A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers  (Read 36094 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eddiebird
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2005 08:55:49 PM »

I'm working on the the thumb gusset and have just finished the first two rows. What stitches are used between the markers? Are they are all purl, are they all knit, or do you try to duplicate the 2x2 ribbing in a nice way in between all those increases? And if you're supposed to do that, how do you do it so that it looks nice? I've tried putting a 2x2 rib in between the markers but however I do it, it just looks like a mess. A big mess. I'm tired of ripping. Help!!!

Maria
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2005 10:54:56 PM »

hey Maria, Just knit between the markers.  You'll save yourself a LOT of trouble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eddiebird
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2005 09:13:38 AM »

I was determined to finish the first armwarmer last night no matter what. I did manage to space a 2x2 rib precisely in the middle of the gusset but when I was finished, you really couldn't tell. Between the texture and color changes of the Noro and the length of the gusset (a half inch?) I don't think it matters WHAT stitches you decide to use. Sheesh.  Thanks for letting me know about continuing with just knitting in stockinette stitch between the increases. I will do that with confidence when I start the left arm warmer. :-) You might want to add that to your list of corrections. I have never knitted gloves before so everything was new to me.

Despite all the frustration in trying to figure out the instructions and tracking down the corrections on-line, I have to say I am glad I persevered. The armwarmers are SO cool. I just love them. After I finish the second arm warmer tonight, I'm going to start another pair!

Thanks again,
Maria

THIS ROCKS   Logged
talkingcrow
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2005 03:35:02 PM »

I'm just starting the gusset on my first armwarmer, and i too had a bit of a mess the first time around about reading the chart symbols backwards.  I got input at my local knitting group which amounted to "that looks like a poopy mess, are you sure you are doing that right?"  In honor of that (and hopefully to kick this horse some more and save others the trauma) I will post what I said to them.  Thank you Ne for watching the forum and being so darned helpful.  You rock.

... (quote from the other email)
As Jenny so kindly pointed out on Monday (and generally confirmed by everyone else) the cables on my Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers were looking like inconsistent blobs with no actual resemblance to anything other than footsteps in the dog park mud.

So, for the edification of cable beginners who might be starting this project for their own first cable...  I was trying to explain how I was reading the pattern (95% correct, ufortunately the other 5% caused great evil) to Jessica and she just looked at me like I was crazy.  Since you read the pattern right to left for the right glove and left to right for the left glove.  Ok, no problem so far.  However, when I was reading right to left, I was also flipping the stitches.  Meaning, my cables were inverted.  So, don't do that.

It's like this.  If you were to read this sentence backwards:

I like knitting it's fun.

Would you read it like this?

.nuf s'ti gnittink ekil I

Or like this?

.fun it's knitting like I

For cabling the answer is #2.  And the stich symbols are the words.  You keep the stitches intact.  I don't really know why I thought the other way would work.  But I found out that if you *do* do it the other way Jenny will tell you that you have a big poopy mess. Smiley

................... .......

p.s. this is the first time I've knit with Noro.  MMMMMMmmmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Adrienne
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2005 07:20:59 PM »

i started on these this evening. thank heavens for ne and all her help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Touch not the cat bot a glove.
tigerEyes
Super Flirt! *wink*

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2005 05:08:32 AM »

Here's my take on the armwarmers:

I used a seed stitch instead of ribbing all the way up and used a 4x6 cable.  The thumb gusset wasn't hard but I did have a problem with joining the yarn and trying to do a rib with only 13 stitches.  All and all I would make these again.  And yes you can make this project using the two circular needles method but it's easier with dpn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurenpowells.com - coming spring 2006
glitterbug

Glitter is in my blood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2005 05:48:55 AM »

I love the yarn you used! I bet they're warm. Does it bother you that they come so far up your fingers? I want to make these, but I think I  might have to make them shorted above the thumb hole.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

femmie, artsy, pinko, commie, hippie geek
http://55bisous.typepad.com
goodcleanfungirl
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2005 11:27:50 AM »

here are my armwarmers just finished a few days ago. i used kuryeon #88 like the ones in the book. i fiddled with the two skeins to get them to semi-match. the leftovers are going to be a hat.  i pretty much followed the instructions in the book. the only annoying thing was having to go out and make a reverse copy of the chart for the left mitt. other than that it was easy peasy and i like them a lot.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2005 11:49:05 AM »

Very pretty!
That particular colorway really works with the leaves.
-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sybilicious
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2005 03:05:46 PM »

Can we go back to the big poopy mess discussion?  I've made the first armwarmer successfully, following the chart.  Now I'm on the 2nd with the reversed chart and ripped most of out because it didn't look right.  It was hard to see exactly what was wrong because me colors closer to the cuff are darker, but the wines didn't look like they were travelling up the glove smoothly.

I'm reading the chart from L to R and grouping stitches together (like the 3 sts together still stay together and are knit front, back, front).  I think my problem is with the cabled stitches.  Say on the R glove, reading from L to R, there were 2 stitches that I worked as follows: hold 1 to the front on cn, K1, P1 off cn.  When I get to that 2-stitch symbol on the L glove, do I do the same thing (hold 1 to the front on cn, K1, P1 off cn) or reverse it to hold 1 to the front on cn, P1, K1 off cn?  Or something else?  I just cannot visualize it...

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Nutella and Banana Panini
Drunkin Donuts & Cragels Hit New York’s Pastry Scene
Homemade Beignets Recipe for Mardi Gras
Prosecco-Infused Pound Cake Recipe
Frozen Peanut Butter Bites Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...