A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 65
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eco-craftalong  (Read 73650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2007 11:05:35 PM »

If its just regular water with not much extra in it I would use it to water your flowers. I use to have a prob with flooding every fall in my old apt when I would turn on the hot water based heater. Mine was a small amount usually 1-2 turns of the carpet shampooer & I would dump it in the toilet, don't know if you can or should with large amounts.

Moth repellant:
2 ounces dried rosemary
2 ounces dried mint
1 ounce dried thyme
1 ounce dried ginseng
8 ounces of whole cloves
mix up & put in little cloth baggies to put in your closet

I found a website that says to put your clothes in the dryer on high heat for 15min or refriderate them for 2 days & it kills them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2007 12:34:44 AM »

I've never tried this method of getting rid of ants as I gave up Aspartame years ago after reading about the dangers of it to your heath, but it's worth a try. There are various articles on the web about Aspartame  Undecided and it's properties as a neurotoxin
http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20060612.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2007 01:30:07 AM »

...and to think that up until 2 years ago I was using this in my coffee  Huh Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Samsara

« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2007 01:43:37 AM »

I know! It's totally frightening! The thing is, if you read more into it, it's been linked with Lupus, which I have! I used to use alot of low-cal stuff, till I started reading up about Lupus and Aspartame. I gave it up straight away. I try to eat more natural stuff now and I'm an avid label reader!  Undecided 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2007 01:45:04 AM »

...and to think that up until 2 years ago I was using this in my coffee  Huh Shocked
Shocked Shocked Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Samsara

« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2007 01:46:43 AM »

Aspartame - good for killing ants! Bad for human health!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FredPie
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2007 05:51:54 AM »

Aspartame - good for killing ants! Bad for human health!
Eeek!  I've always avoided that stuff, deciding the 16 calories (I think) in a packet of sugar was not enough to worry about.  Then seeing it linked to ADD/ADHD made me skip it for the kids, just because.  NOW I have a kid who can't have corn in ANY form, so I've let him drink a few diet sodas ... that's stopping now.  Jones Soda is sweetened with cane sugar.  I'll pay the extra $$ for it.  (Besides, it's yummmmy!  Smiley)

Quote from: motleycruiser
If its just regular water with not much extra in it I would use it to water your flowers.
it's kinda ugly yellowish and sudsy.  What we pulled up with the shop vac and the carpet shampooer was VERY sudsy.  I thought maybe the shop vac had soap residue in it (it's borrowed) until I'd rinsed it and dumped my 3rd batch into the tub and it was STILL sudsy.  What came out of the carpet was also nearly black.  Yucko.  Now, I admit I don't often vacuum the basement, but still: gross!  I usually dump the shampooer water into the toilet also, but with this many gallons, I thought it wouldn't be good to put it in the sanitary sewer.  It's 10 I scooped up off the floor with a cup and buckets, then probably at least 25 gallons in the tub. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007 06:35:37 AM by FredPie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to swap, but must admit I'm a little flakey!
lady4feet
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2007 06:45:35 AM »

For ants in general they don't like any strong smelling spice. Mint and spicy smells are supposse to be the best to get deter them. I live in the south and do not treat our yard chemically  so we always have ants in our yard. Last summer I went and got this horrid tasting cheap gel toothpaste which was cinnamon flavored and put a ring around all of our trash cans and some other stuff. The ants left it alone, I had to reapply it every few weeks.

check out this website for some helpful hints http://www.eartheasy.com/live_natpest_control.htm

Also try putting up some toad and bat houses. I love watching the toads eat the bugs on my back stoop Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2007 07:28:10 AM »

Here's another one for the ants:  Mix equal parts Borax and sugar, and put it wherever you see ant trails.  They will take it with them to the nest.

And for the moths or whatever you have in the cupboard, try bay leaves.  Just scatter them around your cupboard, but make sure they are whole leaves.

Good luck,  bugs are not fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2007 07:42:45 AM »

For ant trails, I've always been able to remove them with a bleach and water solution.  (I follow it with a vinegar solution to stop the bleach doing damage to the surfaces.)

Where do I find out about Toad Houses?  My BF refuses to let me put up a bat house, despite his mother's support of the idea; she teaches her class about bats each year, but he still can't get past the whole rabies thing....

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007 07:43:13 AM by PimpernelSmith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 65 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Phillipa Gregory Talks About The Boleyn Inheritance Part 1
Meet Author Tonya Reiman
Lt. Gen. Russel Honore Talks About Survival
Joanna Smith Rakoff Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Catherine Hickland Talks About The 30-Day Heartbreak Cure
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...