A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,375
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Never made jewelry before - how do I do this?  (Read 635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

myclouds
« on: May 13, 2007 12:25:01 PM »

I bought a string of turquoise for VERY cheap while I was in Turkey. I have been lookinh for a turquoise necklace forever, but they are expensive. I would like to simply put these beads on a necklace. 1 string, a simple clasp. I have never entered this realm of crafting before. Can you just tell me what exactly I need to buy, and do? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007 02:49:32 AM »

You will need a clasp, stringing material, and everything else depends on what kind of clasp and what kind of stringing material you choose!

For heavy stuff like turquoise, I'd use tiger tail. This means you will need to use crimp beads to attach the clasp. There are speical pliers for crimping; I just use regular toothed pliers and squash the crimps flat, but this is very unprofessional and I shouldn't recommend it, even if it does work, saves buying andother pair of pliers and, to be honest, it doesn't look that bad either. *smirks*
If you want to just use beading thread, however, you will have to knot the thread onto the clasp and use French wire (aka lots of things) to protect it. I found a tute for that somewhere... http://beadwork.about.com/cs/beadshowtos/ht/frenchwire.htm here it is!

Clasp-wise, it depends on what you prefer. There are loads of different types, and basically it depends whether you prefer security or want a decorative clasp. Barrels (aka screw clasps), lobster clasps (aka trigger clasps) and bolt rings (aka spring rings) are all pretty good, secure ways of fastening a necklace. Toggle clasps can be very pretty indeed, but they are not so secure IMO, and personally I wouldn't trust magnetic clasps at all, though some people adore them. Take note of how heavy your beads are.

The Beadalon website http://www.beadalon.com has lots of information about stringing materials, beading and crimping under their FAQ section. Their catalogue has useful pictures of different types of clasp (page 29-31). Do bear in mind that they are trying to sell their own products, though, and your local craft shop probably has cheaper alternatives! They also have a lot of gadgets that you probably won't need, ever Cheesy For bead stringing you can pretty much stick with the crimping pliers, tool-wise. You need more for wire work but that's another rant entirely Grin

I hope this hasn't confused you too much. It's not all as complicated as the explanation makes it sound! I really have to go now, but PM me with any further/more specific questions and I'll be happy to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
riario
:*

expecting our first!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007 08:07:16 AM »

when I started making jewelry I found that the easiest thing to use were pre-made chains like this
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=bd0067&channelid=
basically one end of the necklace already has the clasp attached and after stringing the beads on you just attach the other end of the clasp with pliers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: J. Edgar
New James Bond Film Titled Skyfall
Will the Arab Spring Affect Films?
Bree Williamson on the Changing of the Film Industry
Behind the Scenes of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...