A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 65
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eco-craftalong  (Read 73569 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

linzo

yep, I'm holding a rooster

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2007 06:42:44 PM »

So I saw this mentioned in a board elsewhere and I thought "what in the world are we waiting for, lets get this started right now!"

I guess my idea is something like each month you kind of designate what eco-friendly craftrelated goal you would like to accomplish (ie. sew/ knit/ crochet grocery totes, plant your own veggies, make reusable swiffer covers, make a reusable lunch bag and pack eco-friendly lunches, ... the list could go on and on) and then post here about how it goes and we can all kind of cheer each other on and help each other out and gain new ideas from each other.

I have never even particpated in a craftalong and I know this is a rough draft of how it could work but what do you all think. I feel like this could help motivate me and hopefully others to take some risks and try new eco-friendly crafty things! Smiley

-Lindsey

Okay so I pasted this up here so it was easy to find... I also didn't want to get rid of my original post... so here are the themes so far.... I am wide open to suggestions for the rest so feel free to PM me. Wink

May: eco friendly cleaning?
(craft a eco-friendly cleaning kit, reusable swiffer covers, dusting?, craft a clothes drying rack, washcloths, shower scrubbies, etc.....)

June: reducing plastic waste?
(grocery bags, crafts using grocery bags, any other creative crafty ideas)

July: make your "garbage" into something reusable?
(......)

August: reducing paper waste?
(journals, make "new" paper, recycled into cards, etc....)
[/b]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007 05:58:25 PM by linzo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/linzo

...but for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, and count every beautiful thing we can see...
- Neutral Milk Hotel
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007 06:50:37 PM »

Definitely in. I am currently in the process of making a cloth bag, so my mom can use it, instead of plastic bags for her groceries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
MarysMom
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007 06:57:31 PM »

Sounds great. Id like to participate too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessvict
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007 08:18:34 AM »

i would participate too. Smiley are there going to have specific things to do each month?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007 08:38:25 AM »

I LOVE this idea Lindsey  Smiley I'm all for recycling and cutting down on my waste, I'm just not sure how I could " CraftAlong" though Roll Eyes
 I tend to use old clothing as cleaning cloths and things like that, I'm sure nobody needs to see my hubbys old work vests being used as a duster  Grin
I'm working on a crochet grocery bag at the mo' in a crochetalong  Smiley
I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this and stealing your ideas lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
kakariki
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007 08:54:32 AM »

I'm definitely in!  This pretty much describes my crafting.  I pretty much use recycled material for everything I make and I try and make everything to have a practical purpose, even if it's just for wearing.

Yay  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://radicalcrossstitch.com
Seriously Seditious Stitching
http://radicalrags.etsy.com
Check out the world's most radical craft podcast
http://radicalcrossstitch.com/craftcartel
Fabric of Resistance radical craft wiki
http://radicalcrossstitch.com/wiki
pawnshoppromises
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007 10:55:33 AM »

I'm so in on this!

Currently, I'm working on cutting plastic bags into strips so that I can crochet a few shopping totes with them. Both my mother and grandmother work at a grocery store, though, so it shouldn't take too long before I have enough!

I can't wait to see what other ideas everyone comes up with! I'm all for helping out Mother Nature! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 Personal Swaps and can crochet pretty much anything! PM me!

My Etsy
My Ravelry
My Wist
linzo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007 04:07:09 PM »

I am so happy to see people responding to this Cheesy
hmmmm... what if we did it sort of like a eco-topic and then we all sort of craft our own solutions to the issue raised.
basically like
may: eco friendly cleaning?
(craft a eco-friendly cleaning kit, reusable swiffer covers, dusting?, craft a clothes drying rack, washcloths, shower scrubbies, etc.....)

june: reducing plastic waste?
(grocery bags, crafts using grocery bags, any other creative crafty ideas)

july: make your "garbage" into something reusable?
(......)
august: reducing paper waste?
(journals, make "new" paper, recycled into cards, etc....)

This of course is a very rough sketch of how it could go... so it would sort of be a craftalong/ challenge for yourself to try something green each month but in your own way, I think that would be fun and get more poeple interested. Any input or ideas is more than welcome... Grin
Tell me what you think Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...but for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, and count every beautiful thing we can see...
- Neutral Milk Hotel
pacasha
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007 04:26:52 PM »

Yippee!!! i love this thread!

ok. May... cleaning... my mom is a nurse in the OR and brings home surg rag things which would normally get thrown away (they haven't been used) and i use them for washing dishes, dusting, even in my baby's cloth diapers. i dry them out after use on a CLOTHES LINE outside and wash them on COLD once a week, after letting them soak a little in bleach. (i do all my laundry on cold, it cleans very well!)
i highly recommend that if you have a friend or family member in the healthcare field to ask them what they throw away and if they can sneak them to you (clean, of course!).
i use these things called 'vag swabs' (yeah, use your imagination) to clean and my baby plays with them in the bath.

oh, and google all the uses for lemons, baking soda, white vinegar and salt and never buy awful chemicals again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linzo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007 04:31:36 PM »

pacasha... vag swabs.... too funny. your reusing of them and everything else is awesome. Great tips too... thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Neutral Milk Hotel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 65 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Surprising Facts About Girl Scout Cookies
How to Make Double Chocolate Brownies
How to Make Carrot Cake with Creamy Frosting
Heather Saffer Makes Cookie Dough Frosting and Chocolate Chip Cookie Wafers
How to Make a Healthier Chocolate Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...