A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tubing on the River- Halloween Style??? HELP PLEASE!  (Read 586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

southern5footer
« on: May 16, 2007 09:33:26 AM »

So, my boyfriend, myself and a bunch of friends are going to go recreationally tubing down the salt river in July.

It just so happens that the weekend we are going is "Halloween in July" and boyfriend and I think this sounds like a blast.

Being the craftster that I am, I would like to make absolutely wonderful costumes. They would need to be water safe and all that jazz.

And Ideas, tips, anything?

Every bit of information will be helpful and appreciated.
We both have swim suits, but I wouldn't be against making new ones or adding things to existing ones?

HELP! Smiley
http://www.saltrivertubing.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007 10:59:08 AM »

Mermaid or Swamp creature are the first things that come to mind.  Not sure exactly how you would make them and have the water safe, but it sounds like fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007 01:20:05 PM »

ok, this instantly made me think of the project runway episode where they had to make swimsuits, and the winner reminded me of a grecian goddess... sooo lovely!

Anyway, I think that if you do make costumes that are water safe, you're not going to want them to be bulky anyway (it is july, after all!) so I was thinking that prehaps you could use bathing suit material (which they do sell at joann fabric, and I assume elsewhere) and make styleized bathingsuits... this may be really difficult w/o a stretch stitch funtion on your sewing machine, though! You could easily use the bathing suit material to make a costume that is, in all actuality, a bathing suit, just with something more costume like about it... prehaps a cute fairy costume made by attatching leaf shaped bits of fabric to the bottoms, and using a shiny fabric? or a witches costume, complete with lace up front?

or, prehaps you already have your suits, but you just don't know what to do with them to make them more... costumelike? Well, like I said before, you could attatch bathing suit material to them, or make a removable costume out of bathing suit material to go over them... or, my other idea, is to use tericloth (beach towel) and make costumes out of that... so, you hop out of the water, you're all wet and soggy, but no need for a towel, b/c your costume IS your towel... it makes me think back to when i was little, and had a terricloth robe that I would wear over my bathing suit when I ate lunch... same concept, just make it more costume like... plus then you can probably save money on fabric just by buying cheap towels!

whatever you decide, I want to see photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

southern5footer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007 02:16:52 PM »

Those are great ideas. I like the idea of making leaves on my bathing suit! That could be fun!

*Note to self, make a trip to Joanns to see what options I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007 08:30:37 PM »

Water nymph. You could probably get some ideas from the costumes at trashy.com (<warning, adult content) As most of the costumes show skin, which would be good for july.
Such as the pixies: http://shop.trashy.com/index.php?s=bycatalog&id=521
A water bug might be cute.
Hancock fabrics has swim suit material, too. There is some sparkly stuff that might work.

Edit:
Spot on: http://shop.trashy.com/index.php?s=bycollection&collection_id=290 again not safe for work
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007 08:48:24 PM by Thesingingllamas » THIS ROCKS   Logged
southern5footer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007 11:11:09 PM »

Water nymph. You could probably get some ideas from the costumes at trashy.com (<warning, adult content) As most of the costumes show skin, which would be good for july.
Such as the pixies: http://shop.trashy.com/index.php?s=bycatalog&id=521
A water bug might be cute.
Hancock fabrics has swim suit material, too. There is some sparkly stuff that might work.

Edit:
Spot on: http://shop.trashy.com/index.php?s=bycollection&collection_id=290 again not safe for work

Such good Ideas. I now have motivation!!! YAY! Must start sketching ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Banh Mi Sandwich
How to Make Chicken Biryani
How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala
How to Make Fried Rice
How to Make Mango Chutney
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...