to warrant having an individual board for it.  Most of the ceramics posts can fit into either Housewares Board or the "More Art, Less Craft" board.

Not sure few posts is necessarily indicative of little interest. I personally didn't post anything about my polymer clay until there was a board, because to me dumping everything under a board that isn't exactly about that particular craft (which is very specific, as is ceramics, pottery and precious metal clay) made it pointless. I want my posts to be seen by folks that are there for the same thing, colleagues so to speak.

I think the "More Art" board would do better if it were kept a fine art board without cluttering it up with something that has nothing to do with it.  I wouldn't ask a sculptor how long I should anneal my glass beads...or ask a painter how long I should fire a 1/2" thick precious metal clay vessel with a top.

It really seems as though the more trendy crafts get the boards (fiber based crafts have 4 separate boards -knitting, crocheting, fiber arts and needlework). Not to mention that generally quilting/sewing are combined.  Well give us a Clay board! Ceramics. pottery, polymer clay and precious metal clay are all at its basic level similar. Each discusses molds, drying time, firing time, finishing, working the clay.. . I would rather have clearly delineated subjects then guessing and searching and basically wasting my time by searching for three posts on three different boards, when I could go straight to the board of choice if it existed.

Sorry if this sounded brusque, but I really feel like the odd-duck here.... And I swear if one more person tells me how wonderful the "Search" feature is....I will start shooting. Honestly, I know that is really convenient for some, but I usually get 15 pages of stuff that has nothing to do with anything and it gets old. Search is not a substitute for ease of use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dia Reeves Talks About Bleeding Violet
Beth Kobliner Talks About Get a Financial Life
Toby Lester Reveals His Favorite History Book
But I Wanted a Baby Brother Book Trailer
Farai Chideya Talks About Kiss the Sky
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...