A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,055
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wonky gauge issue  (Read 483 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lillizzyl
« on: May 16, 2007 03:11:18 PM »

i'm knitting up squares for a blanket and somehow in the past 3 days my gauge has significantly changed!  my first few squares were ultra tight and now theyre waaay loose.  i'm not sure why my gauge would change so dramatically so quickly except that now that i've realized how long this is going to take i'm trying to speed knit, but now that its happened is there any way to fix this without having to frog the mismatchy squares?

the difference is up to a half an inch increase width and length.  i was wondering if i could just yank at it and seam it so they all line up, but i don't want them to pull in or have the stitches looked all funky and stretched.

if it helps, the squares are plain old garter stitch in some acrylic i'm trying to destash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007 09:19:46 PM »

If it's a blockable yarn (not acrylic) you might be able to block to the correct measurements.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007 06:53:14 AM »

the difference is up to a half an inch increase width and length.  i was wondering if i could just yank at it and seam it so they all line up, but i don't want them to pull in or have the stitches looked all funky and stretched.

if it helps, the squares are plain old garter stitch in some acrylic i'm trying to destash.

How big are your squares?  Half an inch really isn't much, and with a blanket (as opposed to a garment) a little bit of bunching or stretching isn't too obvious.  (Been there...  Wink)

You could pick up stitches on the smaller squares, but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth.  Or if you crochet, you could crochet a few rows of edging to make the squares bigger.  Or you could just fit them together and make a cool non-square, non-rectangular blanket.  (Like, instead of trying to make the squares fit, you could seam them into a nifty abstract shape.)  Good luck -- looking forward to the finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
lillizzyl
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007 11:45:35 AM »

How big are your squares?  Half an inch really isn't much, and with a blanket (as opposed to a garment) a little bit of bunching or stretching isn't too obvious.  (Been there...  Wink)

You could pick up stitches on the smaller squares, but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth.  Or if you crochet, you could crochet a few rows of edging to make the squares bigger.  Or you could just fit them together and make a cool non-square, non-rectangular blanket.  (Like, instead of trying to make the squares fit, you could seam them into a nifty abstract shape.)  Good luck -- looking forward to the finished product!

the smaller squares are 6x6 inches and the larger ones are 6.5x6.5 inches. 

now that i've noticed how loose the later squares are i've been knitting more consistently though.  the main reason i think my gauge changed was because i'm still relatively new at continental and my attempt to knit like the wind resulted in the yucky enormous squares.  i say yucky because the stitches are uneven compared to the tightly done ones.  so now the odd squares are going to be the large ones.

thanks for your suggestions!  depending on how the rest of the squares end up i'll decide what i should do... i was going to do a crochet border around the whole thing anyway and i like the idea of the abtsract blanket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ham and Mushroom Pasta Bake Recipe
Slow-Cooker Pear and Apple Butter Recipe
How to Make Fried Eggs
How to Make Poached Eggs in a Spicy Tomato Sauce
Kd 101: How to Make Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...