A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eco-craftalong  (Read 73848 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lady4feet
« Reply #630 on: June 26, 2009 07:13:08 AM »

I really want to do a solar cooker this summer. I looked up the plans now I just need to find my supplies and just do it.

I really like your bags ysmeine, love the patchwork look.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #631 on: June 28, 2009 02:11:41 PM »

These are pics of my solar cooker as is. It needs a little love. I was going to use it today, but I didn't wake up until 1:30. You really need to take advantage of the noon day sun.

here is the basic cooker without the reflector

here it is resting on the fooseball table

The window needs to be re-adhered and I need to replace floppy sides of reflector. I can remove two feet on the table or add a wedge to tilt toward the sun if needed. The table lifts it up off the ground so it is a little easier to use. The table could use a little love as well.

I saved the rods/paddles from the fooseball table. I plan to use them for curtain rods some day. I need to make button tab curtains for the boys room.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009 02:14:38 PM by ysmeine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #632 on: June 28, 2009 03:34:03 PM »

Partially, updated. I painted the inside of the table, made a temporary fix of lid, and added fixtures to the table.

I used the pre-existing holes to add hooks for utelsils and added a rod for tilting toward sun. I need to add longer legs.

here it is angled

fresh coat of paint and rod in holes. this can be moed to another set of holes to have it flat.

adhereing plexy glass scrap instead of packaging plastic. The plastic was all wrinkled. I need to find a better way for attatching the plexy glass. Painter's tape is a temporary fix, but at leat there wont be fumes in my food. I'm not sure if it will hold up to steam, but I can't find my duct tape.

new window, if you compare it to the one in previous post, you will see that it is much better.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #633 on: June 29, 2009 10:22:04 AM »

Thanks for posting your pics. I love your use of the fooseball table to angle it. What all have you made in yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #634 on: June 29, 2009 11:04:55 AM »

The hawiian style pork was good, liquid smoke, soy sauce, and brown sugar marinade. I was planning on making bbq chicken this past weekend, but I kept waking up after noon. My cooked carrots were semi crisp. They needed more time, but the clouds intervened.

Although it does work, it does require certain conditions. And working 3rd shift, makes it difficult to use very often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #635 on: September 02, 2009 06:26:32 AM »

Wow, thanks for posting the solar cooker. I am working on several models at the moment as well (will post soon), but I am not yet happy with the results. It works every time: as soon as I put my cooker out in the sun, the clouds come up Grin Just right now, a pot full of rice and vegetables refuses to get more than lukewarm... whereas yesterday, when I tried a new design with just water, it worked fine... sigh...
I haven't tried the four reflector box that you used, I have some questions:
It looks like there is no direct sunlight in the box, is it right that all the sun rays come from the reflectors, is that really enough? Or does tilting the box make sun get into it?
How do you handle the uneven bottom when you tilt the cooker? Do you use a big pot so there is room for the food to tilt? Or do you have something in your cooker that makes the pot stand even?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysmeine
« Reply #636 on: September 02, 2009 01:01:33 PM »

I do tilt it toward the sun, it doesn't have to be a big angle as I start it before noon to take advantage of the suns angle. You do have to redirect it often. I do use a black enamel roasting pan, the advantage is it absorbs the suns rays and holds the heat in. I don't use a lot of liquid in my cooker. Although I do have a spring top jar that I use on occasion. It is painted black with clear windows. The problem is it takes more time to cook and a sunny day, without any scattered clouds. It would be possible to level the pot with a bean bag. This would allow you to reshape for different angles and still be stable. Although, I want as much of the suns rays to get inside the pan as possible so I tilt it as well. I also cut up my meats for faster cooking and spread it out some. You are cooking at a lower temp with a limited time. Which is why the jar takes longer, it is all bunched up.

I do have plans to reshape the reflector, it really should have more of an angle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marcusandila
Fairy Tales are Real

A TRUE LOVE Story Never Ends

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #637 on: September 10, 2009 01:28:02 PM »

hmmm im not sure where else to post this, but do ya'll know of any homemade all-purpose liquid cleaners that do not require vinegar. I hate the smell of vinegar [even apple cider vinegar] & lately I can't stand cleaning with it. Any ideas? It probably was asked already but honestly I didnt read through all 64 pages....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG
MY PINTEREST
Momma to Cade & Cas
*Personal Swap? Yeahhh!*
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 10, 2009 05:33:58 PM »

hmmm im not sure where else to post this, but do ya'll know of any homemade all-purpose liquid cleaners that do not require vinegar. I hate the smell of vinegar [even apple cider vinegar] & lately I can't stand cleaning with it. Any ideas? It probably was asked already but honestly I didnt read through all 64 pages....

I haven't tried these out yet, as I only just ran across them in an e-care newsletter, but they sound excellent:

Tea Tree Treasure

Nothing natural works for mold and mildew as well as this spray. Ive used it successfully on a moldy ceiling from a leaking roof,_on a musty bureau, a musty rug and a moldy shower curtain. Tea tree oil is expensive, but a little goes a very long way. Note that the smell of tea tree oil is very strong, but it will dissipate in a few days.

2 teaspoons tea tree oil
2 cups water
Combine in a spray bottle, shake to blend, and spray on problem areas. Do not rinse. Makes about 2 cups, lasts indefinitely.

Grapefruit Seed Extract
The advantage of using grapefruit seed extract instead of tea tree oil for killing mold is that it is odorless.

20 drops grapefruit seed extract
2 cups water
Combine in a spray bottle, shake to blend, and spray on problem areas. Do not rinse. Makes about 2 cups, lasts indefinitely.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009 05:44:11 PM by PimpernelSmith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #639 on: September 10, 2009 05:48:13 PM »

Thanks for the tip about grapefruit seed extract.  I can't handle the smell of tea tree oil, and vinegar gets real strong after awhile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw an Architectural Detail
How to Draw an Architectural Wall Section
How to Draw an Elevation
How to Draw a Floor Plan
Eric Daman Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...