A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: direct transfer from B&W photocopies  (Read 871 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mgodby86
« on: May 16, 2007 01:09:35 PM »

Hi everyone

I have been experimenting with transfer methods lately and have had a lot of success with baking the transfer right onto the clay with images obtained from a photocopy. I have been using black and white clip art type designs and hand coloring them with colored pencils.

They have been turning out great! Except for one thing. I've noticed that the outlines  (the black part from the original image), do not really stay black. They are a bit faded (although consistently) and have a slight purple color to them.

In most cases, I like the effect, but I'd also like to try and keep the black parts the way they are. Is there anyway to do this? I know recent copies work better, but I copied a ton of images and I don't want them to go to waste.

Thanks!
Meghan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007 12:26:50 PM »

I'm not really sure why that's happening as long as you are using toner.  The original white Sculpey in a box loves to turn purplish if it's over-baked (even at its normal baking temp), and some blacks will fade in sufficient ultraviolet light, but not sure aside from those things.

If you do leave your transferred items in sunlight or other UV light (fluorescent, etc.) consistently, they could be fading for that reason.  In that case, keep them elsewhere or coat them with a UV resistant acrylic (like Varathane... not Future though since it's not).

Seems like there might have been something else about colors fading or turning other colors at my site, but can't remember now.  If you want,  you can check these likely pages though:

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/transfers.htm

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/outdoor_snowglobes_fountains.htm
(... click on Polymer Used in Sun, Weather...)

HTH at least a bit...

Diane B.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
mgodby86
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007 02:23:23 PM »

Hi Diane

Thanks for your input. I'm not positive they were made with toner. I used the copy center at Staples. I was thinking that maybe since I've had the copies for a few weeks now, that they may have lost intensity?

I'm burnishing them onto unbaked clay, then placing a tile down on them for weight while baking. I am using the thickest setting on my pasta machine (which I finally bought!), and baking for 15 minutes at 275 degrees.

The first time I did it, I removed the tile with a potholder while it was still hot and when I removed the paper found that the image did not transfer completely. When I let the tile cool completely, however, and then remove it, the image is perfect (except the purple lines). Do you think baking it for less time would maybe help? The clay that has no image on it is of normal color.

Thanks!
Meghan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007 03:28:46 PM »

I'm not positive they were made with toner. I used the copy center at Staples.

If you made them on a "photocopier," they were toner.  Some of the newer and/or more expensive computer printers use toner these days instead of ink, but don't think the other way around is true.  Are you sure you weren't using a scanner/inkjet printer unit?  Things like that are getting really confusing these days, they come in so many combinations.  An inkjet will definitely produce a lighter copy if it transfers at all.

I was thinking that maybe since I've had the copies for a few weeks now, that they may have lost intensity?

Toner copies do work somewhat better when fresh, but the age of the machine can matter too re the best quality of toner... older copiers tend to have denser or more opaque.  Don't know that that was your problem though. 

I'm burnishing them onto unbaked clay, then placing a tile down on them for weight while baking. I am using the thickest setting on my pasta machine (which I finally bought!), and baking for 15 minutes at 275 degrees.. . . Do you think baking it for less time would maybe help?

Most people who do transfers don't heat the clay that long if they even do use heat --I think Dotty McMillan's old original technique for color photocopies called for only 5-7 minutes and some have suggested as few as 2 minutes.  So you might try that.  Again, look on my Transfers page for those and other lessons on doing toner copies to get all the details. 
(The type of paper may also matter, as well as many other variables though.)

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Traditional Music of Uzbekistan
Peter Flaherty on Sondeim on Sondheim Multimedia Broadway Show
How to Play Eighth Notes on the Violin
How to Play D Major Scale on the Violin
How to Play A String Notes on the Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...