A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I turn on my sewing machine?!  (Read 1376 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheAmarant

I am. I am. I am.

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2007 11:41:51 AM »

Alright, I feel incredibly silly asking this, but I cannot figure out how to start stitching.  I am under the impression most sewing machines have a foot petal, but this one does not.

At first I thought that perhaps the petal had been lost over the years, but the owners manual says nothing about having one at all.

After looking some things up on Google I read about a few sewing machines that don't use a petal, but simply have a push button.  I also can't find a button, and once again the manual doesn't say anything about having one. Huh

Here is a picture of my machine.  It is a Sears Kenmore Model 48.
...Can anyone help me out?

(I do hope I am putting this in the correct spot.  I am going to make a bag, and I know you all use sewing machines.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RiverLikeARoad
Specializing in vintage clothing, shoes, and curious ephemera for your adoration.
mimi123333
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007 11:46:29 AM »

sorry, I can't help.  Just wanted to say your machine looks snazzy and I hope you figure it out.  Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Promise me you'll always remember:
you're braver than you believe, and
stronger than you seem and
smarter than you think"
-- Christopher Robin to Pooh
Muria
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007 12:44:38 PM »

It might be more helpful to post what the manual says.  The only copies I could find were for sale.  The only page I could get a look at was the bobbin adjusting page on one of the eBay auctions.  Since it tells you how to adjust the bobbin, it should have some directions on how to get it to go.  Wink  It looks like  a nice machine. There's no chance it's supposed to be a treadle machine that got separated, is there? (does it have an electrical cord?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
TheAmarant

I am. I am. I am.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007 01:08:52 PM »

No, it definitely has an electrical cord (and yes, it's pluggled in. Cheesy)

The manual goes into great detail about many things...but it never says how to get it going, it simply says "start machine."

Example:
"...insert the needle into the material by turning the hand wheel toward you, lower presser foot and start sewing."

I know that it has a clutch knob, and I can make stitches by turning that knob or by turning the hand wheel...but the thing has a motor, and its definitely not running.

It might be more helpful to post what the manual says.  The only copies I could find were for sale.  The only page I could get a look at was the bobbin adjusting page on one of the eBay auctions.  Since it tells you how to adjust the bobbin, it should have some directions on how to get it to go.  Wink  It looks like  a nice machine. There's no chance it's supposed to be a treadle machine that got separated, is there? (does it have an electrical cord?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Specializing in vintage clothing, shoes, and curious ephemera for your adoration.
charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007 01:14:50 PM »

I have never heard of a machine that didn't have some kind of 'foot' to control the speed of the stitches and to stop and start the stitching. Some older machines did have a 'foot' that was controled by your knee. I would suggest looking under the machine, inside the cabinet, and see if there is a lever that you could push with your knee.

Also, look directly under the wheel and see if there is an outlet there. If there is, you are missing the foot. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007 01:16:36 PM by charliebrown » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007 01:16:45 PM »

Charliebrown beat me to my post.

There's GOTTA be a foot/knee control somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
foreversandals
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007 01:17:00 PM »

Try turning the circle thingy on the right. Like you would to make the machine do single stitches if you had a machine with a pedal. That might work. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
TheAmarant

I am. I am. I am.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007 01:20:52 PM »

Ha ha!  thank you, I certainly did find a lever!  Now its just a matter of getting it to work...it only seems to want to make a horrible buzzing noise.  Oh well, thank you!

I have never heard of a machine that didn't have some kind of 'foot' to control the speed of the stitches and to stop and start the stitching. Some older machines did have a 'foot' that was controled by your knee. I would suggest looking under the machine, inside the cabinet, and see if there is a lever that you could push with your knee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007 01:22:35 PM »

Glad you found it. If the machine hasn't been used in awhile, it might need a good oiling to get it to move smoothly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheAmarant

I am. I am. I am.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007 01:29:04 PM »

I'm sure it needs some oil, it hasn't been used in years. (It belonged to my great grandmother who died in '99)  The main problem seems to be that the rubber track that loops the motor to the hand wheel is a tad to large now.  At least I know that can be fixed.  Thank you again for the tip!

Glad you found it. If the machine hasn't been used in awhile, it might need a good oiling to get it to move smoothly.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Upgrade Your Makeup From Office To Holiday Party In 4 Easy Steps
Tips for Applying Makeup
Putting On Makeup Was A Lot More Complicated In The 1930s
2-Minute Beauty Tutorial: Looking Radiant
How to Get Budge-Proof Makeup in 3 Easy Steps
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...