A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,142
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Learning how to sew on your own...  (Read 2360 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

decoratorwannab
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007 06:40:24 AM »

Is not always a good thing.

Yesterday I started to learn myself how to work the machine.

1) the tread fell out and I had to put it back in - took me an hour to get it back in again on the right way (couldn't find the manuel)

2) the only treads I had were brown-ish and bright blue, while working on a black project

3) I couldn't sew a straight line to save my life

4) I accidentilty sew my elastic band onto the fabric, instead of in between.

After I took a long break, and a goodnight sleep my mom fetched me the manual for me so I started to work on it again today. But I did the following things different this time.

1) I used the seam ripper to get rid of the blue/brown seam on top, aswell as refetch my elastic band (which is now tighter).

2) I found black tread, so make sure both wires were black.

3) I found something in the manuel about turning those two weels on it and what that did. So one went higher (tread related) the other lower (fabric related). Now that I've done that, it worked much easier.

4) After a little practice I now can sew (almost) straigh lines.

I'm twice as proud today as how annoyed I was yesterday. It seems it's not all that hard in the end  Cheesy

I can totally relate -  I tried to learn how to sew on my own as well - bought a machine from costco (thought it would be easy and that i would remember from high school teen living ;-)) hmmm...not so much the case...I ended up somehow breaking the needle off the machine haha - atleast your story ended well ...my machine is still without a needle in the closet...I need lessons!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007 05:17:32 AM »

You mentioned you couldn't sew a straight line, maybe you were just joking, but if not...
On most machines there is a guide to the right of the needle.  I find it very useful to line up my ironed edge to it.  You are guaranteed to have a straight line that way.  (By the way, ALWAYS iron your edges.  You may think it's a waste of time, but it saves time... believe me!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cokiethebaby
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007 06:46:40 PM »

HELLO ALL,  Wink
      I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT SOME STITCHING, ON MOST CLOTHES(STORE BOUGHT) ON THE HEMS,,, IS THIS A HEM STITCH OR COVER STITCH ,,,,OR ARE THOSE THE SAME BASICALLY. ON THE INSIDE OF THE HEM IS  STITCHED AND CLOSED, AND ON THE VISIBLE SIDE IS 2 STRAIGHT LINED STITCHES. DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A REGULAR SEWING MACHINE OR A SPECIAL DOUBLE NEEDLE SEWING MACHINE. I HAVE BEEN SEWING A WHILE WITH AN OK SEWING MACHINE BUT I'M KIND OF TIRED OF CLOSING AND THEN GOING BACK FOR THE SINGLE STITCH. AND I'M PROBABLY TAKING THE LONGEST WAY AROUND TO DO MY SEWING, I WOULD THINK THINGS COULD BE MORE TIME SAVING. THANKS  Huh
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007 06:48:29 PM by cokiethebaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

1920's Flapper Style Hats And Venise Lace Chandelier/ Pendant Lampshades I Make For My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/cokiethebaby

Other Things I've Made For Home: http://longlivecreativity.blogspot.com/

My Pins: http://pinterest.com/cokiethebaby
SpottedFrog
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007 09:39:02 AM »

All caps are very difficult to read, please don't type that way.

You are looking at comercially serged seams, yes it is double needle and a completely different machine from a regular home sewing machine although you can get home sergers.

Sergers are really for more experienced sewers as they are very fast, complicated to thread and a bit more expensive than sewing machines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007 01:52:51 PM »

can I just add that I can't achieve that with my basic model serger without having to purchase extras.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Style to Fall Outfits
How to Dress in NYC to Get Into Clubs
The Best NYC Shopping Neighborhoods
How to Add Style to Winter Outfits
The Best Shoe Stores in New York
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...