A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
350 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 65
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eco-craftalong  (Read 94837 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RecycleCindy

My Signature Recycled Bag

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2007 09:23:42 AM »

i just bought a huge box of Borax at my grocery store and cant believe how many uses it has!!! i actually bought a book recently that led to the Borax purchase called......Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things....

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=3805362107518&type=title&find=extraordinary+uses+for+ordinary+things&x=5&y=6

and its super great!! i cleaned my bathroom sink countertops with borax sprinkled over a damp sponge and it shined like crazy!! AND i didn't have to SCRUB the dried toothpaste and such off...it just came right off!! amazing yes!!

i have also stopped buying nasty toxic chemicals to clean with and this book has helped a lot.... even with toilet cleaning!!

Thanks so much for sharing this valuable information. I have used baking soda for cleaning before but I must try borax now. The book looks very helpful and I plan to check it out too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleCindy
http://www.myrecycledbags.com
My Website dedicated to recycling & crafting
Free patterns & ideas for recycled crafts!
baby-bumblebee
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2007 09:43:22 AM »

I am in. It is sad to say that when I was much younger that I was more eco-minded. I wanted to save the world. Then I do not know what happened, I think I just got lazy and a bit self absorbed.

Now I have three wonderful children. And I look at them and my eco-minded childhood days want to come back. I want them to live in a cleaner world than I did and want them to know the joy of having children without worry about the dirty world we live in. So I want to start my little part of cleaning it again.

So I am all over this CAL.

I have a few questions first and they might seem rude but I honestly do want to know and do not know. First, how is making your own wash cloths eco-friendly? I have made one so far as a stash buster but not sure how it was eco-friendly other than I did not use any gas to get the items. Are their others?

Also what is an eco-friendly garden? One that does not sure chems to kill bugs/weeds? If so I started my garden in April and it looks pretty good (I am proud because I usually have a black thumb and kill anything I plant).

So I guess I sorta did the May thing? Maybe I can make a few more crafty things that are eco minded.

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my very first blog!

http://sassy-pixie.blogspot.com/
MEshelltakeone
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2007 10:01:17 AM »

aw. shucks. youre welcome RecycleCindy!! just trying to do my part  Grin

baby-bumblebee: i dont think your questions are rude at all!! i actually thought the same thing and just figured making dishcloths would be more of a frugal thing than an eco-friendly one. maybe someone here is more intune to the process of store-bought ones than me and can answer better?.. but thats my take.

i have actually adapted to the frugal/eco-friendly lifestyle here lately and a lot of things go hand in hand..it's quite neat ...to me. sorry, just some random spout- and actually everyone around me was very impressed and not at all teasing about it..which helps too.  Wink
wow.that was kind of off topic...i will see what other ON topic things i can come up with to balance that last remark
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ma Rut
A Made-In-The-South Original

Swap Addict, officially.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2007 02:20:54 PM »

Also what is an eco-friendly garden? One that does not sure chems to kill bugs/weeds? If so I started my garden in April and it looks pretty good (I am proud because I usually have a black thumb and kill anything I plant).

Using chemicals, like pesticides or even some fertilizers, can be extremely harmful to the environment around you. It's called "nonpoint" pollution or "runoff". Basically, anything you put in or on your yard will eventually get washed away by rainfall or you watering your lawn. The chemicals deposit directly into your nearest water source (lake, river, underground stream) and damage whatever ecosystem may be present (plants, animals, humans). It doesn't seem like a big deal but if you think in terms of your whole community contributing to the pollution, then it gets kind of scary. Embarrassed

Here's a helpful link if you want to learn more:
http://www.epa.gov/owow/nps/whatis.html

(I know I probably sound like a text book lol I just worked on a project that was all about this subject...just glad I can pass on the information)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

linzo

yep, I'm holding a rooster

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2007 03:18:13 PM »

I thought of the washcloths as maybe an alternative to paper towels or instead of those disposable scrubbies people use in the shower or disposable sponges for dishes and stuff.  Just trying to make the CAL stay crafty... it is kind of easy to run off topic with this one! Smiley

It is also possible that a handmade item could leave less of a carbon footprint... I don't know.... pretty new to all this info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/linzo

...but for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, and count every beautiful thing we can see...
- Neutral Milk Hotel
FauxChina

Hello, my name is AAAAAAAAAHHHH

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2007 05:11:46 PM »

What a great idea for a craft-a-long!  I've got a bunch of wonky crocheted squares I made recently that are now dishcloths.

Making your own dishcloth is more Eco friendly because the materials are not gathered, then outsourced to a factory, then shipped to the stores.  There is less of a middle man when you do it yourself, especially if you use recycled materials, or buy your materials that were locally made.

I totally need to make some shopping bags, I bought one made from 100% recycled items from the grocery store, and the cashiers look at me like I'm on crack everytime I decline plastic bags.  I'd like to have several, a few for food and one or 2 for other items.

Vinegar is one of my favourite household cleaners.  Also, toothpaste is really good for shining the faucets in the bathroom, so if you drop a glob, rub it on the tap and wipe it off with a damp cloth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a new mom to my beautiful baby girl Rhaevyn, born June 12th, she keeps me super busy.
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2007 05:36:10 PM »

Using chemicals, like pesticides or even some fertilizers, can be extremely harmful to the environment around you. It's called "nonpoint" pollution or "runoff". Basically, anything you put in or on your yard will eventually get washed away by rainfall or you watering your lawn. The chemicals deposit directly into your nearest water source (lake, river, underground stream) and damage whatever ecosystem may be present (plants, animals, humans). It doesn't seem like a big deal but if you think in terms of your whole community contributing to the pollution, then it gets kind of scary. Embarrassed

Here's a helpful link if you want to learn more:
http://www.epa.gov/owow/nps/whatis.html

(I know I probably sound like a text book lol I just worked on a project that was all about this subject...just glad I can pass on the information)

I just learned about this too!

Basically, pesticides=washes away=polluted runoff=polluted water=harms the environment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
onthinice
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2007 06:03:26 PM »

Rain barrels are good things to have for the garden.  They keep some of the rain water from rushing off your roof, down your driveway, and into the sewers when it could be redirected into the lawn or saved for use in a garden.  I have two, and use them all the time for watering my plants and washing my hands and tools.   They are pretty simple to make.  I built one at a workshop and then made the second one at home.  Here is a link to info on the why's and how's of rain barrels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
baby-bumblebee
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2007 07:14:26 PM »

Cool about the garden info! I do not use fert. (other than compost) and do not use any chemicals on my veggies. The main reason I did this was for my family's health. I did not know not using helped more than us. Smiley Cool.

Just a tid-bit.

I read some place that basil keeps some bugs away like flies. I have some planted in the garden as well as in the house and it is fly season and I have as of yet to see any. So I guess it works. Smiley And basil and tomatoes are ohhh soooo yummy! Smiley

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my very first blog!

http://sassy-pixie.blogspot.com/
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2007 07:40:37 PM »

Even if the basil thing doesn't work, it's always good to eat! Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 65 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
The Fever of 1721
Michael Puett on THE PATH to the Good Life
Robert Putnam on the "Opportunity Gap"
How Cyber War Turned the Tide of the Iraq War
Work Like Any Other
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Aubergine, Tomato and Goat Cheese Bake
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...