A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: button shirt to toddler dress recon *MINTY FRESH TUTORIAL*  (Read 712723 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , tutorial , recon , shirt , craftster_best_of_2007 , kids_clothing , toddler , girls_clothes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pumpkinbear
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2007 05:57:24 PM »

I wonder if this could be sized up to a size 7?  I want to make a few things for my fiancee's niece and this would be adorable!

Unfortunately, the size of the dress is limited by the size of the shirt you start out with. I do recons with T-shirts, and I can get a small 4T out of an X-large. If you got a larger shirt and/or made a shorter dress, it certainly could work, or maybe if you used two shirts and pieced a bodice from one and a skirt from another. Maybe you could hold said shirt up to said niece and get a quick and dirty idea of how it would hang on her, length- and width-wise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheytown
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2007 09:37:36 PM »

Too adoarble!  Both dresses.  I wonder if this could be sized up to a size 7?  I want to make a few things for my fiancee's niece and this would be adorable!

as pumpkinbear says, you are limited by the size of the original shirt, but i think maybe you could get a size 7 out of a men's XL if you're good. my dress is about a 4T, and i started with a men's M.

obviously, the width of the bodice is no problem - your kiddo is (hopefully) not going to be as big around as an XL man. i don't think the length will be a problem, and if it is, you just add a contrasting band at the bottom. the width of the skirt is where you might have an issue. the few girl's dress patterns that i have that go up to size 7 list the finished width at 43-44 inches. i just measured a couple of DH's XL button shirts and they are 44-48 inches wide. if you figure in seam allowance, it's close, but you could probably squeak by.

if the width of the skirt is a problem, i guess another option would be to get creative with godets (or would it be a gores? anyway, triangular pieces going from bottom of bodice to hemline). it would be pretty simple to add some at the side seams. i'm pretty sure there are tutorials here on craftster that you could reference for that sort of thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2007 09:53:57 PM »

Okay, Cheytown.  Have I told you yet that I think you are a freakin' genius???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubberduckie
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2007 01:04:22 AM »

This totally ROCKS! you are so creative - I love how you used the button front for the back of the dress, and the lined yoke for the bodice - saves so much time! Very nicely finished. The knife pleats DO like nice though  - give the dress a nice professional finish too. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love what you do and do it with all the passion you have inside you.
anneR
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2007 06:05:13 AM »

I seriously love this - the dress(es) look awesome! I might have to go rummaging through hubby's closet when I get home, he's got lots of nice and PINK shirts he doesn't use...
He changes his shirt wardrobe every season - goes with the job - so he chucks out heaps of nice material ever so often. I do my best to salvage the pieces worth saving, and now I have another reason to do so! <3 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--------------
Anne in Sweden
doityourselflearner
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2007 09:59:55 PM »

Wow, great dress even though I like the shirt itself...  THe dress and your daughter looks so cute.   Do you think I can make this dress for 1yr old with women't small/medium size shirt?    If you don't mind me asking, what is lined yoke and godet?  Newbie here..
Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007 10:56:29 PM by doityourselflearner » THIS ROCKS   Logged
notverytalented
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2007 11:25:25 PM »

Thank you for such a clear and well done tutorial.  This is so nice.

My first thought was how cute mens flannel winter shirts would be for this as a jumper.  Put a turtleneck underneath and you'd have a great cool weather outfit.  I live in a winter climate, so even in our warmest months (high no more than 75,) a sundress doesn't get much wear.

This is just darling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smoon26
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2007 07:59:07 AM »

This is seriously THE cutest recon I've ever seen. 

WONDERFUL, and I've already downloaded the tut--now to go through my husbands clothes!  Or maybe the clearance racks?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jutybo
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2007 09:57:47 AM »

Wow... gorgeous... brilliant... I LOVE IT!!!  What a fantastic recon!!  Hit "This Rocks", added to Bookmarks, and now searching for a good/ugly shirt...  Thank you so much for the tut which is perfectly clear and easy to read, even with the math parts.  Thank you thank you!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2007 11:48:18 AM »

My first thought was how cute mens flannel winter shirts would be for this as a jumper.  Put a turtleneck underneath and you'd have a great cool weather outfit.  I live in a winter climate, so even in our warmest months (high no more than 75,) a sundress doesn't get much wear.

This is just darling.

Genius! Pure genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find the Perfect Un-Granny Panty
3 DIYs That Will Test the Versatility of the Basic Tee
High Street Edit: 2 Outfits from Primark
How to Style a Pinstripe Dress
The Better Way to Tie a T-Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Palette Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...