I was in need of a magazine rack but refused to pay good money on such a simple item. After staring at a cardboard box for a while I came up with this:
and some other angles, with a view of the wood base bottom right:
so if anyone's interested here's my quick how to:
1. Take a standard box, remove top flaps and cut in half down line a
2. On one half, score along line b
and fold inwards to create the base.
3. Use a craft knife to cut and remove the blacked out triangles then slice through the edge marked in red
4. Score along the blue lines
and fold out. Then take the other half of the box and place it edge down in between the blue folds.
5. Tape and glue the thing till you think it won't budge and find something heavy to stick into the base for stability (I had the base from a CD rack hanging round). I ended up sticking extra card over most of the base to cover joins on the box and prevent crumple.
Still need to think of ideas to decorate it - certainly gonna trim down the top edges so they look more attractive and prevent them flapping around.
Hope you like!