A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 65
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eco-craftalong  (Read 73853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2007 03:02:30 PM »

My SO is as non-ecofriendly as they get so I'm trying to slip in little things here & there that aren't too much of a change in routine. We use the scrubbie sponges & the disposable discloths already preloaded with the soap (I didn't buy them) so I'm sneaking in handmade dishcloths.

as to how eco-friendly are they....... depends on what you currently use. If you use disposable stuff or paper towels a lot. In my house if I make it then my SO is more likely to wash it because I made it than to pitch it for a new sponge.

And I get an excuse to buy more cotton sweaters to recycle  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MargiePoo
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2007 06:52:51 PM »

I had to slide in before the end of May. Yay! i made it and i am saving the world too.

I used lady4feet's recipe for laundry soap. (page 3).  What a great idea and easy process.

Brought home all of the ingredients home in a canvas tote too!  My batch filled two big pepsi bottles.  The soap did a great job at cleaning my clothes, even let the sun dry my undies outside.  I totally recomend this to anyone.

Thanks lady4feet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2007 07:21:31 PM »

Great! And you recycled the Pepsi bottles too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
FredPie
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2007 11:15:51 PM »

Thanks for the kick-start: I've been wanting to make my own detergent, but somehow when I'm out, and I'm in the store, I find myself reaching for the premade stuff, even though I really don't like the extra fragrances and all.  I do use vinegar in laundry and dishwashing, though.  I use baking soda to scrub sinks and deodorize the rat cage. 
[rant] what is the deal with disposable EVERYTHING these days??  Why do you want a wash cloth you use only once??  Why use a paper towel when a wash cloth will do the job just as well?  Swiffers, wipes, everything.  It drives me batty! [/rant]
Sorry, nobody I rant about this aloud to sees my point.  They think I'm the strange one.  Me and my Glad Rags.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to swap, but must admit I'm a little flakey!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2007 01:38:28 AM »

The European perspective...i am not sure how different things are this side of the atlantic, but disposal of household rubbish is really expensive, recycling is free, so so save money we recycle all our cans, bottles, tetrapaks, cardboard and paper.

I personally save jars as I make lots of preserves in the autumn (tastes better, I know what goes into them and a lot cheaper) I also compost all the kitchen waste, that is mostly because I have two compost bins in the garden, but I am a convert becuase I used some compost when potting on some veggie seedlings, its my first year planting veggies and its fabulous, I really recommend it! As regards reducing pesticides, companion planting can help, that means planting certain plants near others to deter the wildlife! Like the basil and tomatos that someone mentioned, another useful one is french marigolds near tomatoes. Beer traps for slugs rather than slug pellets, but you have to remove the dead slugs afterwards and that is a bit ikky!

I dont get the disposable stuff either, it is so wasteful not to mention very expensive, I have an old spray bottle in which I keep a mix of white vinegar, bicarb and essential oils and use that to clean my worksurfaces. Dishcloths and sponges can be tossed in the dishwasher to clean (with the dishes) as the temperatures in there are very high so they get disinfected.

A clothes line outside and a clothes airer inside (for drying clothes when its raining out) I dont have a drier, mostly becuase I like natural fibres and they shrink a lot in the drier!

In Ireland we have a plastic bag tax it costs 15c for every plastic bag, its illegal for retailers to give you ones free! So I have lots of canvas bags that I have tie dyed, they look very funky!

It is an attitude adjustment to start recycling (and of course reusing for preference) but if you just make one change per month after a few months you are making a real difference!

And wardrobe refashioning, a pledge not to buy new clothes or shoes for a fixed period, but to refashion, remake, renew, reuse. I have just completed two months, Its cool!

http://www.nikkishell.typepad.com/wardroberefashion/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2007 06:01:36 AM »

Thanks lady4feet!

Your welcome! I'll have to tell my Hubby that someone else out in the world uses it so he wont think I'm so weird, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MEshelltakeone
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2007 06:24:22 AM »

wow edel thats fab!!! good job!!!

and a tax on plastic bags??!! wow.- maybe we need that here in the states to cut down on the mass amounts of wasting them...hmm...

i am also doing a sort of refashioning deal... mainly b/c i HATE the trends in stores these days and why buy something u only wear for a season?

so kudos to you!!

Margiepoo-[/b- great job on the laundry soap!! i have been wanting to do this for some time and now my bulk buy detergent is almost gone..so...  Grin

oh..and another tip or whatever: i dispise paper towels so im trying out ( with my paper towel-aholic bf) the cloth napkins instead..i bought a large linen tablecloth on the clearance aisle ($7) and am going to cut it and sew it into paper towel sized napkins!! does this sound like a good thing, or not??
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007 06:29:36 AM by MEshelltakeone » THIS ROCKS   Logged

linzo

yep, I'm holding a rooster

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2007 07:39:42 AM »

It is JUNE!!! Smiley

What awesome stuff for may!! Grin
Hopefully I will get my cleaning kit together soon now that I have the cash.

I am so glad to see so much chatter on here.

So on to June: reducing plastic waste...

I guess this could encompass crafts made of plastic that would have other wise been thrown in recycling or a landfill, or crafts that enable you to avoid using plastic products. Or even crafts that do both!!! Smiley

Any other ideas???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/linzo

...but for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, and count every beautiful thing we can see...
- Neutral Milk Hotel
onthinice
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2007 07:45:00 AM »

Yesterday I finished my new market bag from Folk Bags.  The yarn coordinates nicely with my scooter, so I'll be stylin' when I go to the store and farmers' market.  I'm also making a green version, so I can clash loudly  Grin

mEshelltakeone - cloth napkins rule!  I have a drawer full of kitchen towels, dish rags, and cloth napkins.  I've picked up quite a few napkins at yard sales, but most of them are polyester.  I like the ones I've made out of cotton the best (softer, more absorbent).  Your linen ones will be classy!

Here's the pattern I use for napkins with mitered corners (.pdf).  There's a mistake in the instructions - it says to use an 18 inch square of the background fabric for a finished napkin size of 16 inches square.  You really need to start with a 20.5 inch square of background fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
jessvict
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2007 07:56:53 AM »

in my girlscouts group we made situpons and we used old vinyl tablecloths and filled them with plastic bags for the cushion. If you go camping with kids that would be a good project to do and is better than sitting on the ground  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 65 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Waiting in Line For Margiela For H&M
Marion Cotillard Covers W Magazine With A Nutcracker
What To Wear To Subconsciously Attract Men
Vogue Magazine Reveals Their 10 Best Dressed American Women Of The Year
Lady In Red: Rihanna Rocks Barely There Calvin Klein Dress
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...