A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 65
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eco-craftalong  (Read 73606 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ollieorange
« Reply #280 on: July 16, 2007 03:22:36 PM »

thank you to so many people for replying to my post!

i made my laundry detergent today, i used borax, super washing soda, and this wonderful hemp and tea tree oil soap (instead of fels naptha).
i haven't tried it yet, but it sure smells wonderful, and was super easy!

ollieorange: where would you find wheat scoop?  does it have the same texture as normal litter?  i think that may have been part of the problem with the feline pine (even though i tried the gradual thing, etc)

i would love to find an alternative to the clay litter that would not end with the cats soiling all over the house.  they are so spoiled! and there is no way i can let them outside, i live in a very urban area.

THe soap sounds awesome.
I've been able to find the wheat scoop all over the place- I try to buy local, which probably doesn't help you unless you're in Madison. I've seen it at Target as well as a lot of grocery stores in my area. I guess the real name is Swheat Scoop, try doing a search for it online and they'll have a page that you can do a zip code search for retailers. The texture is a little finer than my cat's old litter. It's similar to the "high end" expensive litter I've gotten a few times. I lived in the ghetto before- no way could I let my cat's out, I'd seen way too many people try to run cats down with their cars. Now they're old and have never been out...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spareGus
« Reply #281 on: July 16, 2007 03:44:57 PM »

so, I used my detergent and worked perfectly.  The first load left clumps in the container where you're supposed to put powder detergent, so I just sprinkled it directly into the bin for the rest and it dissolved nicely.  My clothes smelled a lot like tea tree oil when they would come out, but as they are drying it seems they will be odorless (of scent and b.o. haha) which is fine with me.  I might try adding scent some other time, but for now I am quite satisfied.

I looked up Swheat Scoop and I am so excited! They sell it at Petco right down the street from me, and I can flush it!  It must be a new product to the store, I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it after the feline pine did not work out.  I think I will pick up a bag and see how it goes.  If my cats like it I will be thrilled.  It doesn't exactly seem easy on the purse, but for the health benefits I would be willing to take the hit. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hobbitsubculture
« Reply #282 on: July 16, 2007 07:59:51 PM »

I had a lot of fun making plastic bag fabric the other day. Adding cut out shapes from coloured plastic bags in between layers of white ones works quite well, although the shapes do end up a little distorted. Sticking fabric in the middle didn't work, because it just made holes around it - I don't know how well scrapbook paper would do.

Thanks, I had been thinking of trying fabric.  Maybe stickers would work.  I always buy stickers because I think I'll use them, but I never do.

Souvenir bags would probably be good too.  Does anyone else save unique bags from stores?  I have one from the Looney Tunes store in Boston, one from the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, and at least one cow bag from Vermont.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lightning Pop-- http://lightningpop.etsy.com

"If evil be the food of genius, there aren't many demons around."  -Adam and the Ants
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2007 09:31:45 PM »

In keeping with this months theme of garbage, I bought this dress last month at the school fete. Beautiful fabric, perished elastic. A few nights picking out the stitches from the elastic, a wash and an iron and the Yellow Goodbye Bag tutorial from Craftster.

Ta dah.

Dress on line

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #284 on: July 19, 2007 01:31:36 PM »

I'm getting in on this late, but better late than never, right?

I just finished making a swiffer wet-mop cover.  I took one of my husbands old standard issue Army towels that are too small to be bath towels but to big for hand towels.  I folded it in half, cut it to fit, pinned elastic to one edge inside, sewed only that edge, turned it right side out, then attached the elastic to the other side.  It only took me about 20 minutes, and that was including testing it out mopping my kitchen.  It works great!  At least as well as the disposable kind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #285 on: July 20, 2007 04:10:20 AM »

Sansa your bag's so prettty! Very summery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleCindy

My Signature Recycled Bag

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 20, 2007 10:03:25 PM »

Here is my eco rug I crocheted out of plastic bags. I must tell you that I had troubles getting this to lie down flat.  I used the light heat method from a blow dryer to get it to lay flat but it still isn't completely flat. Anyone know the secret to a flat rug?? I'm working on the pattern but don't yet have it up at my website. Coming soon though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleCindy
http://www.myrecycledbags.com
My Website dedicated to recycling & crafting
Free patterns & ideas for recycled crafts!
Sansa

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 21, 2007 12:16:56 AM »

Cool mat Cindy, I am teaching myself to crochet, partly so I can crochet two of the bags from your site. I don't know about mats especially, but I flatten warped plastic things by leaving them fac/curled side down on my kitchen bench with the window closed (it is east facing) until the object becomes warm, then throw some encyclopedias on it and leave until it cools that afternoon. It works a charm for things that were flat originally, not sure how it works with flattening a previously curved object, but it cheap and environmentally friendly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sansa

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 21, 2007 06:26:25 PM »

I found this patten in the Omiyage book. The ball is made from a pile of scraps covered with wadding, so now nothing is officially too small to be thrown out.

It looks nicer in person.

From this:

To this:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #289 on: July 23, 2007 04:31:01 AM »

hmm the problem with plastics is that they have a memory (well most of them do, cellophane is an exception) if things were previously flat but became curved you can heat them and they will remember what they were and revert to that.

but since you have cut and crocheted the memory of the individual strands will be all going in different directions and statistically these should all cancel each other out, so the non-flatness is due to subtle variations in the stitches (I reckon) I think the best thing to do is to try and heat it (as much as you think it will take without melting) and then weight it as Sansa says, otherwise I think the only thing you can do is to bond it to something flat and heavy.

unlike paper weighting it between heavy objects wont flatten it in the short term...it might if you were prepared to wait a couple of years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 65 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macho Makeover - Basic Adjustments 1
Macho Makeover - Introduction - Part 1
Using Lip Gloss Optimizer in Photoshop Part 1
Photoshop Tutorial - Multitones & Masking
Photoshop Tutorial -Toning & Burning
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...