A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 65
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eco-craftalong  (Read 73387 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Magdalene
« Reply #270 on: July 15, 2007 01:39:27 AM »

There's some excellent ideas on this thread, can I suggest a craft for november/december (I don't think that's been decided yet, sorry if it has).
Reuseable or recycled gift wrap.

I've been attempting this for several years with limited success, and I've finally succeeded: with gift bags.
I buy pretty offcuts of fabric, or adapt second-hand clothing, and make bags for the presents. My close family know to return the bags after use, so I don't have to make new ones all the time.
If you have several in a range of colours and sizes, you will be able to accomodate most gifts and occasions.

What do you all think?
Elena
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #271 on: July 15, 2007 08:46:15 AM »

There's some excellent ideas on this thread, can I suggest a craft for november/december (I don't think that's been decided yet, sorry if it has).
Reuseable or recycled gift wrap.

I've been attempting this for several years with limited success, and I've finally succeeded: with gift bags.
I buy pretty offcuts of fabric, or adapt second-hand clothing, and make bags for the presents. My close family know to return the bags after use, so I don't have to make new ones all the time.
If you have several in a range of colours and sizes, you will be able to accomodate most gifts and occasions.

What do you all think?
Elena

Excellent idea Elena. I made some reusable gift bags for a swap and started making some for myself too, I think I'm more excitted about them this year then the gift giving part, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teraspawn
« Reply #272 on: July 15, 2007 09:39:57 AM »

That's a great idea! I'm one of those people who irons old wrapping paper and reuses it, but obviously the person who gets the gift will just throw that out. What pattern do you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ollieorange
« Reply #273 on: July 15, 2007 10:59:51 AM »

I saw a thread somewhere on here that someone used old ceral boxes/food boxes to make gift "bags" out of, it was a cute idea too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Magdalene
« Reply #274 on: July 15, 2007 02:16:39 PM »

hi teraspawn
No pattern to be honest, I just hem and sew together 2 rectangles (or fold a bigger peice in half and sew that).
If i'm feeling fancy, I mitre the corners, but I only just learnt how ot do that.
There are instructions at
http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/ezgiftbags/easy_giftbag_pattern.html

I never bother with sewing the ribbon to them, if you use loose ribbon the bags fit a wider selection of present sizes.

I make the bags quite a bit taller than they'll need to be, then fold the top of the bag back down inside itself, which makes the top look puffy and pretty.

Elena
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spareGus
« Reply #275 on: July 15, 2007 07:54:53 PM »

thank you to so many people for replying to my post!

i made my laundry detergent today, i used borax, super washing soda, and this wonderful hemp and tea tree oil soap (instead of fels naptha).
i haven't tried it yet, but it sure smells wonderful, and was super easy!

ollieorange: where would you find wheat scoop?  does it have the same texture as normal litter?  i think that may have been part of the problem with the feline pine (even though i tried the gradual thing, etc)

i would love to find an alternative to the clay litter that would not end with the cats soiling all over the house.  they are so spoiled! and there is no way i can let them outside, i live in a very urban area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jendecker71
« Reply #276 on: July 16, 2007 05:02:34 AM »

Has anyone made the "fabric" from plastic grocery bags yethttp://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-overdue-fusing-plastic-bag.html?  I was wondering if you couldn't use that "fabric" to make the recyclable gift bags (double duty recycle). 

I was also wondering about the recycled "fabric"...can you put a layer of decorative paper (gift wrap or leftover scraps of scrapbook or magazine pages) between the layers of plastic to give it a more decorative look.  I guess I'll just have to break out my iron and sewing machine and give it a whirl.  I'm thinking of making some gift bags out of the plastic grocery sacks and magazine pages (using the grocery sacks instead of laminate) for bags like these http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=2303.0.

Tell me what you think!
Magdalene, are you running the ribbon through the top hem to make a drawstring or just stitching it on top to tie (to hide the gift inside).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hobbitsubculture
« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2007 09:14:21 AM »

Has anyone made the "fabric" from plastic grocery bags yethttp://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-overdue-fusing-plastic-bag.html?  I was wondering if you couldn't use that "fabric" to make the recyclable gift bags (double duty recycle). 

I've tried both methods in that tute-- layering a few bags or folding one bag into layers, and the one bag method worked a lot better for me.  With the larger fabric, I didn't have enough wax paper to cover it while ironing and I think I ended up with holes because  I couldn't see what I was doing (I used a paper bag, cut open).

But, the smaller plastic fabric might be more irritating in the long run because now I have to sew it all together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lightning Pop-- http://lightningpop.etsy.com

"If evil be the food of genius, there aren't many demons around."  -Adam and the Ants
teraspawn
« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2007 10:20:52 AM »

I had a lot of fun making plastic bag fabric the other day. Adding cut out shapes from coloured plastic bags in between layers of white ones works quite well, although the shapes do end up a little distorted. Sticking fabric in the middle didn't work, because it just made holes around it - I don't know how well scrapbook paper would do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Magdalene
« Reply #279 on: July 16, 2007 02:51:07 PM »

jendecker
I go for the low-tech approach and don't attach the ribbon at all, I just tie it on when I put the present in.
That works fine for me.
Elena
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 65 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Advice from Ariana Grande
Beauty Buys Under $15
Best Cream Blushes For Different Skin Tones
Foods to Avoid For Better Skin
New Tool To Apply Perfect Eye Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...