A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eco-craftalong  (Read 74933 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: January 04, 2009 08:19:34 PM »

I'm working on paper crafts, since I have a ton of Christmas cards and calendars.  So far, I've made buttons, boxes and bows.  Any other ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #621 on: January 04, 2009 08:37:46 PM »

I'm working on paper crafts, since I have a ton of Christmas cards and calendars.  So far, I've made buttons, boxes and bows.  Any other ideas?

Do you have many paper punches in different shapes? I saw someone on some site make wall art out of teardrop-shaped cutouts from Christmas cards that were arranged into floral designs, and they didn't have a "holidays" look at all. I also knew a lady who stenciled a teapot design, and cut these teapots out of the Christmas cards, then used them as tags for giving tea-related gift sets (i.e. tea bags in a mug with a packet of shortbread), and they were very cute. And one more thing I'd like to try, cutting out and collecting a bunch of images of the same thing, like a bunch of different renditions of wise men or baby Jesuses, for some unknown future use...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: January 04, 2009 09:02:35 PM »

Do you have many paper punches in different shapes? I saw someone on some site make wall art out of teardrop-shaped cutouts from Christmas cards that were arranged into floral designs, and they didn't have a "holidays" look at all. I also knew a lady who stenciled a teapot design, and cut these teapots out of the Christmas cards, then used them as tags for giving tea-related gift sets (i.e. tea bags in a mug with a packet of shortbread), and they were very cute. And one more thing I'd like to try, cutting out and collecting a bunch of images of the same thing, like a bunch of different renditions of wise men or baby Jesuses, for some unknown future use...

Thanks for the suggestions.  I forgot that I had paper punches in a few different shapes.  I could probably make a whole new set of cards for all occasions.  I might even try to do some stencilling.  I actually have a couple of punches that are larger than the usual.

I'm not sure that I have the patience for cutting out images.  I usually cut shapes (circles, squares, triangles) of different scenes and use them for collage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #623 on: January 11, 2009 06:28:55 AM »

An australian musical instrument from bottle caps, looks odd but I was at a concert once and someone was using it, it is a fantastic percussion instrument!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V765BHbD0R8

http://www.geocities.com/painless47/waste/lager/lager.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #624 on: January 11, 2009 07:29:40 AM »

Wow!  This is a really great idea.  I love the sound of it.

Next project!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #625 on: January 11, 2009 08:01:29 AM »

Oh wow edel thanks for the link! I followed a link the band had posted in a comment and found there info page and more clips about it http://groanboxboys.com/boot.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #626 on: January 11, 2009 12:44:25 PM »

it really is an odd instrument, I was at a fair and there was this bluesy/country/folk type group playing and one of them had a lagerphone, I had never seen one before and had to take a closer look, in trying to find links for the post it appears that there are different kinds, the one I saw had a notched section on the main pole and the player used a kind of drum stick to run it up and down the notches to make all the bottle-caps move. Sounded fabulous. Definitely one to make for a musician friend. Only problem is that you need a lot of bottle caps!! But I guess a local bar would be a good place to start looking!.

lady4feet, I just found that group on youtube, they are good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #627 on: January 11, 2009 06:45:18 PM »

Here's another website where you can see the lagerphone up close.

http://www.davidbruce.net/passions/224.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #628 on: June 24, 2009 03:55:49 PM »

I have been working on some green ideas to use in my home for the past year.

I have used squares of unused cotton fabric for paper towel substitutes. I don't finish the edges on most of them a it is alot of work. I do press and fold them after each washing. I store them in a square cookie jar for easy access. This ha seemed to cut down on paper towel usage, but some have gotten lost. So I made more and found a mesh bag to toss them in after use. they can be washed in this, then they are handy when I am ready to press them. I know pressing them is abit extra, but I feel better putting a sandwich on them when they are pressed. If they get stained then they move on to the rag bin.

I have made several shopping bags and a couple market bags.

The market bags were made from natural, sustainable fibers.

The shopping bags were peices from scrap fabrics. These are jut a few.

For summer, I am planning on reworking my solar cooker. It was made from a storage tub, the window in the lid is from some clear packaging. It needs to be reattatched, it is coming loose on one side. It is insulated with newspaper and line with heavy black plastic to help absorb the heat. To cook I use my black enamel roasting pan. Metal helps to absorb and retain the heat and it helps to have a black pan to absorb the heat. The reflector is cardboard covered with a emergency blanket. This needs a little love too. Some of the cardboard is saggy. I am using a broken fooseball table as a stand for it. I think I will paint this to make it pretty and add some stabilizers. I hope to get before and after pictures soon. It does work well on sunny days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: June 24, 2009 04:54:43 PM »

Great job.  I'd love to see your solar cooker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Baseball Jacket
Vintage Bowles - Shopping at Didier Ludot in Paris
Jeanius - Selby Drummond on Ripped Jeans
Met Gala - The 2013 Met Gala Red Carpet Livestream
Vintage Bowles - Shopping Odetta Vintage in Paris
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...